Methylene Blue Chemical Properties
- Melting point:190 °C (dec.)(lit.)
- Density 1.0 g/mL at 20 °C
- refractive index n20/D1.347
- Flash point:45 °C
- storage temp. Store at RT
- solubility Soluble in water, ethanol, ethylene glycol, methyl cellosolve
- pka2.6, 11.2(at 25℃)
- form Liquid
- Colour Index 52015
- color Green
- Specific Gravity0.98
- Water Solubility 40 g/L (20 ºC)
- λmax661 nm
- Merck 14,6060
- BRN 3641570
- Biological ApplicationsDetecting microorganisms; treating diabetic retinopathy,macular degeneration,malignant uveal melanomas,erysipelas,hidradenitis suppurativa,inflammation,skin diseases
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceMethylene blue(61-73-4)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemMethylene blue (61-73-4)
Methylene Blue Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertiesgreen fine crystalline powder
- UsesA useful inhibitor of cGMP-mediated processes and a useful stain
- DefinitionChEBI: An organic chloride salt having 3,7-bis(dimethylamino)phenothiazin-5-ium as the counterion. A commonly used dye that also exhibits antioxidant, antimalarial, antidepressant and cardioprotective properties.
- HazardToxic by ingestion.
- Biological ActivityBiological stain and redox indicator. Inhibits tau filament formation (IC 50 = 1.9 μ M). Also inhibits soluble guanylyl cyclase.
- Clinical UseMethylene blue is 3,7-bis(dimethylamino)-phenazathioniumchloride (Urised). The compound occurs as a dark greencrystalline powder with a metallic appearance that is solublein water (1:25) and alcohol (1:65).
Methylene blue has weak antiseptic properties that makeit useful for the treatment of cystitis and urethritis. The actionof methylene blue is considered to be bacteriostatic.The compound colors the urine and stool blue green.
- Safety ProfilePoison by ingestion,intraperitoneal, intravenous, and subcutaneous routes.Human systemic effects: cyanosis, blood changes.Experimental reproductive effects. Mutation datareported. When heated to decomposition it emits verytoxic fumes of NOx, SOx, and
- Veterinary Drugs and TreatmentsMethylene blue is used primarily for treating methemoglobinemia
secondary to oxidative agents (nitrates, chlorates) in ruminants. It
is also employed occasionally as adjunctive or alternative
for cyanide toxicity.
Intra-operative methylene blue is also being used to preferentially stain islet-cell tumors of the pancreas in dogs in order to aid in their surgical removal or in determining the animal’s prognosis.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise the chloride from 0.1M 664 2HCl (16mL/g), the crystals are separated by centrifugation, washed with chilled EtOH and diethyl ether, and dried under vacuum. Crystallise it from 50% aqueous EtOH, wash it with absolute EtOH, and dry it at 50-55o for 24hours. It has also been crystallised from *benzene/MeOH (3:1). It has been salted out with NaCl from a commercial concentrated aqueous solution, then crystallised from water, and dried at 100o in an oven for 8-10hours. [Beilstein 27 III/IV 5152.]
Methylene Blue Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Methylene Blue Direct Blue 14 Potassium chloride Alkaline Phosphatase LITHIUM PERIODATE Sodium chloride 3-Dimethylaminopropylamine Methylene Chloride Basic Blue 17 Cupric carbonate basic Burgess reagent Calcium chloride Choline chloride ACID BLUE 119 Polyvinyl chloride BLOCKING REAGENT GE METHYLENE BLUE, CERTIFIED (C.I. 52015),METHYLENE BLUE, CERTIFIED,CI 52015,CI NO 52015,Methylene Blue BB EhrlichReagent
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009-