ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Analytical Chemistry > Standard > Cosmetics Standard > Methylisothiazolinone
Methylisothiazolinone Chemical Properties
- Melting point:254-256 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:bp0.03 93°
- Density 1.25 (14% aq.)
- vapor pressure <0.1 mm Hg ( 25 °C)
- form neat
- BRN 606203
- CAS DataBase Reference2682-20-4(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference3(2H)-isothiazolone, 2-methyl-(2682-20-4)
- EPA Substance Registry System2-Methyl-3(2H)-isothiazolone (2682-20-4)
Methylisothiazolinone Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionMethylisothiazolinone (also called 2-methyl-4-isothiazolin-3-one), is a powerful synthetic biocide and preservative within the group of isothiazolinones.
Methylisothiazolinone is used to control slime-forming bacteria, fungi, and algae in pulp/paper mills, cooling water systems, oil field operations, industrial process waters, and air washer systems. And it is incorporated into adhesives, coatings, fuels, metal working fluids, resin emulsions, paints, and various other specialty industrial products as a preservative. It is also used to control the growth of mold, mildew, and sapstain on wood products. It is generally recommended for use only in rinse-off and leave-on cosmetic products (maximum concentration of 100 ppm) as preservative such as shampoo, conditioner, hair color, body wash, lotion, sunscreen, mascara, shaving cream, baby lotion, baby shampoo, hairspray, makeup remover, liquid soaps, and detergents. Nevertheless, methylisothiazolinone is allergenic. It is reported that methylisothiazolinone in rinse-off products causes allergic contact dermatitis.
- UsesMethylisothiazolinone, or MIT as it is sometimes known, is a preservative used in cosmetics and beauty products. It is a powerful biocide, or “chemical substance capable of killing living organisms, usually in a selective way.”Biocides are a general term that includes antimicrobial, germicide, antibiotic, and antifungal. Ultimately, Methylisothiazolinone is used to prevent a wide variety of bacteria and fungi from growing in cosmetics and beauty products, most often in shampoo. It is only approved for use in rinse-off formulas and at low concentrations.
- SafetyMethylisothiazolinone (MIT) is a heterocyclic organic compound used as a preservative in cosmetics and personal care products in concentrations up to 0.01%. MIT is a colorless, clear liquid with a mild odor that is completely soluble in water; mostly soluble in acetonitrile, methanol, and hexane; and slightly soluble in xylene. Consistent with its solubility, dermal penetration is low. The Cosmetic Ingredient Review Expert Panel noted the in vitro evidence of neurotoxicity but concluded that the absence of any neurotoxicity findings in the many in vivo studies, including subchronic, chronic, and reproductive and developmental animal studies, suggests that MIT would not be neurotoxic as used in cosmetics. Although recognizing that MIT was a sensitizer in both animal and human studies, the panel concluded that there is a threshold dose response and that cosmetic products formulated to contain concentrations of MIT at 100 ppm (0.0 1%) or less would not be expected to pose a sensitization risk. Accordingly, MIT may be safely used as a preservative in cosmetics up to that concentration.
- References http://www.safecosmetics.org/get-the-facts/chemicals-of-concern/methylisothiazolinone/
 K. Yazar, M. D. Lundov, A. Faurschou, M. Matura, A. Boman, J. D. Johansen, C. Lidén (2015) Methylisothiazolinone in rinse-off products causes allergic contact dermatitis: a repeated open-application study, 173, 115-122
- DescriptionMI is contained in Kathon CG, MCI/MI and Euxyl K100. It can cause severe irritant dermatitis, as with Euxyl K100 incorporated in a cleansing cream used by an engine man.
- Chemical PropertiesYellow Low melting Solid
- Uses2-Methyl-4-isothiazolin-3-one is a isothiazolinone based biocide and preservative used in personal care products. 2-Methyl-4-isothiazolin-3-one is also used for controlling microbial growth in water-c ontaining solution.
- UsesA potent biocide useful for controlling microbial growth
- Usesmethylisothiazolinone is a preservative.
- DefinitionChEBI: A 1,2-thazole that is 4-isothiazolin-3-one bearing a methyl group on the nitrogen atom. It is a powerful biocide and preservative and is the minor active ingredient in the commercial product KathonTM.
- Contact allergensMI is generally associated with MCI, in Kathon? CG, MCI/MI, and Euxyl? K 100. This preservative is currently used in water-based products such as cosmetics, paints, and glues. Skin contact with concentrated solution can cause severe irritant dermatitis.
- Acetonitrile N-([4-CYANO-5-(METHYLSULFANYL)-3-OXO-2(3H)-ISOTHIAZOLYL]CARBONYL)-4-METHYLBENZENESULFONAMIDE decene 2-METHYL-4-ISOTHIAZOLIN-3-ONE HYDROCHLORIDE 2-methyl-4,5-trimethylene-4-isothiazolin-3-one IFLAB-BB F0915-4823 Isothiazolinones 4,5-Dichloro-2-octyl-isothiazolone Methylparaben Paraquat dichloride 2-Methylthiazole Methyl acrylate Methanol Kresoxim-methyl 5-Methyl-2-phenyl-1,2-dihydropyrazol-3-one 5-Chloro-2-methyl-3(2H)-isothiazolone with 2-methyl-3(2H)-isothiazolone 3-Methyl-2-butanone 1,2-Benzisothiazol-3(2H)-one
- Company Name:WUXI HONORSHINE CHEMICAL CO.,LTD. Gold
- Company Name:Tianjin Zhongxin Chemtech Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:TAIYUAN RHF CO.,LTD.
- Tel:+86 351 7031519
- Company Name:Pure Chemistry Scientific Inc.
- Tel:001-857-928-2050 or 1-888-588-9418