ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > Fatty alcohols > 1,6-Hexanediol
1,6-Hexanediol Chemical Properties
- Melting point:38-42 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:250 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.96
- vapor pressure 0.53 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- refractive index 1.457
- Flash point:215 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility H2O: 0.1 g/mL, clear, colorless
- form Waxy Flakes
- color White
- PH7.6 (900g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- explosive limit6.6-16%(V)
- Water Solubility 500 g/L
- λmaxλ: 260 nm Amax: 0.1
λ: 280 nm Amax: 0.1
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,4690
- BRN 1633461
- CAS DataBase Reference629-11-8(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference1,6-Hexanediol(629-11-8)
- EPA Substance Registry System1,6-Hexanediol (629-11-8)
1,6-Hexanediol Usage And Synthesis
- Description1,6-Hexanediol is a waxy hygroscopic solid compound that is white in colour. The compound is a linear diol that contains two primary hydroxyl groups that are located at the terminal. 1,6-Hexanediol’s linear hydrocarbon chain enables the compound to have enhanced hardness and flexibility of polyesters. Moreover, this property is utilized in the extending chains in polyurethanes.
- Preparation1,6-Hexanediol is produced by a propriety process that is based on BASF technology. Industrially, it is prepared by the hydrogenation of adipic acid. Conversely, in the laboratory, 1,6-Hexanediol can be synthesized by the reduction of adipic acid with lithium aluminum hydride.
- Uses and ApplicationsPolyurethanes
1,6-Hexanediol is widely utilized in the manufacture of polyesterols such as sebacates, azelates, and adipates. These compounds are resistant to hydrolysis and have low glass transition temperature as well as high mechanical levels. 1,6-hexanediol is used as an ingredient in the preparation of a wide range of tailor-made products for numerous specialty and standard applications.
1,6-hexanediol is utilized as an ingredient in the manufacture of the bifunctional hexanediol diacrylate which is a monomer that is normally used in conjunction with other acrylic monomers as a reactive diluent for decorative coatings and printing inks.
Urethanes and co-terephthalates that are based on 1,6-hexanediol provide faster better tack properties and crystallization. Due to its low glass transition property, 1,6-hexanediol offers high flexibility as well as excellent adhesive properties.
1,6-hexanediol is incorporated into the production of other compounds used in polymeric thickeners, sizing agents, plasticizers for polyvinyl chloride, pesticides, and surfactants dyestuffs as a flexible building block.
- Safety1,6-hexanediol is a no-irritating to the skin. However, it can be irritative to the respiratory tract and mucous membrane. 1,6-hexanediol vapours or dust cause irritation to the eye. Severe eye exposure may cause conjunctivitis, iritis, and diffuse corneal opacity.
- Chemical Propertieswhite waxy flakes
- UsesSolvent, intermediate for high polymers (nylon, polyesters), coupling agent, coil coating.
- DefinitionChEBI: A diol that is hexane substituted by hydroxy groups at positions 1 and 6.
- HazardToxic by ingestion.
- Purification MethodsFractionally crystallise it from its melt or from water. Distil it in vacuo. [Beilstein 1 IV 2556.]
1,6-Hexanediol Preparation Products And Raw materials
- 1,2,3,4-Butanetetracarboxylic acid 1,2,3,4-CYCLOPENTANETETRACARBOXYLIC ACID 1,6-Hexanediol Butyldiglycol Dipropylene glycol Ethylene glycol diacetate 1,2-HEXANEDIOL POLY(1 6-HEXAMETHYLENE ADIPATE) AVERAG& Diethylene glycol Hexamethylene diacrylate 1-Naphthyl isocyanate 1,4-Butanediol Ethylene glycol 2-Butoxyethanol Hexylene Glycol 2,5-Hexanediol TRANS-1,2-CYCLOHEXANEDIOL C8E3
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Tel:400-620-6333 021-20337333-801
- Company Name:Shandong Kaimike Environmental Protection Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Shanghai Youde Chemical Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:15821801668 021-37910267
- Company Name:Tianjin Zhongxin Chemtech Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-