ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Nervous system drugs > Sedative and hypnotic > Calcium bromide
Calcium bromide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:730°C
- Boiling point:806-812°C
- Density 3.353 g/mL at 25 °C (lit.)
- Flash point:806-812°C
- form beads
- Specific Gravity3.353
- color White to off-white
- Water Solubility Soluble in water, methanol, ethanol and acetone. Insoluble in dioxane, chloroform and ether.
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,1654
- CAS DataBase Reference7789-41-5(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceCalcium dibromide(7789-41-5)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemCalcium bromide (CaBr2) (7789-41-5)
Calcium bromide Usage And Synthesis
- UsesCalcium bromide (CaBr2) is used as a developer for photographic film and paper and as a dehydrating agent (drying agent), food preservative, and fire retardant.
- DescriptionCalcium bromide has the chemical formula CaBr2. It
was first prepared by Pfeiffer, Klossmann and Angern
in 1924. It is a deliquescent salt that has the form of
colorless hexagonal crystals that are soluble in water and absolute alcohol. Its molecular weight is 199.90 g/
mol for the anhydride. When strongly heated in air,
calcium bromide will produce CaO (lime) and Br2. It
is generally obtained as the dihydrate, CaBr2·2H2O,
in the form of a white crystalline powder. A hexahydrate,
CaBr2·6H2O, is also known. Anhydrous calcium
bromide is obtained by dehydration (250°C, vacuum)
of the dihydrate CaBr2·2H2O. On contact with hot
surfaces or flames, CaBr2 decomposes forming
bromine as a toxic and corrosive fume. It also reacts
with strong acids to produce corrosive fumes of
In its solid anhydrous state, it is a white powder. CaBr2 can be found in drilling muds, neuroses medication, freezing mixtures, food preservatives, photography and fire retardants. The anhydride has a melting point of 730°C and a boiling point of 810°C where it decomposes. Its density is 3.41 g/cm3. It is moderately soluble in water at 142 g/100 ml of water.
- Chemical PropertiesCalciumbromide, CaBr2, is a colorless crystalline solid with a melting point of 765°C. It is deliquescent and is soluble in water and absolute alcohol. Calcium bromide is used in medicine. Calcium bromide(hydrated), CaBr2·3H20, has a meiting point of 80.5℃.
- UsesIn photography for making dry plates and light-sensitive papers; manufacture of mineral waters, NH4Br, fire-extinguishing compositions.
- UsesMade by the action of hydrobromic acid on calcium oxide and crystallization. The white granular crystals are soluble in water. Calcium bromide was used in making collodion emulsions, particularly for dye-sensitized plates.
- UsesCalcium bromide has a number of useful applications. Used in the oil and gas fields, the compound is a true working example. At almost every stage of the oil and gas extraction process, calcium bromide has found extensive usage. Stability, dependability and ease of use distinguish calcium bromide in the drilling process. There, it is used in “drilling muds” worldwide.
- PreparationCaBr2·2H2O has a melting point of 38°C where it
dissolves in its own waters of hydration. Its density is
2.290 g/cm3. It can be prepared by reaction in solution
with HBr on the carbonate:
CaCO3 (solid)＋HBr (liq)→CaBr2 (liq)＋ CO2 (gas)
An improved method for producing calcium bromide has been developed by reacting hydrogen bromide with calcium hydroxide in the presence of water.
Calcium bromide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Bromoacetyl bromide Palladium bromide Potassium bromide Sodium bromide CADMIUM BROMIDE TETRAHYDRATE 1-Bromohexane Benzyl bromide Bromoethane Calcium bromide Sodium bromate Methyl bromide Calcium chloride Calcium nitrate Calcium carbide Ethidium bromide Calcium carbonate ZINC BROMIDE/CALCIUM BROMIDE calcium bis(4-O-(beta-D-galactosyl)-]Dgluconate) - calcium bromide (1:1) ,CALCIUM BIS(4-O-(BETA-D-GALACTOPYRANOSYL)-D-GLUCONATE)--CALCIUM BROMIDE (1:1)
- Company Name:Tianjin Zhongxin Chemtech Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:BeiJing Hwrk Chemicals Limted
- Tel:18516978288 0757-86329057-