ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Specialty drugs > Dermatology drugs > Aluminium potassium sulfate dodecahydrate
Aluminium potassium sulfate dodecahydrate
Aluminium potassium sulfate dodecahydrate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:92 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:200°C
- Density 1.757 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- storage temp. Store at RT.
- solubility H2O: soluble0.5M, clear, colorless
- form Solid
- Specific Gravity1.757
- color White
- PH3.0-3.5 (25℃, 50mg/mL in H2O)
- PH Range3.3
- Water Solubility 140 G/L (20 ºC)
- Merck 14,360
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with steel, aluminium, copper, zinc, bases, strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference7784-24-9(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Referencepotassium aluminum sulfate dodecahydrate(7784-24-9)
Aluminium potassium sulfate dodecahydrate Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertieswhite to colourless crystals
- Chemical PropertiesAluminum is the most commonly available element in homes and workplaces. Aluminum is readily available for human ingestion through the use of food additives, antacids, buffered aspirin, astringents, nasal sprays, and antiperspirants; from drinking water; from automobile exhaust and tobacco smoke; and from using aluminum foil, aluminum cookware, cans, ceramics, and fi reworks. Workers who are at risk for toxicity are those in refi neries, foundries and also welders and grinders.
- Chemical PropertiesThe PhEur 6.0 describes potassium alum as a granular powder, or colorless, transparent, crystalline masses. The JP XV describes it as colorless or white crystals or powder. Potassium alum is odorless and has a slightly sweet, strongly astringent taste.
- Usespotassium alum (alum) is a cosmetic astringent.
- UsesAluminium potassium sulfate dodecahydrate is a white crystal that is soluble in water. It is made by roasting alunite in a furnace and then harvesting the product by crystallization. Aluminium potassium sulfate dodecahydrate was used to harden gelatin emulsions by introduction, by bathing the exposed plates prior to development, or by use in the fixing bath. Mixed with citric or other acids, it was also used as a clearing bath to remove developer stains in negatives.
- UsesBuffer; floccculating reagent.
- DefinitionChEBI: A hydrate resulting from the the formal combination of anhydrous potassium aluminium sulfate with 12 mol eq. of water.
- Production MethodsPotassium alum is manufactured by treating bauxite with sulfuric acid and then potassium sulfate. Alternatively, aluminum sulfate is reacted with potassium sulfate.
- DefinitionA group of double salts withthe formula A2SO4.B2(SO4)3.24H2O,where A is a monovalent metal and Ba trivalent metal. The original examplecontains potassium and aluminium(called potash alum orsimply alum); its formula is oftenwritten AlK(SO4)2.12H2O (aluminiumpotassium sulphate-12-water). Ammoniumalum is AlNH4(SO4)2.12H2O,chrome alum is KCr(SO4)2.12H2O, etc.The alums are isomorphous and canbe made by dissolving equivalentamounts of the two salts in waterand recrystallizing.
- Health HazardProlonged periods of exposure to aluminum and dust cause symptoms of toxicity that include, but are not limited to, coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, memory loss, learning diffi culty, loss of coordination, disorientation, mental confusion, colic, heartburn, fl atulence, and headaches. Chronic exposures to alumina dust cause irritation to the eyes,
- Pharmaceutical ApplicationsPotassium alum precipitates proteins and is a powerful astringent.
The ability to precipitate proteins is utilized in the manufacture of
vaccines, where purified proteins are coprecipitated with and
adsorbed onto potassium alum.
Potassium alum is often included in preparations used as mouthwashes or gargles and in dermatological preparations, and it may be used as a topical hemostatic, either as a solid or as a solution. Intravesical instillation of potassium alum, typically as a 1% solution, has been used for hemorrhagic cystitis.
- SafetyPotassium alum is often included in preparations used as
mouthwashes or gargles and in dermatological preparations.
Large doses of potassium alum act as an irritant and may be corrosive; gum necrosis and gastrointestinal hemorrhage have occurred. Acute encephalopathy has been reported following bladder irrigation with alum solutions in the treatment of bladder hemorrhage. Anecdotal evidence suggests that this practice should be avoided for patients with renal insufficiency.
- storageStore in a cool, dry place in tightly closed containers. Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. When kept for a long time at 60–65°C (or over sulfuric acid) potassium alum dodecahydrate loses water, which is reabsorbed on exposure to air. It becomes anhydrous at about 200°C.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise it from weak aqueous H2SO4 (ca 0.5mL/g). Its solubility (%) in H2O is 5.7 (0o), 12.0 (20o) and 136.9 (100o).
- IncompatibilitiesPotassium alum is incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, aluminum, copper, steel, and zinc. When it is dispensed in powders with phenol, salicylates, or tannic acid, gray or green colors may be developed owing to traces of iron in the alum.
- PrecautionsAminocarb decomposes on heating and produces toxic fumes, irritating fumes, and oxides of nitrogen. During handling of aminocarb workers should wear protective clothing, gloves, face shield, breathing protection and avoid open flames.
- Regulatory StatusGRAS listed. Included in the FDA Inactive Ingredients Database (vaginal; suppository). Included in medicines licensed in the UK.
Aluminium potassium sulfate dodecahydrate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation ProductsPectinChorionic gonadotrophinAluminium sulfate octadecahydrateAluminum octadecanoateALUMINUM POTASSIUM SULFATESTEVIACOBALT BLUEHydroxyaluminum distearatecoagulant TX-203Fermentation powderJELUTONG
- Raw materialsSulfuric acid Ammonium bicarbonateAluminium hydroxideAmmonium sulfateAluminium sulfatePotassium sulfate COBALT(III) OXIDE BLACKBAUXITEaluniteALUMINUM OXIDE
- Fermentation powder Activated carbon aluminium sulfate hexadecahydrate Aluminum ammonium sulfate dodecahydrate, Ammonium alum,ALUM,ALUM AMMONIUM,alum for jeweller production,AMMONIUM ALUM POWDER USP,ALUM AMMONIA ALUMINUM AMMONIUM SULFATE (AMMONIUM ALUM) ALUMINIUM HYDROXIDE POWDER(TO MAKE ALUM.SULFATE) ALUM.COL.1,8MX1/8",P/W 1-1872,FOR SENTEX SCENTOGRAPH PK100 ALUM. SEAL 6ML/10ML/20ML HEADSPAC& alum,n.f Potassium POTASSIUM CYANIDE Potassium Acetate Potassium sorbate Losartan potassium Aluminium potassium sulfate dodecahydrate Potassium chloride Potassium sulfate Potassium persulfate
Aluminium potassium sulfate dodecahydrateSupplierMore
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:future industrial shanghai co., ltd
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:BeiJing Hwrk Chemicals Limted
- Tel:18600197062 0757-86311057-