ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical pesticides > Insecticides > Other pesticides > N,N-Diethyl-m-toluamide
Basic information Outline US Morflex one-step synthesis Insect repellent effects of various products Pregnant women should us N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide insect repellents with caution Chemical Properties Uses production method Safety Related Supplier
N,N-Diethyl-m-toluamide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-45 °C
- Boiling point:111 °C1 mm Hg
- Density 0.998 g/mL at 20 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 6.7 (vs air)
- vapor pressure <0.01 mm Hg ( 25 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:>230 °F
- storage temp. Refrigerator
- form Liquid
- color Clear
- Specific Gravity0.996
- Water Solubility NEGLIGIBLE
- Merck 14,2856
- BRN 2046711
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong acids, strong bases. Hydrolyzes slowly in water.
- CAS DataBase Reference134-62-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceDiethyltoluamide(134-62-3)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemN,N-Diethyl-m-toluamide (134-62-3)
- Hazard Codes Xn
- Risk Statements 22-36/38-52/53
- Safety Statements 61
- RIDADR 2810
- WGK Germany 2
- RTECS XS3675000
- TSCA Yes
- HazardClass 6.1(b)
- PackingGroup III
- HS Code 29242995
- Hazardous Substances Data134-62-3(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 orally in male rats (ml/kg): 2.43; in female rats: 1.78; dermally in rabbits: 3.18; LC50 by inhalation in rats (mg/l): 5.95 (U.S. EPA)
N,N-Diethyl-m-toluamide Usage And Synthesis
- OutlineN,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide, with the chemical name diethyl toluamide, is a broad-spectrum insect repellent, having repellent effect upon a variety of biting insects in various environments , can be used to drive thorn flies, midges, black flies, chiggers, deer flies, fleas, gnats, horse flies, mosquitoes, sand flies, gnats, flies and stable flat lice. N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide is a development by the US Department of Agriculture during the World War II and has the patent, the product is designated as a repellent products for the use in the US Army in 1946. In 1957 the United States Environmental Protection Agency started civil application as an insect repellent registration, initially as a pesticide on the farm, and later the United States Government applied for its use in times of war, especially war in Vietnam and Southeast Asia, the United States Environmental Protection Agency statistics, every year nearly 40 percent of Americans use N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide-containing insect repellent, there are about 200 million people worldwide usage for over 40 years by more than 20,000 units of the research studies prove that N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide is the most secure and effective broad-spectrum repellent. World Health Organization has recommended the use of repellent products containing N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide to protect against insect vectors. Often mixed with other pesticides, but when it is mixed with an amino acid salts, pesticides toxicity will increase.
- US Morflex one-step synthesisUS Morflex founded in 1927, located in Greensboro, United States, is the world's largest manufacturer of N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide . It owns 40 years of production and sales of N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide history, providing 60 percent of global consumption. Users include Johnson, Bayer and other famous enterprises, Morflex repellent cream formulation has cosmetic properties, non-irritating to human skin, more even applied than alcohol formula , more comfortable, no dry and tight and not greasy sense after the use of alcohol formula, specially formulated to lock N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide in sweat, friction, etc., can maintain long-lasting efficacy. Its production methods can be called "one step synthesis" , the advantage of "one step synthesis" is that it does not produce chemical synthesis additions-phosphoric acid, hydrochloric acid, amine hydrochloride or benzene. Phosphoric acid can cause greasy products, and other impurities are either irritating to the skin, or harmful to the human body. The multi-step synthesis methods currently used in the country can not avoid these harmful chemicals addenda.
The above information is edited by the Chemicalbook of Tian Ye.
- Insect repellent effects of various productsThe product containing chemical drug N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide owns best effects. Preferably, the time it can provide protection is proportional to the concentration of N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide products. For using products with N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide concentration at 23.8%, 20%, 6.6% and 4.8% , the protection times of the participants for the first time the average time being bitten are 302 minutes, 234 minutes, 112 minutes, 88 minutes, respectively .
The average time of plant protection products as follows: 2% soybean oil products for 95 minutes; citronella oil product containing different concentrations of 3 to 20 minutes; the average protection time containing eucalyptus oil repellent latest listing of 120 minute.
Many consumers believe that there is repellent function of the "Skin Bath Oil", provide protection only 10 minutes.
Products contains a chemical component (Merck insecticide product IR3535) , the average protection time is only 23 minutes.
- Pregnant women should us N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide insect repellents with cautionN,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide has potential risks to humans, especially pregnant women: after contacted with the skin, N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide-containing insect repellent products will penetrate into the blood, it is possible through the blood into the placenta, even umbilical cord, which may result in teratogenic. Pregnant women should avoid using N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide containing insect repellent products, pregnant women can choose to wear light-colored long-sleeved shirt and trousers, or using products containing natural ingredients repellent to prevent mosquito bites. If necessary, using insect repellent containing N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide products should also be with the lowest concentration and effective insect repellent components as possible.
- Chemical PropertiesPale yellow liquid. There are light citrus fragrance smell.
- Uses1. As major components for a variety of solid, liquid mosquito repellent series.
2. Insect repellent, having unique effects for mosquito controlling . Formulation: 70%, 95% liquid.
- production methodBy the Inter-toluene chloride and diethyl amine reaction. Industrial products containing 5%-15% isomer.
- Chemical PropertiesColorless to Amberlike Liquid
- HistoryFormulations registered for direct human application contain from 4% to 100% DEET. DEET was developed as a joint effort by the Department of Defense and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). After examining hundreds of compounds for their repellent capabilities in the 1940s, DEET was selected and patented by the U.S. Army in 1946.the USDA did not announce DEET’s discovery until 1954, and it was registered for public use in 1957. DEET is prepared from m-toluoyl chloride and diethylamine in benzene or ether.
- Usesinsect repellant
- UsesInsect repellent
- DefinitionChEBI: A monocarboxylic acid amide resulting from the formal condensation of the carboxy group of m-toluic acid with the nitrogen of diethylamine. It is the most widely used insect repellent worldwide.
- IndicationsDEET is an organic liquid that is an excellent mosquito repellent; stronger
preparations of DEET are also effective against stable flies, although little protection
is provided against ticks. Commercial preparations are available in aerosol,
cream, or lotion form and vary in concentration from 6% to 100%. Because
DEET is absorbed into the bloodstream, it should be applied sparingly. Lesser
concentrations of DEET should be used whenever possible, with additional applications
to the skin if needed. Reports of a toxic encephalopathy and brief
seizures have been documented in children after overzealous use. Less serious
neurologic side effects include confusion, irritability, and insomnia. Contact dermatitis
has been observed with preparations containing higher concentrations of
Use preparations with <20% DEET in children. Avoid mucous membranes, broken skin, and hands of children, because they are often in contact with the mouth. Spray clothing instead of skin whenever possible, but avoid contact with rayon, acetate, or spandex, because these materials may be damaged by DEET.
- General DescriptionClear colorless or faintly yellow slightly viscous liquid. Faint pleasant odor.
- Air & Water ReactionsN,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide is sensitive to prolonged exposure to moisture. Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileN,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide is incompatible with strong acids, strong bases and strong oxidizing agents. N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide hydrolyzes slowly in the presence of water. N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide has a solvent effect on most plastics, paints, and varnishes. N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide is also incompatible with rayon, acetate or dynel clothing.
- Fire HazardN,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide is combustible.
- Safety ProfilePoison by intravenous route. Moderately toxic by ingestion and skin contact. Human systemic effects: coma, convulsions, dermatitis, mydriasis @upillary ddation), nausea or vomiting, stiffness. An eye and skin irritant. Experimental reproductive effects by skin contact. Mutation data reported. Can cause central nervous system disturbances. A pesticide. DEET is the active ingredient in most commercial insect repellents. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of NOx
N,N-Diethyl-m-toluamide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- N,N-Diethyl-m-toluamide (2-Methoxyethyl)benzene Citric acid Diethyl malonate Ethylene glycol diethyl ether Ethyl 2-(Chlorosulfonyl)acetate Mefenpyr-diethyl N,N-Diethylformamide N,N-Dimethylbenzamide Diethyl oxalate 2-Butanone Benzamide m-Toluic acid Diethyl ether Celiprolol p-Aminobenzamide Ascoric Acid Hyaluronic acid
- Company Name:Qingdao Benzo New Material Co. LTD Gold
- Company Name:Wuhan Hezhong Bio-chemical Manufacture co ltd Gold
- Tel:18930710487 021-68580715-
- Company Name:Hefei TNJ Chemical Industry Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Tel:15856988503 551-65418695-
- Company Name:Wuhan penglei Biotechnology Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:Wuhan Permanent-Rich Technology Co.,LTD Gold