ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Amides > Amino compound > N-Methyldiethanolamine
N-Methyldiethanolamine Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-21 °C
- Boiling point:246-248 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.038 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 4 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 0.01 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:260 °F
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- form Liquid
- color Clear colorless to light yellow
- PH Range11.5 at 100 g/l at 20 °C
- PH11.5 (100g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- explosive limit0.9-8.4%(V)
- Water Solubility MISCIBLE
- BRN 1734441
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference105-59-9(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceMethyldiethanolamine(105-59-9)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemN-Methyldiethanolamine (105-59-9)
N-Methyldiethanolamine Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesN-Methyldiethanolamine (MDEA) is a colorless to yellow viscous liquid with an ammonia-like odor. It is completely soluble in water. N-Methyldiethanolamine is an alkyl alkanolamine.It combines the chemical characteristics of both amines and alcohols so that it is capable of undergoing reactions typical of both alcohols and amines: forming quaternary amine salts, soaps, and esters.
- UsesN-methyldiethanolamine is used as an intermediate in the synthesis of numerous products. Its unique chemistry has resulted in its use in diverse areas, including coatings, textile lubricants, polishes, detergents, pesticides, personal-care products, pharmaceuticals, urethane catalysts, and water-treatment chemicals. It is also used in absorption of acidic gases, catalyst for polyurethane foams, pH control agent.
- PreparationN-methyldiethanolamine is produced by the reaction between ethylene oxide and methylamine.
- Synthesis Reference(s)Journal of the American Chemical Society, 107, p. 6659, 1985 DOI: 10.1021/ja00309a039
- General DescriptionColorless liquid.
- Air & Water ReactionsVery water soluble .
- Reactivity ProfileN-Methyldiethanolamine is an aminoalcohol. Amines are chemical bases. They neutralize acids to form salts plus water. These acid-base reactions are exothermic. The amount of heat that is evolved per mole of amine in a neutralization is largely independent of the strength of the amine as a base. Amines may be incompatible with isocyanates, halogenated organics, peroxides, phenols (acidic), epoxides, anhydrides, and acid halides. Flammable gaseous hydrogen is generated by amines in combination with strong reducing agents, such as hydrides. N-Methyldiethanolamine may react with oxidizing materials.
- Health HazardExposure can cause irritation of eyes, nose and throat.
- Fire HazardSpecial Hazards of Combustion Products: Irritating vapors and toxic gases, such as nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxide, may be formed when involved in fire.
- Environmental FateN-methyldiethanolamine is readily biodegradable, and its bioconcentration potential is low. Releases to the environment would not persist and would degrade rapidly. The potential for mobility in soil is very high. It is slightly toxic to aquatic organisms on an acute basis.
- storageN-methyldiethanolamine is stable under normal storage and use conditions, but elevated temperatures can cause it to decompose. Decomposition products depend upon temperature, air supply, and the presence of other materials. Avoid contact with nitrites, strong acids, and strong oxidizers. Avoid unintended contact with halogenated hydrocarbons. N-methyldiethanolamine can react with halogenated organics, resulting in temperature and/or pressure increases. It is corrosive when wet. Heating above 60°C (140°F) in the presence of aluminum can result in corrosion and generation of flammable hydrogen gas.
N-Methyldiethanolamine Preparation Products And Raw materials
- N-Methyldioctylamine N-Methyldidecylamine METHYLDIETHANOLAMINE (DIETHYL-13C4) 2,2'-[[(5-Methyl-1H-benzotriazol-1-yl)methyl]imino]bisethanol N-methylethanolamine TRIETHANOLAMINE BORATE N-N-bis(2-hydroxyethyl)formamide N-Methyliminodiacetic acid N-BENZYLIMINODIACETIC ACID Thymolphthalein Complexone 2,2'-(Butylimino)diethanol TRIETHYLENETETRAMINE-N,N,N',N'',N''',N'''-HEXAACETIC ACID 1,6-DIAMINOHEXANE-N,N,N',N'-TETRAACETIC ACID N,N,N',N'-TETRAKIS(2-HYDROXYETHYL)ETHYLENEDIAMINE N-ETHYLDIETHANOLAMINE 1,2-Diaminopropane-N,N,N',N'-tetraacetic acid 2,2'-(Phenylimino)diethanol N-(2-HYDROXYETHYL)IMINODIACETIC ACID
- Company Name:Cheng Du Micxy Chemical Co.,Ltd Gold
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Tel:400-620-6333 021-20337333-801
- Company Name:Jinan Century Tongda Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:15605418165 156-05418165-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801