ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Antineoplastic agents > Antimetabolites, Antineoplastic > Floxuridine
Floxuridine Chemical Properties
- Melting point:148 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:150 °C
- alpha 35.9 º (c=1, water)
- Density 1.3751 (estimate)
- storage temp. room temp
- pkapKa 7.44 (Uncertain)
- form Powder
- color White to almost white
- Water Solubility soluble
- Merck 14,4112
- BRN 2645818
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference50-91-9(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceUridine, 2'-deoxy-5-fluoro-(50-91-9)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemFloxuridine (50-91-9)
- Hazard Codes Xn,T,Xi
- Risk Statements 22-68-36/37/38-40-20/21/22
- Safety Statements 22-36-36/37/39-26
- RIDADR UN 2811 6.1/PG 3
- WGK Germany 3
- RTECS YU7525000
- F 10-23
- Hazard Note Toxic
- HazardClass 6.1
- PackingGroup III
- HS Code 29349990
- Hazardous Substances Data50-91-9(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 oral in rat: 215mg/kg
Floxuridine Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesWhite Solid
- OriginatorFUDR,Roche,US ,1971
- UsesFloxuridine USP is used in Palliative treatment of gastrointestinal adenocarcinoma with liver metastases.
- UsesAntiviral; antineoplastic.
- Usesrenal function diagnosis
- DefinitionChEBI: A pyrimidine 2'-deoxyribonucleoside compound having 5-fluorouracil as the nucleobase; used to treat hepatic metastases of gastrointestinal adenocarcinomas and for palliation in malignant neoplasms of the liver and gastrointestinal tract.
- Manufacturing ProcessCells of Streptococcus fecalis (ATCC-8043) were grown in the AOAC folic acid
assay medium [Lepper, Official and Tentative Methods of the Association of Official Agricultural Chemists, Washington, D.C., 7th edition, 784 (1950)],
supplemented with 2 mg per liter of thymine; following the teachings of
Prusoff, Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. & Med. 85, 564 (1954). After 20 hours of
incubation at 37°C, the cells were harvested by centrifugation. The collected
cells were washed three times with four volumes of potassium phosphate
buffer solution (M/15 aqueous KH2PO4 solution, adjusted to pH 8.0 by addition
of 2 N aqueous KOH) and the wet cells were weighed. The cells were finally
suspended in the above potassium phosphate buffer solution and ground in a
glass tissue homogenizer.
An amount of enzyme preparation equivalent to 900 mg of wet cells was made up to 25 ml with the above potassium phosphate buffer solution. 150 mg (1.15 mmol) of 5-fluorouracil and 1.0 gram of thymidine (4.12 mmol) were dissolved in 15 ml of the above potassium phosphate buffer solution. The mixture was incubated at 37°C for 18 hours. After this time, enzyme action was stopped by the addition of four volumes of acetone and one volume of peroxide-free diethyl ether. The precipitated solids were removed by filtration, and the filtrate was evaporated under nitrogen at reduced pressure until substantially all volatile organic solvent had been removed. About 20 ml of aqueous solution, essentially free of organic solvent, remained. This solution was diluted to 100 ml with distilled water.
Ten microliters of this solution were submitted to descending chromatography on a paper buffered with 0.2 N KH2PO4 (pH 7.8), using a solvent mixture of tertiary amyl alcohol:water:n-butyl ether (80:13:7 by volume). A spot visible under ultraviolet light and having Rf = 0.55 was leached with 0.1 N HCl and assayed for deoxyribose by the method of Stumpf, J. Biol. Chem. 169, 367 (1947). This analysis indicated the presence of a minimum of 85.5 mg (0.35 mmol) of 2'-deoxy-5-fluorouridine in the protein-free reaction mixture according to US Patent 2,885,396. An alternate route from 5-fluorouracil via the mercury derivative, through toluoyl deoxyuridines and then toluoyl removal to give floxuridine is described in US Patent 3,041,335.
- brand nameFudr (Mayne).
- Therapeutic FunctionAntiviral, Cancer chemotherapy
- General DescriptionThe drug is available as a 500-mg vial of lyophilized powder.The drug is used to treat metastatic GI adenocarcinoma.The mechanism of action of this fluoropyrimidine deoxynucleosideanalog involves metabolic conversion to 5-fluorouracil(5-FU) metabolites resulting in inhibition of TSthus disrupting DNA synthesis, function, and repair.Resistance can occur because of increased expression of TS,decreased levels of reduced folate 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate,increased activity of DNA repair enzymes, and increasedexpression of dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase(the major catabolic enzyme). The drug is poorly absorbedfrom the GI tract and is extensive metabolized to 5-FU and5-FU metabolites. Dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase is themain enzyme responsible for 5-FU catabolism, and it ispresent in liver, GI mucosa, white blood cells, and kidney.The drug interaction and toxicity profiles are equivalent tothose of 5-FU.
- General DescriptionInhibits DNA synthesis.
- Health HazardACUTE/CHRONIC HAZARDS: Floxuridine is highly toxic by ingestion.
- Fire HazardFlash point data for Floxuridine are not available, but Floxuridine is probably combustible.
- Safety ProfilePoison by ingestion. Moderately toxic by intraperitoneal route. An experimental teratogen. Other experimental reproductive effects. Human systemic effects: hypermotitity, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and other gastrointestinal effects, allergic dermatitis, and bone marrow changes. Human mutation data reported. When heated to decomposition it emits very toxic fumes of Fand NOx.
- Chemical SynthesisFluoxuridine, 5-fluoro-1-(2-deoxyribofuranosyl)-pyrimidin-2,4-(1H,3H)-
dione (184.108.40.206), is a pyrimidine nucleotide made by reacting fluorouracil (220.127.116.11) with
2-deoxyribofuranosylbromide in the presence of silver or mercury salts.
Floxuridine Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materials5-Fluorouracil
- 5-FLUOROURIDINE 5'-MONOPHOSPHATE, DIAMMONIUM SALT, [6-3H]- 3',5'-DI-O-ACETYL-5-FLUORO-2'-DEOXYURIDINE UK 21 T 506 5-FLUOROURIDINE 5'-MONOPHOSPHATE, DIAMMONIUM SALT 5-FLUOROURIDINE-[6-3H] 2'-DEOXY-5-FLUOROURIDINE, [3H]- 5-FLUOROURIDINE 3',5'-DI-O-BENZOYL-5-FLUORO-2'-O-METHYLURIDINE 5-FLUOROURIDINE, [2-14C]- 3',5'-DI-O-ACETYL-5-FLUORO-2'-O-METHYLURIDINE 5-FLUORO 2'-DEOXYURIDINE 5'-MONOPHOSPHATE, DIAMMONIUM SALT, [6-3H]- 5'-O-(4,4'-DIMETHOXYTRITYL)-5-FLUORODEOXYURIDINE-3'-(2-CYANOETHYL-N,N-DIISOPROPYL)PHOSPHORAMIDITE 5-fluorouridine 5'-triphosphate Floxuridine 2'-Deoxyuridine Fluorine 5-Fluorouridine
- Company Name:Hongene Biotech Corporation Gold
- Company Name:TOKYO CHEMICAL INDUSTRY CO., LTD. Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801