ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Biochemical Engineering > Chinese Herbs > 4-Hydroxy-3-methoxybenzyl alcohol
4-Hydroxy-3-methoxybenzyl alcohol Chemical Properties
- Melting point:110-117 °C (lit.)
- Boiling point:237.52°C (rough estimate)
- Density 1.1690 (rough estimate)
- refractive index 1.4620 (estimate)
- FEMA 3737 | VANILLYL ALCOHOL
- storage temp. Inert atmosphere,Room Temperature
- form Fine Crystalline Powder
- color Off-white to beige
- Water Solubility Soluble in 95% ethanol (5 %), water, and oils.
- JECFA Number886
- BRN 1910044
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong acids.
- CAS DataBase Reference498-00-0(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference4-Hydroxy-3-methoxybenzyl alcohol(498-00-0)
4-Hydroxy-3-methoxybenzyl alcohol Usage And Synthesis
- Description4-hydroxy-3-methoxybenzyl alcohol (also known as vanillyl alcohol) is often used as a deodorant component that is active in preventing the formation of body odor. It can also be used as a flavoring agent. Recent studies have also demonstrated that it has certain pharmacological effects. For example, it has been confirmed that it has certain neuro-protective effects through suppressing the oxidative stress and anti-apoptotic activity in toxin-induced dopaminergic MN9D cells, making it a potential candidate for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson’s disease.
- Chemical PropertiesVanillyl alcohol has a mild, sweet, balsamic, vanilla-like odor.
- Chemical Propertiescrystalline white to off-white powder
- UsesUsed as a flavoring agent. Other possible uses, vanilla, coconut, cream and other dairy nuances, coumarin.
- Taste threshold valuesSweet, creamy and milky with a slightly powdery mouthfeel.
- General DescriptionVanillyl alcohol belongs to the phenolic group of compounds which are widely used as oxidants in food products.
- Biochem/physiol ActionsOdor at 1.0%: sweet creamy, phenolic, vanilla and coconut-like with slight brown and coumarinic nuances.
- ReferencesBrune, I, et al. "Under the influence of the active deodorant ingredient 4-hydroxy-3-methoxybenzyl alcohol, the skin bacterium Corynebacterium jeikeium moderately responds with differential gene expression." Journal of Biotechnology 127.1(2006):21-33.
Hsu, Lun Chung, Z. H. Wen, and K. Y. Lee. "Use of vanillyl alcohol for the treatment of Parkinson's disease." (2009).
Kim, I. S., D. K. Choi, and H. J. Jung. "Neuroprotective effects of vanillyl alcohol in Gastrodia elata Blume through suppression of oxidative stress and anti-apoptotic activity in toxin-induced dopaminergic MN9D cells." Molecules 16.7(2011):5349.
4-ETHOXYCARBONYLOXY-3,5-DIMETHOXYBENZOIC ACID 2,3,4-Trimethoxybenzoic acid Gallic acid trimethyl ether 3-Hydroxy-4,5-dimethoxybenzoic acid 3,4-Diethoxybenzoic acid 3,4,5-Trimethoxybenzyl alcohol (+)-Bicuculline DL-4-HYDROXY-3-METHOXYMANDELIC ACID 3,4,5-TRIETHOXYBENZOIC ACID 4-BENZYLOXY-3-METHOXYBENZYL ALCOHOL 4-ETHOXY-3-METHOXYBENZYL ALCOHOL 2,3,4-TRIMETHOXYBENZYL ALCOHOL 2,4,5-Trimethoxybenzoic acid Reserpine 4-Hydroxy-3-methoxybenzyl alcohol 4-Methoxybenzylchloride Vanillyl butyl ether CHLOROPHOSPHONAZO III
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:+86-18621169078 +86-021-61259100
- Company Name:INTATRADE GmbH
- Tel:+49 3493/605464
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390