ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Nervous system drugs > Antiparkinson Drugs > Bromocriptine mesylate
Bromocriptine mesylate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:192-196° (dec)
- alpha D20 +95° (c = 1 in methanol-methylene chloride)
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility H2O: 0.8 mg/mL
- form solid
- pka4.90(at 25℃)
- color white
- optical activity[α]20/D +95°, c = 1 in methanol: methylene chloride (1:1)(lit.)
- Merck 13,1400
- BRN 4115238
- CAS DataBase Reference22260-51-1(CAS DataBase Reference)
Bromocriptine mesylate Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionBromocriptine is a dopamine receptor agonist (Kis = 1,659, 12.2, 12.2, 59.7, and 1,691 nM for dopamine D1, D2, D3, D4, and D5 receptors, respectively).1 It also binds to the serotonin (5-HT) receptor subtypes 5-HT1A and 5-HT1D (Kis = 12.9 and 10.7 nM, respectively), as well as α1-adrenergic receptors (Kis = 1.12-4.17 nM).1,2 Bromocriptine (5 mg/kg) restores locomotor activity, without inducing dyskinesia, in a macaque model of Parkinson’s disease induced by MPTP.3 Formulations containing bromocriptine have been used in the treatment of Parkinson''s disease, hyperprolactinemia-associated dysfunctions, and acromegaly.
- Chemical PropertiesSolid
- Uses2-Bromo-α-ergocryptine methanesulfonate salt has been used:
- as D2 agonist in bird zebra finches
- for Prl secretion inhibitor in mice
- for the inhibition of motility in planaria worm
- Uses2-Bromo-α-Ergocryptine is a dopamine receptor agonist. 2-Bromo-α-Ergocryptine is a derivative of the ergotoxin group of ergot alkaloids. 2-Bromo-α-Ergocryptine is a prolactin inhibitor; antiparkinsoni an.
- UsesDopamine receptor agonist; derivative of the ergotoxin group of ergot alkaloids. Prolactin inhibitor; antiparkinsonian.
- Manufacturing ProcessA solution of 3.4 grams of N-bromosuccinimide in 60 cc of absolute dioxane is
added drop wise in the dark, during the course of 5 minutes, to a stirred
solution, heated to 60°C, of 9.2 grams of ergocryptine in 180 cc of absolute
dioxane. The reaction mixture is stirred at this temperature for 70 minutes
and is concentrated to a syrup-like consistency in a rotary evaporator at a
bath temperature of 50°C. The reaction mixture is subsequently diluted with
300 cc of methylene chloride, is covered with a layer of about 200 cc of a 2 N
sodium carbonate solution in a separating funnel and is shaken thoroughly.
The aqueous phase is extracted thrice with 100 cc amounts of methylene
chloride. The combined organic phases are washed once with 50 cc of water,
are dried over sodium sulfate and the solvent is removed under a vacuum.
The resulting brown foam is chromatographed on a 50-fold quantity of aluminum oxide of activity II-III with 0.2% ethanol in methylene chloride as eluant, whereby the compound indicated in the heading is eluted immediately after a secondary fraction which migrates somewhat more rapidly than the fractions containing the heading compound. The last fractions to leave the aluminum oxide contain varying amounts of starting material together with the heading compound, and may be subjected directly, as mixed fractions, to an afterbromination in accordance with the method described above. The fractions containing the pure heading compound are combined and crystallized from methyl ethyl ketonehopropy1 ether. Melting point 215°-218°C (decomp.), [α]D 20-195° (c = 1 in methylene chloride).
- brand nameParlodel (Novartis).
- Therapeutic FunctionProlactin inhibitor
- General DescriptionBromocriptine mesylate,(6aR,9R)-5-bromo-N-((2R,5S,10aS,10bS)-10b-hydroxy-5-isobutyl-2-isopropyl-3,6-dioxooctahydro-2H-oxazolo[3,2-a]pyrrolo[2,1c]pyrazin-2-yl)-7-methyl-4,6,6a,7,8,9-hexahydroindolo[4,3-fg]quinoline-9-carboxamide methanesulfonate(Parlodel), is a white solid soluble in ethanol and slightly solublein water (pKa’s＝6.6 and 15). Bromocriptine is rapidlyabsorbed after oral administration and it has low systemicbioavailability because of its extensive first-pass metabolism.Bromocriptine enters the brain quickly with a half-lifefor uptake into the brain of approximately 0.3 hours; 8% ofthe drug crosses the BBB.The metabolites are excreted primarilyin the bile and feces. The high first-pass hepatic metabolismimplies an increased risk of drug interactions.Concomitant administration with the DA antagonists, metoclopramide,or domperidone may aggravate parkinsoniansymptoms and induce extrapyramidal side effects (EPS).Other drugs that may interact with bromocriptine are highlyplasma protein–bound drugs (e.g., warfarin, increased dyskinesiacaused by bromocriptine); macrolides antibacterials(enhanced dopaminergic effects); and caffeine (elevation inplasma bromocriptine concentrations). The combination oflevodopa/AADC inhibitors with bromocriptine permits a reductionof the dose of levodopa. Thus, the side effects oflevodopa are decreased, resulting in a more continuous stimulationof DA receptors.
- Biological ActivitySelective D 2 -like dopamine receptor agonist (K i values are ~ 8, ~ 5, ~ 290, ~ 440 and ~ 450 nM for D 2 , D 3 , D 4 , D 1 and D 5 receptors respectively).
- Biochem/physiol ActionsBromocriptine is an ergot alkaloid and a dopamine D2 receptor agonist. It is prescribed for Parkinson′s disorder, hyperprolactinemia and galactorrhoea. It modulates β cells of the pancreas from insulin hypersecretion and improves the metabolic profile in type 2 diabetes patients with obesity. It also modulates glutamate release by glutamate transporter,GLT-1.
- Veterinary Drugs and TreatmentsBromocriptine may potentially be of benefit in treating acromegaly/ pituitary adenomas or pseudopregnancy in a variety of species. However, because of adverse effects, its potential value for treating hyperadrenocorticism in dogs is low. It has been used in dogs for pregnancy termination and pseudopregnancy.
ALPHA-ERGOCRYPTINE BroMocriptine IMpurity E Bromocriptine Impurity 2 (8S)-2-BroMo α-Ergocryptine 5'alpha(S)-sec-butyl-12'-hydroxy-2'-isopropylergotaman-3',6',18-trione Bromocriptine Impurity A (Mixture of Diastereomers) Ergoline-8-carboxylic acid, 2-bromo-9,10-didehydro-6-methyl-, (8β)- BroMocriptine IMpurity F BroMocriptine-13C-d3 BroMocriptine IMpurity G Ergotaman-3',6',18-trione, 2-bromo-12'-hydroxy-2'-(1-methylethyl)-5'-(2-methylpropyl)-, (2'β,5'α,8α)- (9CI) Bromocriptine 2-Ethylpiperazine (1-BUTYL-2-PYRROLIDINYL)-N-METHYLMETHANAMINE N,N'-DIACETYLETHYLENEDIAMINE (R)-2-ETHYL-PIPERAZINE (S)-1,4-DIAZABICYCLO[4.3.0]NONANE N,N-DI-N-BUTYLACETAMIDE
- Company Name:Nanjing Sunlida Biological Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel: 025-57798810-
- Company Name:Hefei Hirisun Pharmatech Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:15056975894 0551-62678551
- Company Name:Wellman Pharmaceutical Group Limited Gold
- Tel:15807197853 027-83778875
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Chemvon Biotechnology Co., Ltd