ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal halide and Halogen salt > Metal bromide and salt > Aluminum Bromide
Aluminum Bromide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:94-98 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:265 °C
- Density 3.205 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor pressure 1 mm Hg ( 81.3 °C)
- Flash point:268°C subl.
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility Soluble in benzene, nitrobenzene, toluene, xylene, ether, simple hydrocarbons, alcohol, carbon disulfide, ether.
- form powder
- color White to orange
- Specific Gravity2.64
- Water Solubility decomposes
- Sensitive Moisture Sensitive
- Merck 14,332
- Stability:Stable, but reacts violently with water. Incompatible with aqueous solutions, alcohols, acids.
- CAS DataBase Reference7727-15-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceAluminum tribromide(7727-15-3)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemAluminum bromide (AlBr3) (7727-15-3)
- Hazard Codes C,Xi,N,F
- Risk Statements 23/24/25-34-22-14-67-65-50/53-11-52/53-20
- Safety Statements 9-16-26-29-36/37/39-43-45-60-61-62-28-27
- RIDADR UN 3264 8/PG 2
- WGK Germany 3
- RTECS BD0350000
- F 21
- Hazard Note Irritant
- TSCA Yes
- HazardClass 8
- PackingGroup II
- HS Code 28275900
- Hazardous Substances Data7727-15-3(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 orally in Rabbit: 1598 mg/kg
Aluminum Bromide Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionAluminum bromide is a light-yellow colored liquid or colorless monoclinic crystals. Very corrosive to skin, eyes and mucous membranes, moderately poisonous. Aluminum bromide is an inorganic binary compound. The substance is a salt of aluminum and bromine-hydrogen acid. it exists in form of a dimer. The commercial use of aluminum bromide is relatively insignificant at the moment. Aluminum bromide belongs as the main component to xylene electrolytes for electric precipitation of aluminum coatings. The anhydrous aluminum bromide is used in organic synthesis, in particular, in the alkylation reaction or Friedel-Crafts reaction by analogy with aluminum chloride.This compound can be catalyst in a bromo-alkanes` isomerizating reaction. Aluminum bromide can also be used as bromating agent, for example, in a reaction with chloroform.
- UsesThe anhydrous form is used as a catalyst for the Friedel-Crafts alkylation reaction. Its catalytic activity is similar to anhydrous AlCl3. Commercial applications, however, are few.
- PreparationPrepared from bromine and metallic aluminum.
2Al + 3Br2 →Al2Br6 (anhydrous)
- ReactionsDecomposes upon heating in air to bromine and metallic aluminum.
2 AlBr3→ 2Al + 3Br2
Reacts with carbon tetrachloride at 100°C to form carbon tetrabromide;
4AlBr3 + 3CCl4 → 4AlCl3 + 3Br4
Reaction with phosgene yields carbonyl bromide and aluminum chlorobromide;
AlBr3 + COCl2 → COBr2 + AlCl2Br
Reacts violently with water; absorbs moisture forming hexahydrate, AlBr3⋅6H2O
- Chemical PropertiesWhite Crystalline Powder
- Physical propertiesColorless crystalline solid in anhydrous form; melts at 97.5°C; boils at 256°C;density 3.01 g/cm3 at 25°C; moisture sensitive, fumes in air; soluble in water (reacts violently in cold water, and decomposes in hot water, alcohols, acetone, hexane, benzene, nitrobenzene, carbon disulfide and many other organic sol_x0002_vents).
- UsesAnhydrous: bromination, alkylation, and isomerization catalyst in organic synthesis.
- PreparationPrepared from bromine and metallic aluminum.
2Al + 3Br2 ——? Al2Br6 (anhydrous).
- General DescriptionA white to yellowish-red, lumpy solid with a pungent odor.
- Reactivity ProfileAn acid. May catalyze organic reactions. Corrosive to metals. Solutions of aluminum bromide in dichloromethane should be kept cold as a potentially dangerous exothermic halide exchange reaction occurs on warming, [Acc. Chem. Res., 1986, 19(3), 78].
- HazardThe anhydrous form reacts violently with water; corrosive to skin.
- Health HazardCORROSIVE and/or TOXIC; inhalation, ingestion or contact (skin, eyes) with vapors, dusts or substance may cause severe injury, burns or death. Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Reaction with water may generate much heat that will increase the concentration of fumes in the air. Contact with molten substance may cause severe burns to skin and eyes. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution.
- Fire HazardEXCEPT FOR ACETIC ANHYDRIDE (UN1715), THAT IS FLAMMABLE, some of these materials may burn, but none ignite readily. May ignite combustibles (wood, paper, oil, clothing, etc.). Substance will react with water (some violently), releasing corrosive and/or toxic gases and runoff. Flammable/toxic gases may accumulate in confined areas (basement, tanks, hopper/tank cars, etc.). Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated or if contaminated with water. Substance may be transported in a molten form.
- Safety ProfileA toxic, corrosive material. See also BROMIDES and ALUMINUM COMPOUNDS. Mixtures with sodium or potassium explode violently upon impact. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of Br-. Do not add H2O to anhydrous material. Hydrolysis can be violent.
- Purification MethodsReflux it and then distil it from pure aluminium chips in a stream of nitrogen into a flask containing more of the chips. It is then distilled under vacuum into ampoules [Tipper & Walker J Chem Soc 1352 1959]. Anhydrous conditions are essential, and the white to very light brown solid distillate can be broken into lumps in a dry-box (under nitrogen). It fumes in moist air. [Becher in Handbook of Preparative Inorganic Chemistry (Ed. Brauer) Academic Press Vol I p 812-813 1963.]
Aluminum Bromide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- BTS-CATALYST Potassium bromide Phosphorus tribromide Cuprous bromide ALUMINIUMALLOY Methyl bromide Ethidium bromide Trimethylsulfonium bromide Benzyl bromide Hydrogen bromide Aluminum Boron tribromide Tetrabutylammonium bromide Aluminum Bromide Calcium bromide Ammonium bromide Clidinium bromide Sodium bromate
- Company Name:Jinan JiaEast Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Company Name:Beijing dtftchem Technology Co., Ltd.