Peppermint oil Chemical Properties
- Boiling point:215 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.9 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- FEMA 2848 | PEPPERMINT OIL
- refractive index n
- Flash point:196 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- form Liquid
- color Pale yellow
- OdorMint odour
- optical activity[α]20/D 29°, neat
- Water Solubility Insoluble in water
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference8006-90-4
- EPA Substance Registry SystemOils, peppermint (8006-90-4)
Peppermint oil Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesLiquid with distinctive peppermint odour
- Chemical PropertiesPeppermint oil is produced by steam distillation of the flowering herb Mentha
x piperita L. It is an almost colorless to pale greenish-yellow liquid with
a characteristic peppermint odor.
US oils: d2020 0.899–0.911; n20D 1.4590–1.4650; α20D ?32 ° to ?18 °; solubility: 1 vol in max. 3 vol of 70% ethanol at 20℃.
Oils of other origin, for example, from China and India: d2020 0.898–0.918; n20D 1.4590–1.4650; α20D ?30 ° to ?14 °; solubility: 1 vol in max. 5 vol of 70% ethanol at 20℃.
As in cornmint oil, the main component of peppermint oil is (?)-menthol (36–46%)/(32–49%); it also contains (?)-menthone (15–25%)/(13–28%) and (?)-menthyl acetate (3–6.5%)/(2–8%). However, peppermint oil, unlike cornmint oil, has a higher content of (+)-menthofuran (1.5–6%)/(1–8%); data for the US oils and oils of other origin, for example, China, India.
- Chemical PropertiesThe oil is obtained by steam distillation of the fresh, overground parts of the flowering plant with yields ranging from 0.3 to 0.7%, depending on the origin of the plant. The oil may be rectified by distillation, but is neither partially nor wholly dementholized. It has a characteristic strong penetrating odor of peppermint and a pungent taste, followed by a sensation of coldness when air is drawn into the mouth.
- Physical propertiesPeppermint oil is a pale-yellow liquid. The physical–chemical characteristics of the oil vary depending on the source. For details on Italian, French and American peppermint oil, refer to Burdock (1997).
- Usesfluoroquinolone antibiotic
- Usespeppermint oil is credited with refreshing, cooling, bactericidal, and anti-irritant properties. It is also used as a fragrance. Peppermint oil can produce allergic reactions such as hay fever, skin rashes, and irritation, especially if a dressing is applied over the oil. extracted from the leaves of the peppermint plant, menthol accounts for more than 50 percent of its content.
- Essential oil compositionThe main constituents are identical in all oil varieties, but the relative ratios vary widely. Constituents include alpha- and beta-pinene, limonene, cineol, ethyl amylcarbinol, menthone, isomenthone menthofuran, menthol, neomenthol, isomenthol menthyl acetate and piperitone. The oil contains: menthone: 15 to 32%; esters (menthyl acetate) 3 to 10%; and menthol: 30.0 to 55.0%. More than 100 chemicals have been detected in the peppermint oil and their relative concentration varies between cultivars and geographic location.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by ingestion and intraperitoneal routes. An allergen. Mutation data reported. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes
Peppermint oil Preparation Products And Raw materials
- L-Menthol 2,4-PENTANEDIONE, SILVER DERIVATIVE 1,1,3,3-TETRAMETHYLBUTYL ISOCYANIDE Ethyl isocyanoacetate Tosylmethyl isocyanide SALCOMINE COBALT ETHYLENE DIAMINE CHLORIDE TERT-BUTYL ISOCYANIDE BENZYL ISOCYANIDE TRIS(2,2,6,6-TETRAMETHYL-3,5-HEPTANEDIONATO)EUROPIUM(III) METHYL ISOCYANOACETATE TRIS(2,2,6,6-TETRAMETHYL-3,5-HEPTANEDIONATO)DYSPROSIUM(III) Aluminum acetylacetonate PHENYLSELENOL Cupric acetylacetonate COBALT(II) ACETYLACETONATE Peppermint oil Cornmint oil
- Company Name:Hubei Hengluyuan Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009
- Company Name:China Langchem Inc.
- Company Name:Spectrum Chemical Manufacturing Corp.
- Company Name:Shanghai Worldyang Chemical Co.,Ltd.