ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Cyanide, hydroxide and hydrogen complexes > Potassium cyanate
Potassium cyanate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:315 °C
- Density 2.056 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility 750g/l
- form Crystalline Powder and Chunks
- color White
- Specific Gravity2.056
- PH10 (50g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- Water Solubility 750 g/L (20 ºC)
- Merck 14,7625
- Boiling point:700-900°C (1000 hPa) Not applicable,(decomposition)
- BRN 3594798
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with acids.
- CAS DataBase Reference590-28-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemPotassium cyanate (590-28-3)
Potassium cyanate Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesPotassium cyanate, KOCN,is colorless,water soluble crystals. Used as an herbicide and for the manufacture of drugs and organic chemicals,
- Chemical PropertiesPotassium cyanate, KCNO, white solid, soluble, formed along with lead metal by reaction of potassium cyanide and lead monoxide solids upon heating. Source of cyanate.
- UsesPotassium cyanate is used as chemical intermediate and as a weed killer. It is also used for the heat treatment of metals.
- UsesHerbicide, manufacture of organic chemicals and drugs, treatment of sickle-cell anemia.
- Safety ProfilePoison by intraperitoneal route. Moderately toxic by ingestion. Causes irritation of the gastrointestinal tract. An herbicide. It is said to be slowly metabolized in the body to cyanide but does not have high toxicity of cyanides. When heated to decomposition it emits very toxic fumes of CNand K2O.
- Purification MethodsCommon impurities include ammonia and bicarbonate ion (from hydrolysis). Purify it by preparing a saturated aqueous solution at 50o, neutralising with acetic acid, filtering, adding two volumes of EtOH and keeping for 3-4hours in an ice bath. (More EtOH can lead to co-precipitation of KHCO3.) Filter, wash it with EtOH and dry it rapidly in a vacuum desiccator (P2O5). The process is repeated [Vanderzee & Meyers J Chem Soc 65 153 1961].
Potassium cyanate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Cyanide, Quant Test Strips HYDROGEN CYANIDE 13,14-Didehydromatridin-15-one Potassium thiosulfate POTASSIUM CYANATE SOLUTION 100UG/ML IN H2O 1ML POTASSIUM CYANATE [367.1.7] cyanic acid POTASSIUM CYANATE, [14C] Potassium methoxide Potassium cyanate Potassium persulfate Potassium chloride Potassium iodide POTASSIUM SELENOCYANATE Potassium sorbate Potassium thiocyanate Potassium Citrate POTASSIUM CYANIDE
- Company Name:Shanghai Dingfen Chemical Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:02157450129 021-57450129-
- Company Name:Weifang Qianyuan Biotechnology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar