Basic information Physical and Chemical Properties Pharmacological effects Uses Safety Related Supplier
Rhein Chemical Properties
- Melting point:≥300 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:346.72°C (rough estimate)
- Density 1.3269 (rough estimate)
- refractive index 1.4413 (estimate)
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- form neat
- Water Solubility <0.1 g/100 mL at 17 ºC
- Merck 14,8176
- BRN 2222155
- CAS DataBase Reference478-43-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry System2-Anthracenecarboxylic acid, 9,10-dihydro-4,5-dihydroxy-9,10-dioxo- (478-43-3)
Rhein Usage And Synthesis
- Physical and Chemical PropertiesThe chemical name of Rhein is 1,8-dihydroxy anthraquinone-3-carboxylic acid, with the molecular formula C15H8O6 and the molecular weight of 284.21. It becomes yellow acicular crystal after sublimation, with the melting point 321~322 ℃ and decomposition temperature 330 ℃ and UVλmax (methanol) 229, 258, 435nm. It is soluble in alkali and pyridine, and slightly soluble in alcohol, ether, benzene, chloroform, petroleum ether, and insoluble in water. It can form red sylvine and pink sodium salt, and form a red precipitate with calcium hydroxide and barium hydroxide.
Production Method: being acquired from the hydrolysis of Rhein diacetic ester.
diethyl acetate. Uses: Current clinical treatment of rheumatic drugs often contain Rhein.
Rhein is extracted from the root of the plant Rheum palmatum L. in Polygonaceae family, which is a anthraquinones and has the functions of antibacterial, anti-cancer, cathartic, and diuretic. The contents of rhein, aloe-emodin and rheum emodin in rhubarb are listed in the following table:
Table 1. The contents of rhein, aloe-emodin and rheum emodin in rhubarb (n=2%).
- Pharmacological effectsThere are chemical compounds chrysophanic acid, rhein, aloe-emodin, rheum emodin, aloe emodin, and Sennoside in rhubarb.
Both the rhein and rheum emodin have the anti-tumor effect, especially a strong inhibitory effect for melanoma and they have certain inhibition on breast cancer and ehrlich’s ascites carcinoma. When rhein was applied to intratumoral administration in mice with breast cancer, there was a significant damaging in the cancer tissue. The inhibition rate of 5mg/kg rhein and rheum emodin on murine melanoma was 76% and 73%, respectively. Rheum emodin has significant competitive inhibition on tyrosinase, and this inhibition may be one of the mechanisms why rhubarb has the anti-melanoma effect. At the concentration of 10μg/ml, Rheum emodin significantly inhibited the cell division and DNA biosynthesis of human lung cancer A-549 cells. After the subcutaneous injection of crude extracts of rhubarb, an inhibition of mouse sarcoma S37 was found. The inhibition rate of Rhein on ehrlich’s ascites carcinoma and sarcoma S180 in mice was 15% and 21%, respectively. The inhibition rate of hot water extracts of Rhubarb on sarcoma S180 in mice was 48.8%.
Rhein has inhibition effect on mouse leukemia P388. Rhein, aloe-emodin and rheum emodin are extracted from rhubarb and these three anthraquinone derivatives could minimize the amount of ascites and the number of cancer cells in different extent in mice with tumors, among which the effect of rhein was most obvious and the effect of aloe-emodin was poorer, with a almost parallel relationship with prolonged survival time. The inhibition of rhein and rheum emodin on biosynthesis of DNA, RNA and protein was stronger, whereas the inhibition of aloe-emodin was weaker.
- UsesMedical intermediate;raw materials of health food.
- Chemical PropertiesYellowish Brown Solid
- UsesFound in the free state and as glucoside in Rheum spp, Polygonaceae (rhubarb) and in Senna leaves. A potential antioxidant resource: endophytic fungi from medicinal plants.
- General DescriptionYellow needles (from methanol) or yellow-brown powder.
- Air & Water ReactionsInsoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileRhein forms a red potassium salt and a pink sodium salt.
- HazardLow toxicity by ingestion.
- Fire HazardFlash point data for Rhein are not available; however, Rhein is probably combustible.
- Safety ProfileA poison by intravenous route. Low toxicity by ingestion. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating vapors.
- Company Name:Taizhou dazhen pharmaceutical co. LTD Gold
- Tel:13004944999 0576-85588683
- Products Intro:Product Name:Rhein
- Company Name:XiaoGan ShenYuan ChemPharm co,ltd Gold
- Tel:15527768850 0712-2580635-
- Products Intro:CAS:478-43-3
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Rhein, 98%
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Products Intro:Product Name:4,5-Dihydroxyanthraquinone-2-carboxylic Acid
Purity:>95.0%(LC)(T) Package:200Mg;1g Remarks:D3986
- Company Name:future industrial shanghai co., ltd
- Products Intro:Product Name:Rhein
Purity:98% Package:664RMB/ 50mg