ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > Cyanate ester / isocyanate > tert-Butylisocyanate
tert-Butylisocyanate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:85.5°C
- Boiling point:85-86 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.868 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:24 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- form Liquid
- color Clear colorless
- Sensitive Moisture Sensitive
- BRN 969479
- CAS DataBase Reference1609-86-5(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferencePropane, 2-isocyanato-2-methyl-(1609-86-5)
- EPA Substance Registry Systemtert-Butyl isocyanate (1609-86-5)
tert-Butylisocyanate Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesClear colorless liquid
- Chemical PropertiesA clear, colorless, flammable liquid. Pungent odor.
- General DescriptionA clear colorless liquid with a pungent odor. Flash point 68°F. Very toxic by ingestion, may also be toxic by skin absorption and inhalation. Vapors heavier than air. Less dense than water and insoluble in water. Vapors heavier than air. Produces toxic oxides of nitrogen during combustion.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. May react with water to produce a toxic vapor. Very slowly decomposed by water.
- Reactivity Profiletert-Butylisocyanate can react exothermically with amines, aldehydes, alcohols, alkali metals, ketones, mercaptans, strong oxidizing agents, hydrides, phenols, and peroxides. May undergo polymerization with acids and bases. May react with water to form tert-butylamine and carbon dioxide. Base-catalysed reactions of isocyanates with alcohols should be carried out in inert solvents. Such reactions in the absence of solvents often occur with explosive violence [Wischmeyer 1969].
- Health HazardTOXIC; inhalation, ingestion or contact (skin, eyes) with vapors, dusts or substance may cause severe injury, burns or death. Bromoacetates and chloroacetates are extremely irritating/lachrymators. Reaction with water or moist air will release toxic, corrosive or flammable gases. Reaction with water may generate much heat that will increase the concentration of fumes in the air. Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may be corrosive and/or toxic and cause pollution.
- Fire HazardHIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames. Vapors form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors and sewers explosion hazards. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Substance will react with water (some violently) releasing flammable, toxic or corrosive gases and runoff. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated or if contaminated with water.
- Potential Exposuretert-Butyl isocyanate is used as a reagent in organic synthesis; used as intermediates in production of pharmaceuticals and other chemicals
- ShippingUN2484 tert-Butyl isocyanate, Hazard class: 6.1; Labels: 6.1—Poison Inhalation Hazard, 3—Flammable liquid. Inhalation Hazard Zone A. PGI
- Purification MethodsIt is LACHRYMATORY and TOXIC, and should have IR with 2251 (CN) cm-1 and no OH bands. The NMR should have one band at 1.37 ppm from TMS. Purify it by fractional distillation under reduced pressure. [Greene & Bergmark J Org Chem 36 3056 1971, Curtius J Prakt Chem 125 152 1930, Beilstein 4 IV 669.]
- IncompatibilitiesHighly flammable liquid and vapor; forms explosive mixture with air. Isocyanates are highly flammable and reactive with many compounds, even with themselves. Incompatible with oxidizers (chlorates, nitrates, peroxides, permanganates, perchlorates, chlorine, bromine, fluorine, etc.); contact may cause fires or explosions. Reaction with moist air, water or alcohols may form amines and insoluble polyureas and react exothermically, releasing toxic, corrosive or flammable gases, including carbon dioxide; and, at the same time, may generate a violent release of heat increasing the concentration of fumes in the air. Incompatible with amines, aldehydes, alkali metals, ammonia, carboxylic acids, caprolactum, alkaline materials, glycols, ketones, mercaptans, hydrides, organotin catalysts, phenols, strong acids, strong bases, strong reducing agents such as hydrides, urethanes, ureas. Elevated temperatures or contact with acids, bases, tertiary amines, and acyl-chlorides may cause explosive polymerization. Attacks some plastics, rubber and coatings. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. May accumulate static electrical charges, and may cause ignition of its vapors
- Waste DisposalDispose of contents and container to an approved waste disposal plant. Use a licensed professional waste disposal service to dispose of this material. Caution: this chemical is highly flammable with a very low flash point (23.5C). Dissolve or mix the material with a combustible solvent and burn in a chemical incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber. All federal, state, and local environmental regulations must be observed.
tert-Butylisocyanate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- CBI-BB ZERO/008510 1,3-BIS(2-ISOCYANATO-2-PROPYL)BENZENE 3-ISOCYANATO-3-METHYL-TETRAHYDRO-THIOPHENE 1,1-DIOXIDE 1-ADAMANTYL ISOCYANATE 4-Thien-2-yltetrahydro-2H-pyran-4-yl isocyanate 2-ISOCYANATO-2-METHYL-PROPIONIC ACID METHYL ESTER DI-T-BUTYL 4-[2-(T-BUTOXYCARBONYL)ETHYL]-4-ISOCYANATO-1, 7-HEPTANEDICARBOXYLATE 3-ISOPROPENYL-ALPHA,ALPHA-DIMETHYLBENZYL ISOCYANATE 1,4-bis(1-isocyanato-1-methylethyl)benzene TERT-OCTYL ISOCYANATE tert-Butylisocyanate Chlorosulfonyl isocyanate Phenyl isocyanate 4-Chlorophenyl isocyanate tert-Butanol 1,3-Bis(isocyanatomethyl)benzene ISOCYANIC ACID Butyl isocyanate
- Company Name:Shanghai Qianlai Medical Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:上海炎泽化工有限公司 Shanghai Yanze Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Qi-Chem Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13601035838 0411-88165951-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar