ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal halide and Halogen salt > Metal chlorides and salt > Manganese chloride
Manganese chloride Chemical Properties
- Melting point:652 °C (lit.)
- Boiling point:1190 °C
- Density 2.98 g/mL at 25 °C (lit.)
- Flash point:1190°C
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility H2O: soluble
- form flakes
- Specific Gravity2.98
- color Pink
- Water Solubility 723 g/L (25 ºC)
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,5728
- Stability:Stable, but moisture sensitive. Incompatible with strong acids, reactive metals, hydrogen peroxide.
- CAS DataBase Reference7773-01-5(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceManganese dichloride(7773-01-5)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemManganese chloride (MnCl2) (7773-01-5)
- Hazard Codes Xn
- Risk Statements 22-52-48/22-25
- Safety Statements 45-61-22-36
- RIDADR UN 3288 6.1/PG 3
- WGK Germany 1
- RTECS OO9625000
- TSCA Yes
- HazardClass 6.1
- HS Code 28273990
- Hazardous Substances Data7773-01-5(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 in mice, rats (mg/kg): 1330.0, 1470.0 orally; 126.0, 147.0 i.p.; 171.0, 92.6 i.v. (Singh, Junnarkar)
Manganese chloride Usage And Synthesis
- Physical PropertiesThe anhydrous chloride is a pink solid; cubic crystals; deliquescent; density 2.977 g/cm3 at 25°C; melts at 650°C; vaporizes at 1,190°C; very soluble in water (~72g/100 mL at 25°C); soluble in alcohol; insoluble in ether.
The tetrahydrate has a rose color; monoclinic crystal structure; deliquescent; density 2.01 g/cm3; melts at 58°C; loses one molecule of water at 106°C and all water at 198°C; highly soluble in water (151 g/100mL at 8°C) and extremely soluble in boiling water (656 g/100mL at 100°C); soluble in ethanol; insoluble in ether.
- UsesManganese(II) chloride is used in dyeing and printing textiles and as a disinfectant. It also is used in dry cell batteries; for the preparation of drying agents for paints and varnishes; as a catalyst in chlorination reactions; in the production of several manganese salts, including methylcyclopentadienylmanganese tricarbonyl used as a colorant for brick. In metallurgy, the compound is used as an alloying agent and is added to molten magnesium to produce magnesium-manganese alloys.
- PreparationManganese(II) chloride is prepared by heating manganese(II) oxide, manganese dioxide, manganese(II) carbonate or manganese(II) hydroxide with hydrochloric acid:
MnO2 + 4HCl → MnCl2 + 2H2O + Cl2
MnCO3 + HCl → MnCl2 + H2O + CO2
When the product mixture is evaporated below 58°C, the tetrahydrate salt, MnCl2•4H2O is obtained.
Manganese(II) chloride is a by-product in the manufacture of chlorine from manganese dioxide and hydrochloric acid (the Weldon process).
Anhydrous chloride can be prepared by heating manganese(II) oxide or manganese(II) carbonate with dry hydrogen chloride; or by burning the metal in chlorine at 700°C to 1,000°C.
The anhydrous salt can also be obtained by slowly heating the tetrahydrate, MnCl2•4H2O in a rotary drier above 200°C or by dehydration in a stream of hydrogen chloride gas.
- ReactionsManganese(II) chloride forms double salts with alkali metal chlorides when mixed in stoichiometric amounts. Such double salts, which can decompose in water, may have compositions like KMnCl3 or K2MnCl4.
Manganese(II) chloride forms adducts with ammonia, hydroxylamine and many other nitrogen compounds. Many adducts are stable at ordinary temperatures. Examples are MnCl2•6NH3 and MnCl2•2NH2OH.
An aqueous solution can readily undergo double decomposition reactions with soluble salts of other metals, producing precipitates of insoluble salts of Mn(II) or other metals.
- DescriptionManganese, an essential nutrient, occurs in many foods of plant and animal origin. The naturally occurring manganese levels vary from about 2 0 ppm in nuts, cereals, dried fruits and non-leafy vegetables to less than 1 ppm in animal products. Manganous chloride tetrahydrate is pink translucent crystals which are very soluble in water.1 .
- Chemical PropertiesMnCl2 is rose-colored deliquescent crystals that are very soluble in water,and melts at 650°C and boils at 1190°C. The tetrahedral form, MnCI2.4H20 , melts at 58°C and loses its water at 198°C and is used as a catalyst in paints,dyes,pharmaceuticals, and fertilizers, and for various other purposes.
- UsesA novel high-spin hexanuclear Mn(III) cluster, [NaMn6(OMe)12(dbm)6]+, was synthesized via MnCl2 oxidation with simultaneous NaOMe promoted aggregation. This cluster has an unprecedented cyclic structure and 24 unpaired electrons in its ground state.1 Also used in the formation of an active Mn(0) species useful for radical cyclization reactions.2
- UsesUsed mainly in the production of dry cell batteries
- UsesManganese chloride (MnCl2) is used in the pharmaceutical industry as a dietary supplement and is added to fertilizers.
- UsesManganese Chloride is a source of manganese that functions as a nutrient and dietary supplement. it exists as crystals which are readily soluble in room temperature (22°c) water and are very soluble in hot water. see manganese.
- Safety ProfilePoison by intraperitoneal, subcutaneous, intramuscular, intravenous, and parenteral routes. Moderately toxic by ingestion. Experimental teratogenic and reproductive effects. Questionable carcinogen with experimental carcinogenic data. Mutation data reported. Explosive reaction when heated with zinc foil. Reacts violently with potassium or sodium. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of Cl-. See also MANGANESE COMPOUNDS and CHLORIDES.
- Purification MethodsIt crystallises from water (0.3mL/g) on cooling. The red-rose tetrahydrate melts at ~52o and forms the dihydrate salt which loses all its H2O at 198o to give MnCl2. It is soluble in EtOH.
Manganese chloride Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Manganese sulfate Manganese dioxide 2-[[(2-ethylphenyl)(2-hydroxyethyl)amino]methyl]-3,3-difluoro-Propanenitrile Manganese chloride tetrahydrate Methylene Chloride Choline chloride Nickel chloride Tin tetrachloride ANHYDROUS FERRIC CHLORIDE Manganese Ammonium chloride Cobalt chloride Calcium chloride Ethanol MANGANESE ORE Manganese chloride Sodium chloride
- Company Name:Shanghai Mintchem Development Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:021 6845 0923
- Company Name:Shanghai Dingfen Chemical Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:02157450129 021-37590756-
- Company Name:Tianjin Zhongxin Chemtech Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801