ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal halide and Halogen salt > Metal bromide and salt > Antimony tribromide
Antimony tribromide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:97 °C
- Boiling point:280 °C
- Density 4.15 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor pressure 1 mm Hg ( 94 °C)
- refractive index 1.74
- Flash point:280°C
- solubility Soluble in dilute hydrochloric acid, hydrobromic acid, carbon disulfide, alcohol, acetone, ammonia, benzene, chloroform.
- form Powder
- color White
- Specific Gravity4.15
- Water Solubility decomposed by H2O; soluble dilute HCl, HBr [HAW93] [MER06]
- Sensitive Moisture Sensitive
- Merck 14,706
- CAS DataBase Reference7789-61-9(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemAntimony tribromide (7789-61-9)
Antimony tribromide Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesYellow Crystalline Powder
- Chemical PropertiesAntimony tribromide is a nonflammable, colorless to yellow crystalline solid dissolved in hydrobromic acid.
- UsesAnalytical chemistry, mordant, manufacturing antimony salts.
- General DescriptionAntimony tribromide is the yellow crystalline solid dissolved in hydrobromic acid. Antimony tribromide is decomposed by water giving an antimony oxide and hydrobromic acid. Antimony tribromide is corrosive to metals and tissue. Antimony tribromide is used to make other antimony compounds, in chemical analysis, and in dyeing.
- Air & Water ReactionsWater slowly hydrolyzes antimony tribromide to form antimony (III) oxide and hydrobromic acid. The dry powdered oxide ignites on heating in air [Mellor Vol. 9 425.1939].
- Reactivity ProfileAcidic salts, such as ANTIMONY TRIBROMIDE, are generally soluble in water. The resulting solutions contain moderate concentrations of hydrogen ions and have pH's of less than 7.0. They react as acids to neutralize bases. These neutralizations generate heat, but less or far less than is generated by neutralization of inorganic acids, inorganic oxoacids, and carboxylic acid. They usually do not react as either oxidizing agents or reducing agents but such behavior is not impossible. Many of these compounds catalyze organic reactions.
- Health HazardTOXIC; inhalation, ingestion or contact (skin, eyes) with vapors, dusts or substance may cause severe injury, burns or death. Reaction with water or moist air will release toxic, corrosive or flammable gases. Reaction with water may generate much heat that will increase the concentration of fumes in the air. Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may be corrosive and/or toxic and cause pollution.
- Fire HazardNon-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes. Vapors may accumulate in confined areas (basement, tanks, hopper/tank cars etc.). Substance will react with water (some violently), releasing corrosive and/or toxic gases and runoff. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated or if contaminated with water.
- Safety ProfileA poison. Corrosive to skin, eyes, and mucous membranes. Reaction with water liberates HBr and antimony trioxide. Can cause severe burns. See also ANTIMONY COMPOUNDS.
- Potential ExposureAntimony tribromide is used to make antimony salts; in dyeing, and analytical chemistry.
- ShippingUN3141 Antimony compounds, inorganic, liquid, n.o.s, Hazard Class: 6.1; Labels: 6.1-Poisonous materials, Technical Name Required.
- IncompatibilitiesContact with water reacts, liberating antimony trioxide and hydrogen bromide. Dry trioxide material may explode if heated air. Heat forms toxic bromides. Antimony tribromide attacks various metals.
- Waste DisposalEncapsulate and bury at an approved chemical landfill. Unacceptable for disposal at sewage treatment plants. Consult with environmental regulatory agencies for guidance on acceptable disposal practices. Generators of waste containing this contaminant (≥100 kg/mo) must conform with EPA regulations governing storage, transportation, treatment, and waste disposal.
- Company Name:Shaanxi DIDU pharmaceutical and Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:17691182729 029-87576359-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009