ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal Sulphides and sulphates > CALCIUM SULFIDE
CALCIUM SULFIDE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:2000 °C
- Density 2.6
- refractive index 2.12
- form Powder
- Specific Gravity2.5
- color White
- Water Solubility Slightly soluble in water. Insoluble in alcohol.
- Sensitive Moisture Sensitive
- Merck 14,1707
- CAS DataBase Reference20548-54-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemCalcium sulfide (CaS) (20548-54-3)
CALCIUM SULFIDE Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesCALCIUM SULFIDE is OFF-WHITE POWDER
- Physical propertiesCalcium sulfide is slightly soluble in water but insoluble in alcohol. It reacts with acids, producing hydrogen sulfide gas. Calcium sulfide is pale yellow to light gray with a bitter taste. It is hygroscopic, producing an odor of H2S in moist air.
- OccurrenceCalcium sulfide occurs in nature as the mineral oldhamite. It has several applications. The ‘luminous’ calcium sulfide is used in phosphors, luminous paints and varnishes. Calcium sulfide also is used as an additive to lubri cants; and as a flotation agent in ore extraction.
- UsesCALCIUM SULFIDE is used in electron emitters. Luminous CaS used for making luminous paints or varnishes.
- UsesCalcium sulfide is used in phosphors, lubricant additives and luminous paints. It reacts with elemental sulfur to give a lime-sulfur. Further, it is used in ore dressing and flotation agent. In addition to this, it is used as a depilatory in the tanning industry and in cosmetics.
- PreparationCalcium sulfide can be
prepared by the direct reaction of the elements, calcined
in an inert atmosphere, at a 1:1.05 molecular ratio:
This white material crystallizes in a cubic structurelike rock salt and the bonding is highly ionic. This is consistent with its description as an ionic solid. CaS can also be produced by the “carbothermic reduction” of calcium sulfate, which entails the conversion of carbon, usually as charcoal, to CO2:
CaSO4＋ 2C→CaS＋ 2CO2
This can react further:
3CaSO4＋ CaS→4CaO＋ 4SO2
Thus, this type of preparation cannot be used to prepare a pure CaS salt.
Calcium sulfide is available commercially as the pure sulfide as well as the polysulfide due to its extensive usage in the past as an insecticide both agriculturally and in home gardens.
CALCIUM SULFIDE Preparation Products And Raw materials
Tin(Ⅱ) sulfide ALUMINUM SULFIDE MAGNESIUM NITRIDE PYRITE Lithium bromide Calcium chloride hexahydrate Poly(vinyl alcohol) Sulfurous Acid Calcium carbide Silicon carbide Zinc sulfide Calcium Calcium sulfide (Ca(Sx)) Calcium sulfide (CaS), solid soln. with strontium sulfide, bismuth and europium-doped Calcium sulfide (CaS), cerium-doped Calcium polysulfide Calcium sulfide (CaS), solid soln. with strontium sulfide, bismuth and copper-doped
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009-