ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Alcohols,Phenols,Phenol alcohols > Acyclic alcohols > Triethylene glycol
Triethylene glycol Chemical Properties
- Melting point:−7 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:125-127 °C0.1 mm Hg(lit.)
- Density 1.124 g/mL at 20 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 5.2 (vs air)
- vapor pressure <0.01 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:165 °C
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility H2O: 50 mg/mL at 20 °C, clear, colorless
- form Viscous Liquid
- color Clear very slightly yellow
- OdorVery mild, sweet.
- PH5.5-7.0 (25℃, 50mg/mL in H2O)
- explosive limit0.9-9.2%(V)
- Water Solubility SOLUBLE
- λmaxλ: 260 nm Amax: 0.06
λ: 280 nm Amax: 0.03
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,9670
- BRN 969357
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference112-27-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceTriethylene glycol(112-27-6)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemTriethylene glycol (112-27-6)
Triethylene glycol Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesTriethylene glycol is a clear, colorless, viscous, stable liquid with a slightly sweetish odor. Soluble in water; immiscible with benzene, toluene, and gasoline. Combustible. Because it has two ether and two hydroxyl groups its chemical properties are closety related to ethers and primary alcohols. It is a good solvent for gums, resins, nitrocellulose, steam-set printing inks and wood stains. With a low vapor pressure and a high boiling point, its uses and properties are similar to those of ethylene glycol and diethylene glycol. Because it is an efficient hygroscopic agent it serves as a liquid desiccant for removing water from natural gas. It is also used in air conditioning systems designed to dehumidify air.
- Usestriethylene glycol is a solvent prepared from ethylene oxide and ethylene glycol.
- UsesIn various plastics to increase pliability; in air disinfection.
- DefinitionChEBI: A poly(ethylene glycol) that is octane-1,8-diol in which the carbon atoms at positions 3 and 6 have been replaced by oxygen atoms.
- Production MethodsTriethylene glycol, like diethylene glycol, is produced commercially as a by-product of ethylene glycol production. Its formation is favored by a high ethylene oxide to water ratio.
- General DescriptionColorless liquid with a mild odor. Dense than water.
- Reactivity Profile2,2'-(Ethylenedioxy)diethanol is a ether-alcohol derivative. The ether being relatively unreactive. Flammable and/or toxic gases are generated by the combination of alcohols with alkali metals, nitrides, and strong reducing agents. They react with oxoacids and carboxylic acids to form esters plus water. Oxidizing agents convert alcohols to aldehydes or ketones. Alcohols exhibit both weak acid and weak base behavior. They may initiate the polymerization of isocyanates and epoxides. Reacts with strong oxidants. [Handling Chemicals Safely 1980. p. 932].
- Health HazardVapor and liquid are unlikely to cause harm.
- Chemical ReactivityReactivity with Water No reaction; Reactivity with Common Materials: No reactions; Stability During Transport: Stable; Neutralizing Agents for Acids and Caustics: Not pertinent; Polymerization: Not pertinent; Inhibitor of Polymerization: Not pertinent.
- Safety ProfilePoison by intravenous route. Mildly toxic to humans by ingestion. Experimental reproductive effects. An eye and skin irritant. Many glycol ether compounds have dangerous human reproductive effects. Combustible when exposed to heat or flame. Can react with oxidizing materials. Explosive in the form of vapor when exposed to heat, flame, or spark. To fight fire, use alcohol foam, dry chemical. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. See also ESTERS and GLYCOL ETHERS.
- Purification MethodsDry the glycol with CaSO4 for 1 week, then it is repeatedly and very slowly fractionally distilled under a vacuum. Store it in a vacuum desiccator over P2O5. It is very hygroscopic. [Beilstein 1 IV 2400.]
Triethylene glycol Preparation Products And Raw materials
- D(+)-Raffinose pentahydrate MALTOTRIOSE Triethylene glycol dimethacrylate PENTAETHYLENE GLYCOL Triethylene glycol Cyclooctapentylose 3,6,9,12,15-pentaoxaheptadecane Tetra(ethylene glycol) diacrylate Dibenzo-24-crown-8 Rutin Tetraethylene glycol dimethyl ether Hesperidin methylchalcone Diosmin Bis[2-(2-hydroxyethoxy)ethyl] ether Amygdalin TRIETHYLENE GLYCOL MONOMETHYL ETHER Benzo-15-crown-5 Ethylene glycol diglycidyl ether
- Company Name:Tianmen Hengchang Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:15172518801 027-59322316-
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Tel:400-620-6333 021-20337333-801
- Company Name:Ningbo Hua Tuo Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:15267895909 0574-88237971
- Company Name:Wuhan jiyesheng Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:Hefei TNJ Chemical Industry Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Tel:15856988503 551-65418695-