ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Ketones spices > Terpene ketone > L(-)-Carvone
L(-)-Carvone Chemical Properties
- Melting point:25°C
- alpha -57 º (neat)
- Boiling point:228-230 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.960 g/mL at 20 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 5.2 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 0.4 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- FEMA 2249 | CARVONE
- refractive index n
- Flash point:192 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- form Liquid
- color Clear colorless to pale yellow
- optical activity[α]20/D 61°, neat
- Water Solubility PRACTICALLY INSOLUBLE
- JECFA Number380
- Merck 14,1874
- BRN 2206714
- CAS DataBase Reference6485-40-1(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceCarvone(6485-40-1)
- EPA Substance Registry System2-Cyclohexen-1-one, 2-methyl-5-(1-methylethenyl)-, (5R)- (6485-40-1)
L(-)-Carvone Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionL-(-)-Carvone is the principal odor component of spearmint. It is with a refreshingly cool, minty odor and taste. It is used as flavor ingredient in a variety of foods and beverages, as well as in toothpaste and mouthwash. It is used as a fragrance in personal care products. It is intended for use in the manufacture of an area repellent for mosquitoes and biting flies. L-(-)-carvone is also used in agriculture as a sprout inhibitor of potatoes.
- References Charles S Sell, The Chemistry of Fragrances: From Perfumer to Consumer, 2nd Edition, 2006
 K. J. Hartmans, P. Diepenhorst, W. Bakker and L. G. M. Gorris, The use of carvone in agriculture: sprout suppression of potatoes and antifungal activity against potato tuber and other plant diseases, Industrial Crops and Products, 1995, vol. 4, 3-13
- Chemical Propertiesclear colorless to pale yellow liquid
- Chemical PropertiesCaravone occurs in different forms. l-Carvone exhibits odor of spearmint, while d-carvone exhibits odor reminiscent of caraway.
- OccurrenceR-Carvone is the main substance in spearmint oil, also present in toothpastes; it is the cause of delayed-type allergy resulting in cheilitis, but Hansson et al. also described a case of angioedema of the lips appearing within minutes after contact with toothpaste, with an open test resulting in an immediate and strong reaction to carvone.
- DefinitionChEBI: A carvone having (R) configuration.
- Aroma threshold valuesDetection: d-Carvone: 6.7 to 820 ppb; l-carvone: 2.7 to 600 ppb
- Safety ProfilePoison by intravenous route. Moderately toxic by ingestion. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
- Chemical SynthesisCarvone occurs in the dextro, levo and racemic form; l-carvone can be isolated from the essential oil of spearmint or is commercially synthesized from d-limonene; d-carvone is usually prepared by fractional distillation of oil of caraway, also from dillseed and dillweed oils, but this type differs in odor and flavors.
L(-)-Carvone Preparation Products And Raw materials
- ETHYL ISOBUTYL KETONE 2,5-DIMETHYL-1-HEXENE 2,5-DIMETHYL-2-HEXENE 5-METHYL-5-HEXEN-2-ONE 2-METHYL-2-CYCLOHEXEN-1-ONE 1,4-DIMETHYLCYCLOHEXENE 5-METHYL-3-HEPTANONE 1-METHYL-1-CYCLOHEXENE 2-METHYL-1,5-HEXADIENE L(-)-Carvone Methylparaben Levodopa METSULFURON METHYL Bensulfuron methyl Methanol Spearmint oil Methyl cellulose D(+)-Carvone, synthetic, 98%,D(+)-Carvone, natural, 98%,(+)-carvone,(+)-(4S)-2-methyl-5-(1-methylethenyl)-2-cyclohexen-1-one,(+)-(4S)-carvol,D-carvone,(S)-(+)-CARVONE,Carvone,98%,ALPHA(+)-CARVONE,D-CARVONE 96+%,(+)-CARVONE, TERPENE STANDARD,(+)-CARVONE,CARVONE, (+)-,D(+)-CARVONE,D-CARVONE,(S)-(+)-CARVONE 99+%,(+)-Carvone, (S)-(+)-Carvone, (S)-5-Isopropenyl-2-methyl-2-cyclohexenone, p-Mentha-6,8-dien-2-one,(+)-Carvone, (S)-5-Isopropenyl-2-methyl-2-cyclohexenone, p-Mentha-6,8-dien-2-one,D(+
- Company Name:Wuhan Huibaixin Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:17364282875 17364282875
- Company Name:Ji 'an trillion spice oil co. LTD Gold
- Tel:18979610200 0796-8110986
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:INTATRADE GmbH
- Tel:+49 3493/605464