ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Hydrides, nitrides, azides > nitride > MAGNESIUM NITRIDE
MAGNESIUM NITRIDE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:800°C
- Density 2.71 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- form Powder
- Specific Gravity2.71
- Water Solubility Reacts with water.
- Sensitive Moisture Sensitive
- Stability:Air sensitive. Incompatible with moisture, strong acids, strong bases.
- EPA Substance Registry SystemMagnesium nitride (Mg3N2) (12057-71-5)
MAGNESIUM NITRIDE Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionMagnesium nitride has the molecular formula of
Mg3N2 and the molecular weight of 100.9494 g/mol.
It can be prepared by the reaction of Mg metal in
a pure stream of nitrogen gas:
3Mg + 2N2? Mg3N2
At room temperature and pressure, it is a greenish yellow powder. Its density is 2.712 g/cm3 and it melts at about 1500 °C. Its CAS number is 12057-71-5. It reacts with water to produce ammonia gas, as do many metal nitrides: Mg3N2 + 6H2O ? 3Mg(OH)2 + 2NH3 In fact, when magnesium is burned in air, some magnesium nitride is formed in addition to the principal product, MgO. Where two Mg2+ ions are directly linked together. The lattice parameter and coordinates of Mg3N2 were obtained. It is a cubic anti-bixbyite structure with lattice parameter a = 9:9528? . The metal (Mg) atoms are in general positions 48 e of space group Ia3 (x; y; z). There are two crystallographically different kinds of N atoms: N1 is in positions 8b (1/4, 1/4, 1/4), and N2 in positions 24d (x, 0,1/4). In this structure, the N-arrays are fairly close to ideal cubic close packing. The 12 shortest N–N distances are in the range from 3.31 to 3.72?. Each nitrogen atom is coordinated by six Mg atoms. N1 has six Mg neighbors with a distance of 2.14?, while N2 is coordinated by six Mg with different N–Mg distances ranging from 2.084 to 2.179?. The Mg–Mg distances are 2.72?.
- Chemical Propertiessolid
- Aluminum nitride CHROMIUM(III) NITRIDE -325MESH TITANIUM NITRIDE Magnesium fluoride FERROUS SULFATE LITHIUM NITRIDE DYSPROSIUM NITRIDE ERBIUM NITRIDE PRASEODYMIUM(III) NITRIDE YTTRIUM NITRIDE cerium nitride YTTERBIUM NITRIDE GALLIUM NITRIDE LANTHANUM(III) NITRIDE EUROPIUM NITRIDE CALCIUM NITRIDE STRONTIUM NITRIDE MAGNESIUM NITRIDE
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:BeiJing Hwrk Chemicals Limted
- Tel:18600197062 0757-86311057-
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009
- Company Name:Chengdu XiYa Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:Beijing HuaMeiHuLiBiological Chemical