ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Nervous system drugs > Cholinergic drugs > Scopolamine hydrobromide
Scopolamine hydrobromide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:195-199 °C (dry matter)(lit.)
- alpha D25 -24 to -26° (c = 5, calculated on anhydrous basis)
- storage temp. Store at RT
- solubility H2O: 50 mg/mL
- form powder
- color white to off-white
- CAS DataBase Reference114-49-8(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemScopolamine hydrobromide (114-49-8)
Scopolamine hydrobromide Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesOff-White Solid
- UsesAn acetylcholine antagonist. Used in treatment of motion sickness; antiemetic; antispasmodic; mydriatic; preanesthetic medicant
- DefinitionChEBI: A hydrobromide that is obtained by reaction of scopolamine with hydrogen bromide.
- brand nameIsopto Hyoscine (Alcon); Transderm-Scop (Ciba-Geigy).
- General DescriptionScopolamine hydrobromide(hyoscine hydrobromide) occurs as white orcolorless crystals or as a white, granular powder. It is odorlessand tends to effloresce in dry air. It is freely soluble inwater (1:1.5), soluble in alcohol (1:20), only slightly solublein chloroform, and insoluble in ether.
Scopolamine is a competitive blocking agent of theparasympathetic nervous system as is atropine, but it differsmarkedly from atropine in its action on the higher nervecenters. Both drugs readily cross the blood-brain barrierand, even at therapeutic doses, cause confusion, particularlyin the elderly.
- General DescriptionColorless crystals or white powder or solid. Has no odor. pH (of 5% solution): 4-5.5. Slightly efflorescent in dry air. Bitter, acrid taste.
- Air & Water ReactionsSensitive to air, light and moisture. Water soluble.
- Reactivity ProfileScopolamine hydrobromide is incompatible with acids, bases and oxidizing agents. .
- Fire HazardFlash point data for Scopolamine hydrobromide are not available; however, Scopolamine hydrobromide is probably combustible.
- Biological ActivityNon-selective muscarinic antagonist. Widely used clinically to treat motion sickness.
- Clinical UseA sufficiently large dose of scopolamine will cause an individualto sink into a restful, dreamless sleep for about8 hours, followed by a period of approximately the samelength in which the patient is in a semiconscious state.During this time, the patient does not remember events thattake place. When scopolamine is administered with morphine,this temporary amnesia is termed twilight sleep.
- Purification MethodsThe hydrobromide is recrystallised from Me2CO, H2O or EtOH/Et2O and dried. It is soluble in H2O (60%) and EtOH (5%) but insoluble in Et2O and slightly in CHCl3. The hydrochloride has m 300o (from Me2CO). The free base is a viscous liquid which forms a crystalline hydrate with m 59o and  D 20 -28o (c 2.7, H2O). It hydrolyses in dilute acid or base. [Meinwald J Chem Soc 712 1953, Fodor Tetrahedron 1 86 1957, Beilstein 6 III 4185.]
Scopolamine hydrobromide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- SCOPOLAMINE N-OXIDE HYDROBROMIDE DL-TROPIC ACID Scopine DL-(SCOPOLAMINE HYDROBROMIDE) Scopolamine Hyoscine N butyle Bromide BP SCOPOLAMINE HYDROBROMIDE N-HYDRATE HYOSCINE HYDROCHLORIDE Pyridine hydrobromide Scopolamine butylbromide Scopolamine Methobromide (-)-SCOPOLAMINE SCOPOLAMINE HYDROBORMIDE METHSCOPOLAMINE BROMIDE SCOPOLAMINE-D3 HBR 3H2O (N-METHYL-D3) Cimetropium bromide DEXTROMETHORPHAN HYDROBROMIDE HYOSCINE N BUTYL BROMIDE BP
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:future industrial shanghai co., ltd
- Company Name:Chembest Research Laboratories Limited
- Company Name:Shijiazhuang Sdyano Fine Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Tel:031166536426 0311-89250318-
- Company Name:JinYan Chemicals(ShangHai) Co.,Ltd.