LOCUST BEAN GUM
LOCUST BEAN GUM Chemical Properties
- FEMA 2648 | LOCUST GUM (CERATONIA SILIQUA L.)
- solubility Ceratonia is dispersible in hot water, forming a sol having a pH 5.4–7.0 that may be converted to a gel by the addition of small amounts of sodium borate. In cold water, ceratonia hydrates very slowly and incompletely. Ceratonia is practically insoluble in ethanol.
- EPA Substance Registry SystemCarob gum (9000-40-2)
- WGK Germany 2
- RTECS OJ8690000
- F 3
LOCUST BEAN GUM Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertiesbranched, nonionic polymer.
- Chemical PropertiesCeratonia occurs as a yellow-green or white colored powder. Although odorless and tasteless in the dry powder form, ceratonia acquires a leguminous taste when boiled in water.
- Chemical PropertiesCarob bean gum is a natural product obtained from the endosperm of milled seeds from the fruit pod of C. siliqua. Carob bean gum is obtained from the macerated endosperm of the seeds of the fruit pod of the carob tree. This endosperm, comprising 42 to 46% of the kernel, contains virtually all of the galactomannan present in the seed. Galactomannan is not found in the kibble. Carob bean gum is used as a food stabilizer and thickener, a flavor and/or flavor modifier, an emulsifier, a texturizer and a solvent/ carrier/encapsulating agent.
- Physical propertiesIt is a white to yellowish-white powder. It is dispersible in either hot or cold water, forming a solution having a pH between 5.4 and 7.0, which may be converted to gel by the addition of small amounts of sodium borate.
- UsesLocust Bean Gum is a gum that is a galactomannan obtained from the plant seed from the locust bean tree known as ceratonia siliqua. it has a mannose:galactose ratio of approximately 4:1. its properties include swelling partially in cold water but requiring heating to approximately 82°c for complete solubility. it provides high viscos- ity, forms gels with xanthan gum upon heating and cooling of the solution, and functions as a water binder. it can make agar or car- rageenan gels more elastic. its uses include processed cheese, ice cream, bakery products, soups, and pies. typical usage level is 0.1– 1.0%. it is also called carob gum or saint john’s bread, and is scien- tifically called carubin.
- Production MethodsCeratonia is a naturally occurring material obtained from the ground endosperms separated from the seeds of the locust bean tree, Ceratonia siliqua (Leguminosae). The tree is indigenous to southern Europe and the Mediterranean region.
- General DescriptionOff-white to yellow-green powder. Odorless and tasteless, but acquires a leguminous taste when boiled in water.
- Air & Water ReactionsInsoluble in water.
- Health HazardACUTE/CHRONIC HAZARDS: When heated to decomposition LOCUST BEAN GUM emits acrid smoke and fumes.
- Fire HazardFlash point data for LOCUST BEAN GUM are not available. However, LOCUST BEAN GUM is probably combustible.
- Pharmaceutical ApplicationsCeratonia is a naturally occurring material generally used as a
substitute for tragacanth or other similar gums. A ceratonia
mucilage that is slightly more viscous than tragacanth mucilage
may be prepared by boiling 1.0–1.5% of powdered ceratonia with
water. As a viscosity-increasing agent, ceratonia is said to be five
times as effective as starch and twice as effective as tragacanth.
Ceratonia has also been used as a tablet binder and is used in oral
controlled-release drug delivery systems approved in Europe and
Ceratonia is widely used as a binder, thickening agent, and stabilizing agent in the cosmetics and food industry. In foods, 0.15–0.75% is used. Therapeutically, ceratonia mucilage is used orally in adults and children to regulate intestinal function.
- Safety ProfileMildly toxic by ingestion. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
- SafetyCeratonia is generally regarded as an essentially noncarcinogenic,
nontoxic and nonirritant material. Therapeutically, it has been used
in oral formulations for the control of vomiting and diarrhea in
adults and children; 20–40 g daily in adults has been used dispersed
in liquid. As an excipient, ceratonia is used in oral controlledrelease
formulations approved in Europe and the USA.
Ceratonia is also widely used in food products. The WHO has not specified an acceptable total daily intake for ceratonia as the total daily intake arising from its use at the levels necessary to achieve the desired effect, and from its acceptable background in food, was not considered to represent a hazard to health. Ceratonia hypersensitivity has been reported, in a single case report, in an infant. However, ceratonia is said to be nonallergenic in children with known allergy to peanuts.
LD50 (hamster, oral): 10.0 g/kg
LD50 (mouse, oral): 13.0 g/kg
LD50 (rabbit, oral): 9.1 g/kg
LD50 (rat, oral): 13.0 g/kg
- storageThe bulk material should be stored in a well-closed container in a cool, dry place. Ceratonia loses not more than 15% of its weight on drying.
- IncompatibilitiesThe viscosity of xanthan gum solutions is increased in the presence of ceratonia. This interaction is used synergistically in controlledrelease drug delivery systems.
- Regulatory StatusGRAS listed. Accepted for use in Europe as a food additive. In Europe and the USA, ceratonia has been used in oral tablet formulations.
LOCUST BEAN GUM Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Refined Locust Bean Gum LOCUST BEAN HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE Ethyl isocyanoacetate Aluminum acetylacetonate N-BUTYLISOCYANIDE Cupric acetylacetonate DICHLORO(ETHYLENEDIAMINE)PLATINUM(II) 2,4-PENTANEDIONE, SILVER DERIVATIVE Tosylmethyl isocyanide Tris(2,4-pentanedionato)chroMiuM(III) COBALT(II) ACETYLACETONATE METHYL ISOCYANOACETATE TRIS(2,2,6,6-TETRAMETHYL-3,5-HEPTANEDIONATO)DYSPROSIUM(III) BENZYL ISOCYANIDE TERT-BUTYL ISOCYANIDE SALCOMINE TRIS(2,2,6,6-TETRAMETHYL-3,5-HEPTANEDIONATO)EUROPIUM(III) COBALT ETHYLENE DIAMINE CHLORIDE
LOCUST BEAN GUMSupplierMore
- Company Name:future industrial shanghai co., ltd
- Company Name:Adamas Reagent, Ltd.
- Company Name:Chengdu XiYa Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:Hunan Hui Bai Shi Biotechnology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:13308453923 0731-85529965-
- Company Name:Spectrum Chemical Manufacturing Corp.