ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Antipyretic analgesics > Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS) > Piroxicam
Piroxicam Chemical Properties
- Melting point:198-200°C
- Density 1.3664 (rough estimate)
- refractive index 1.6320 (estimate)
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility Practically insoluble in water, soluble in methylene chloride, slightly soluble in anhydrous ethanol. It shows polymorphism (5.9).
- form neat
- pka6.3 (2:1 dioxane-water)
- Water Solubility Soluble in water, ethanol, chloroform, ethyl acetate.
- Merck 14,7506
- CAS DataBase Reference36322-90-4(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferencePiroxicam(36322-90-4)
- EPA Substance Registry System2H-1,2-Benzothiazine-3-carboxamide, 4-hydroxy-2-methyl-N-2-pyridinyl-, 1,1-dioxide (36322-90-4)
Piroxicam Usage And Synthesis
- Used in Particular DiseasesAcute Gouty Arthritis:
Dosage and Frequency: 20 mg once daily or 10 mg twice daily
- Chemical PropertiesOff-White to Pale Yellow Solid
- UsesNon-steroidal anti-inflammatory with long half-life. Cyclooxygenase inhibitor. Clinically useful NSAID
- IndicationsPiroxicam (Feldene) is indicated for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. Piroxicam is a nonspecific COX inhibitor that has a much higher affinity for COX-1 than COX-2. This may account for the large proportion (over 30%) of patients receiving long-term therapy who have reported side effects.Adverse GI reactions have been the most frequently reported side effect, but edema, dizziness, headache, rash, and changes in hematological parameters have also occurred in 1 to 6% of patients. Piroxicam can cause serious GI bleeding, ulceration, and perforation, particularly in the elderly, if the recommended dosage is exceeded or if aspirin is being taken concurrently.
- DefinitionChEBI: A monocarboxylic acid amide resulting from the formal condensation of the carboxy group of 4-hydroxy-2-methyl-2H-1,2-benzothiazine-3-carboxylic acid 1,1-dioxide with the exocyclic nitrogen of 2-aminopyridine.
- brand nameFeldene (Pfizer).
- General DescriptionPiroxicam (Feldene) is the most widely used oxicam becauseof its once-daily dosing schedule. It is well absorbedafter oral administration and has a plasma half-life of 50hours, thus requiring a dose of only 20 to 30 mg oncedaily. It undergoes extensive hepatic metabolism, catalyzedby CYP2C9 to give 5-hydroxypiroxicam as its majormetabolite. Several piroxicam prodrugshave been synthesized via derivatization of the enol alcoholgroup (amipiroxicam, droxicam, and pivoxicam) to reducepiroxicam-induced GI irritation.
- Biological ActivityAnti-inflammatory; highly selective inhibitor of COX-1 (ratio of IC 50 values for COX-2/COX-1 ~ 600).
- Veterinary Drugs and TreatmentsIn dogs, piroxicam may be beneficial in reducing the pain and inflammation associated with degenerative joint disease, but there are safer alternatives available. Its primary use is in dogs as adjunctive treatment of bladder transitional cell carcinoma. It may also be of benefit in squamous cell carcinomas, mammary adenocarcinoma, and transmissible venereal tumor (TVT). There is some use of it in cats for its anti-tumor effects, but it must be used with extreme caution in this species.
Piroxicam Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Company Name:Hubei Bangsun Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:HuBei ShengBaoLai Biological Technology Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:Wuhan Xinru Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Wuhan Xingqi Biotechnology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Hubei ZhengXingyuan Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18707110115 027-87879183-