ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Catalyst and Auxiliary > UV absorbers > 2,2',4,4'-Tetrahydroxybenzophenone
2,2',4,4'-Tetrahydroxybenzophenone Chemical Properties
- Melting point:198-200 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:349.21°C (rough estimate)
- Density 1.216
- refractive index 1.4825 (estimate)
- color Needles from H2O
- Water Solubility Slightly soluble in water.
- BRN 1914746
- CAS DataBase Reference131-55-5(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference2,2',4,4'-Tetrahydroxybenzophenone(131-55-5)
- EPA Substance Registry System2,2',4,4'-Tetrahydroxybenzophenone (131-55-5)
2,2',4,4'-Tetrahydroxybenzophenone Usage And Synthesis
- Application2,2',4,4'-Tetrahydroxybenzophenone (BZP-2) is water-soluble and light-yellow powder (figure 1). BZP-2 is widely used in perfumes to prevent their degradation due to light. BZP-2 is a UV-absorber that helps protect against product degradation because of UV-light exposure and it is widely used in sunscreens and in cosmetics (figure 2), such as: anti-aging” creams and hair sprays and shampoos, paints and plastics. It can also mask odor associated with a formulation’s composition. In addition, the hypolipemiant drug fenofibrate is also a substituted benzophenone.
- Potential Exposure & RiskAlthough 2,2',4,4'-Tetrahydroxybenzophenone is used as a UV-blocker in cosmetics, plastics and automotive car products, its safety issue still should be noted. Such as workers that use BZP-2 may breathe in dust or have direct skin contact and the general population may be exposed by dermal contact with products containing this compound.
Skin allergic reaction has been reported in some people using sunscreens or cosmetics containing this compound. 2,2',4,4'-Tetrahydroxybenzophenone(BZP-2) is a member of a group of chemicals known as endocrine disruptors, which may alter the function and/or development of the reproductive system. Limited evidence indicates that exposure to benzophenone UV-absorbing chemicals, including BZP-2, is associated with an altered ratio of males to females at birth (increased females).
- Chemical Propertiesyellow to brown crystalline powder
- Uses2,2',4,4'-Tetrahydroxybenzophenone is a uV-absorber that helps protect against product degradation because of uV-light exposure. It can also mask odor associated with a formulation’s composition.
- PreparationObtained (small amount) by melting a fluorescin chloride/sodium hydroxide mixture in the presence of a very few water at 230–240° for 2–3 h.
- Contact allergensBZP-2 is widely used in perfumes to prevent their degradation due to light. It can cause allergic contact dermatitis.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by ingestion. Aneye irritant. Mutation data reported. When heated todecomposition it emits toxic fumes of NOx.
- 2,2'-Dihydroxy-4,4'-dimethoxybenzophenone isomangiferin MACLURAXANTHONE averantin Disodium 2,2'-dihydroxy-4,4'-dimethoxy-5,5'-disulfobenzophenone 2,2',4,4'-TETRAMETHOXYBENZOPHENONE 5,6-dimethoxysterigmatocystin Mangiferin Mangostin Beta-mangostin VERSICOLORINB 3,4-Dihydroxybenzophenone 2,4-Dihydroxybenzophenone Benzophenone Benzophenone imine 4-Hydroxybenzophenone 4,4'-Dihydroxybenzophenone 2,2',4,4'-Tetrahydroxybenzophenone
- Company Name:Changzhou Sunchem Pharmaceutical Chemical Material Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:Henan Huawen Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:13333709240 0370-2785118-
- Company Name:Tianjin Zhongxin Chemtech Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:Wuhan EnTai Technology Development Co,.Ltd
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-