ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Hydrocarbons and derivatives > Acyclic hydrocarbons > Oleyl alcohol
Oleyl alcohol Chemical Properties
- Melting point:0-5.0 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:207 °C13 mm Hg(lit.)
- Density 0.849 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor pressure 10.64 hPa (195 °C)
- refractive index n
- FEMA 4363 | CIS-9-OCTADECENOL
- Flash point:>230 °F
- storage temp. −20°C
- solubility Soluble in ethanol (95%), and ether; practically insoluble in water.
- form Viscous Liquid
- color Clear almost colorless to yellow
- Water Solubility Miscible with alcohol and ether. Slightly miscible with carbon tetrachloride. Immiscible with water.
- Merck 14,6831
- JECFA Number1637
- BRN 1723962
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong acids, strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference143-28-2(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceOleyl Alcohol(143-28-2)
- EPA Substance Registry System9-Octadecen-1-ol, (9Z)- (143-28-2)
Oleyl alcohol Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesColourless or light yellow liquid.
- Chemical PropertiesOleyl alcohol occurs as a pale yellow oily liquid that gives off acrid fumes when heated.
- Chemical PropertiesColorless to light yellow liquid; fatty aroma with animal undertones.
- Usesoleyl alcohol is an emollient, solvent, viscosity-increasing agent, and carrier employed in a wide variety of cosmetic formulations including makeup, skin care, and hand and body preparations. oleyl alcohol is an unsaturated fatty alcohol found in fish oils and can also be produced synthetically. According to some sources, it is comedogenic and has a mild irritancy potential.
- UsesChiefly in the manufacture of its sulfuric esters which are detergents and wetting agents, as an antifoam agent; metal cutting lubricant; in carbon paper, stencil paper, printing ink; as a plasticizer; for softening and lubricating textile fabrics; carrier for medicaments.
- DefinitionChEBI: A long chain fatty alcohol that is octadecanol containing a double bond located at position 9 (the Z-geoisomer).
- Production MethodsOleyl alcohol occurs naturally in fish oils. Synthetically, it can be prepared from butyl oleate by a Bouveault–Blanc reduction with sodium and butyl alcohol. An alternative method of manufacture is by the hydrogenation of triolein in the presence of zinc chromite.
- brand nameWitcohol 85 (Witco); Witcohol 90 (Witco).
- Aroma threshold valuesFatty-type, medium strength odor.
- Pharmaceutical ApplicationsOleyl alcohol is mainly used in topical pharmaceutical formulations
and has been used in transdermal delivery formulations.It has
been utilized in the development of biodegradable injectable
thermoplastic oligomers,and in aerosol formulations of insulin
Therapeutically, it has been suggested that oleyl alcohol may exhibit antitumor properties via transmembrane permeation.
- Safety ProfileA human skin and eye irritant. Aningredient in cosmetics. When heated to decomposition itemits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
- SafetyOleyl alcohol is mainly used in topical pharmaceutical formulations
and is generally regarded as a nontoxic and nonirritant material at
the levels employed as an excipient. However, contact dermatitis
due to oleyl alcohol has been reported.
The results of acute oral toxicity and percutaneous studies in animals with products containing 8% oleyl alcohol indicate a very low toxicity. Formulations containing 8% or 20% oleyl alcohol administered by gastric intubation, at doses up to 10 g/kg bodyweight, caused no deaths and no toxic effects in rats.
- storageThe bulk material should be stored in a well-closed container in a cool, dry, place.
- Purification MethodsPurify it by fractional crystallisation at -40o from acetone, then distil it under vacuum. [Beilstein 2 IV 2204.]
- Regulatory StatusIncluded in the FDA Inactive Ingredients Database (topical emulsions and ointments). Included in nonparenteral medicines licensed in the UK. Included in the Canadian List of Acceptable Non-medicinal Ingredients.
Oleyl alcohol Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390