ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > Aromatic acids > m-Toluic acid
m-Toluic acid Chemical Properties
- Melting point:108 °C
- Boiling point:263 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.054 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- refractive index 1.509
- Flash point:150 °C
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility Soluble in alcohol and ether.
- pka4.27(at 25℃)
- form Crystalline Solid
- color Slightly yellow to beige-yellow
- PH3.4 (H2O, 20℃)(saturated solution)
- Water Solubility <0.1 g/100 mL at 19 ºC
- Merck 14,9535
- BRN 970526
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference99-04-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceBenzoic acid, 3-methyl-(99-04-7)
- EPA Substance Registry Systemm-Toluic acid (99-04-7)
m-Toluic acid Usage And Synthesis
- Descriptionm-toluic acid (MTA) , also known as 3-Methylbenzoic acid or m-Toluate, is a benzoic acid derivative having a floral honey odour. Benzoic acids are organic Compounds containing a benzene ring which bears at least one carboxyl group. Benzoic acid occurs naturally in many plants and its name was also derived from a plant source i.e. Gum benzoin. Although it is used as precursor to plasticizers, preservatives such as sodium benzoate, it also has wide application in many pharmaceutical preparations meant for treatment of fungal skin diseases, topical antiseptics, expectorants, analgesics and decongestants. The benzoic acid derivatives are also very useful due to their bacteriostatic and fragrant properties.
MTA is used as intermediate in various chemical reactions, MTA is used as a chemical intermediate in manufacturing of insect repellent and plastic stabilizer in the chemical industry. It is also used in the production of various chemicals like 3-carboxybenzaldehyde, 3-benzoylphenylacetic acid, 3-methylbenzophenone, and N,N-diethyl- 3-methylbenzamide etc.. It is a main component of N,N-diethylm-toluamide, commonly known as DEET, which is first insect repellent that can be applied to skin or clothing and provide protection against mosquitoes and other biting insects.
- Chemical PropertiesWhite to yellowish crystals. Ionization constant 5.3 × 10?5. Slightly soluble in water; soluble in alcohol and ether. Combustible.
- UsesOrganic synthesis, to form N,N-diethyl-mtoluamide, a broad-spectrum insect repellent.
- DefinitionChEBI: A methylbenzoic acid carrying a methyl substituent at position 3.
- General DescriptionWhite to yellowish crystals or mostly yellow flaky solid (with some white flakes). Has a floral-honey odor.
- Air & Water ReactionsFine dust dispensed in air in sufficient concentrations, and in the presence of an ignition source is a potential dust explosion hazard. . Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity Profilem-Toluic acid is a carboxylic acid. Carboxylic acids donate hydrogen ions if a base is present to accept them. They react in this way with all bases, both organic (for example, the amines) and inorganic. Their reactions with bases, called "neutralizations", are accompanied by the evolution of substantial amounts of heat. Neutralization between an acid and a base produces water plus a salt. Carboxylic acids with six or fewer carbon atoms are freely or moderately soluble in water; those with more than six carbons are slightly soluble in water. Soluble carboxylic acid dissociate to an extent in water to yield hydrogen ions. The pH of solutions of carboxylic acids is therefore less than 7.0. Many insoluble carboxylic acids react rapidly with aqueous solutions containing a chemical base and dissolve as the neutralization generates a soluble salt. Carboxylic acids in aqueous solution and liquid or molten carboxylic acids can react with active metals to form gaseous hydrogen and a metal salt. Such reactions occur in principle for solid carboxylic acids as well, but are slow if the solid acid remains dry. Even "insoluble" carboxylic acids may absorb enough water from the air and dissolve sufficiently in m-Toluic acid to corrode or dissolve iron, steel, and aluminum parts and containers. Carboxylic acids, like other acids, react with cyanide salts to generate gaseous hydrogen cyanide. The reaction is slower for dry, solid carboxylic acids. Insoluble carboxylic acids react with solutions of cyanides to cause the release of gaseous hydrogen cyanide. Flammable and/or toxic gases and heat are generated by the reaction of carboxylic acids with diazo compounds, dithiocarbamates, isocyanates, mercaptans, nitrides, and sulfides. Carboxylic acids, especially in aqueous solution, also react with sulfites, nitrites, thiosulfates (to give H2S and SO3), dithionites (SO2), to generate flammable and/or toxic gases and heat. Their reaction with carbonates and bicarbonates generates a harmless gas (carbon dioxide) but still heat. Like other organic compounds, carboxylic acids can be oxidized by strong oxidizing agents and reduced by strong reducing agents. These reactions generate heat. A wide variety of products is possible. Like other acids, carboxylic acids may initiate polymerization reactions; like other acids, they often catalyze (increase the rate of) chemical reactions. m-Toluic acid is incompatible with strong oxidizers.
- Fire HazardFlash point data for m-Toluic acid are not available; however, m-Toluic acid is probably combustible.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise the acid from water. [Beilstein 9 IV 1712.] Aromatic acid impurities (to <0.05%) can be removed via the (±)--methylbenzylamine salt as described for 2,4-dichlorobenzoic acid [Ley & Yates Organic Process Research & Development 12 120 2008]. The S-benzylisothiuronium salt has m 140o (from aqueous EtOH).
m-Toluic acid Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation Products3-Carboxybenzaldehyde3-(4-Methylpiperazin-1-ylmethyl)benzoic acidMethyl 3-(morpholinomethyl)benzoate ,98%METHYL 3-((PYRROLIDIN-1-YL)METHYL)BENZOATE3-(BROMOMETHYL)BENZOIC ACID3-BENZOYLPHENYLACETIC ACID3-MethylbenzophenoneN,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide
- Raw materialsm-Xylene1,3-Bisbenzyl-2-oxoimidazolidine-4,5-dicarboxylic acid
- Ascoric Acid 3-Methyl-2-nitrobenzoic acid 4-METHYLBENZOIC ACID METHYL ESTER 3-Methylanthranilic acid Folic acid Citric acid 3-Hydroxybenzoic acid 3-Methylanisole 3-Chloroperoxybenzoic acid Ethyl 2-(Chlorosulfonyl)acetate 4-METHYLBENZOIC ACID ZONE REFINED,4-METHYLBENZOIC ACID 3-Methoxybenzoic acid 4-NITRO-3-METHYLBENZOIC ACID 3-METHYLBENZOIC ACID METHYL ESTER 2-(Trifluoromethyl)benzoic acid Glycine 2-Methylbenzoic Acid/o-Toluic acid Phenylacetic acid
- Company Name:Mountainous Chemical Co.,Ltd Gold
- Tel:18352621837 0523-87306168
- Company Name:Anhui Royal Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:NANJING BANGNUO BIOTECHNOLOGY CO., LTD Gold
- Company Name:Creasyn Finechem(Tianjin) Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-