ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > Fatty alcohols > Hexylene Glycol
Hexylene Glycol Chemical Properties
- Melting point:−40 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:197 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.925 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 4.1 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 0.02 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:201 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility H2O: 1 M at 20 °C, clear, colorless
- form Slightly Viscous Liquid
- color Clear
- PH6-8 (25℃, 1M in H2O)
- explosive limit1-9.9%(V)
- Water Solubility soluble
- λmaxλ: 260 nm Amax: 0.01
λ: 280 nm Amax: 0.01
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,4710
- BRN 1098298
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong acids, strong reducing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference107-41-5(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference2,4-Pentanediol, 2-methyl-(107-41-5)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemHexylene glycol (107-41-5)
Hexylene Glycol Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesHexylene Glycol is an oily colorless liquid with a mild sweet odor. It is an oxygenated solvent derived from acetone which has two alcohol functions. It has a low evaporation rate and it is completely miscible with water.
- Hexylene Glycol is used as a reagent in the synthesis of functionalized boronic esters. it is used in laboratory studies as a precipitant and cryoprotectant in protein crystallography.
- Also used in the preparation of vinylboronates.
- It is mainly used as a coupling agent and an additive to hydraulic fluids, inks and cement. Further, it is used as a solvent for cleaning and colorant products.
- It is a potential substitute for glycol ethers.
- It is an effective shrinkage reduction admixture or SRA for concrete and mortar.
- It can also be used as a building block in chemical synthesis.
- Hexylene glycol is a key solvent in many markets such as paints & coatings, metal working fluids, detergency, cosmetics & fragrances, textiles & leather.It is used to control the flow properties of industrial products such as paints, coatings, cleansers, solvents, and hydraulic fluids. It acts as a thickening agent in cosmetic products.
- It is also employed as a blood volume expander.
- Useshexylene glycol could be considered a solubilizer.
- UsesFuel and lubricant additive; solvent in cosmetics; solvent in petroleum refining; coupling agent in hydraulic brake fluid and printing inks; gasoline anti-icer additive
- Production Methods2-Methyl-2,4-pentanediol is prepared commercially by the catalytic hydrogenation of diacetone alcohol . It is used as a chemical intermediate, a selective solvent in petroleum refining, a component of hydraulic fluids, a solvent for inks, and as an additive for cement . Industrial exposure is likely to be from direct contact or from inhalation, particularly if the material is heated.
- DefinitionChEBI: A glycol in which the two hydroxy groups are at positions 2 and 4 of 2-methylpentane (isopentane).
- General DescriptionOily colorless liquid with a mild sweet odor. Floats and mixes slowly with water.
- Air & Water ReactionsHygroscopic. Water soluble [Hawley]
- Reactivity Profile2-Methyl-2,4-pentanediol is incompatible with the following: Strong oxidizers, strong acids [Note: Hygroscopic (i.e., absorbs moisture from the air).] .
- HazardToxic by ingestion and inhalation; irritant to skin, eyes, and mucous membranes. Combustible.
- Health HazardIrritation of eyes, nose and throat; headache, dizziness, and nausea.
- Chemical ReactivityReactivity with Water No reaction; Reactivity with Common Materials: Can catch fire when in contact with porous materials such as wood, asbestos, cloth, soil, or rusty metals; Stability During Transport: Stable at ordinary temperatures, however when heated this material can decompose to nitrogen and ammonia gases. The decomposition is not generally hazardous unless it occurs in confined spaces; Neutralizing Agents for Acids and Caustics: Flush with water and neutralize the resulting solution with calcium hypochlorite; Polymerization: Not pertinent; Inhibitor of Polymerization: Not pertinent.
- Purification MethodsDry the diol with Na2SO4, then CaH2 and fractionally distil it under reduced pressure through a packed column, taking precautions to avoid absorption of water. [Beilstein 1 IV 2565.]
Hexylene Glycol Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Hexylene Glycol 2,4-PENTANEDIOL 1,2-Pentanediol Kresoxim-methyl Methyl bromide Methyl PROPYLENE GLYCOL GlycolEthers 2-METHYL-1,3-PROPANEDIOL 2-Butoxyethanol 2,2-Dimethyl-1,3-propanediol Methyl salicylate Ethylene glycol Parathion-methyl Ethylene glycol diacetate Poly(tetrahydrofuran) Methyl acetate Dipropylene glycol
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Tel:400-620-6333 021-20337333-801
- Company Name:Xi'an Qiao Qi Mei Industry and Trade Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Shanghai Xinyue Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:JinJin Le Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:Nanjing Ruilai New Material Co., Ltd Gold