ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Carboxylic acids and esters > Aromatic carboxylic acid ester > Bornyl acetate
Bornyl acetate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:29°C
- alpha -41 º (neat)
- Boiling point:228-231 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.985 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- refractive index n
- FEMA 2159 | BORNYL ACETATE
- Flash point:192 °F
- Merck 13,1329
- JECFA Number1387
- CAS DataBase Reference76-49-3
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceBornyl acetate(76-49-3)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemBornyl acetate (76-49-3)
- WGK Germany 1
Bornyl acetate Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesBornyl acetate occurs in its optically active forms and
as a racemate in many essential oils.
(1S,2R,4S)-(?)-Bornyl acetate is a characteristic component of most conifer oils. It has a camphoraceous, pine-needle-like odor. Both (1R,2S,4R)- (+)-bornyl acetate and (?)-bornyl acetate form colorless crystals; the racemate is a colorless liquid. Bornyl acetate is prepared by esterification of borneol with acetic anhydride or via the process described under borneol.
Due to its characteristic pine-needle odor, bornyl acetate is frequently used in conifer needle compositions, soaps, bath products, room sprays, and pharmaceutical products.
- Chemical PropertiesBornyl acetate has a fresh, strong, piney odor and a fresh, burning taste.
- OccurrenceReported found in the oils of Abies canadensis, A. concolor, Picea canadensis, P. rubens, P. orientalis, Pinus densiflora, Larix americana, Callitris drum-mondi, Abies alba, Pinus punulio, Abies sibirica L., and in coriander, thyme and valerian oil; it has been identified in the essence from flowers of Chrysanthemum sincuse Sabin, in the distillate of Teucrium chamaedris L., and in the fresh rhizomes of Valeriana officinalis L.; d-bornyl acetate is found in the essential oils of Callitris glauca, C. robusta, C. gracilis, C. verrucosa and C. calcarata; the presence of acetate has been excluded from the essence of lavender and lavandin.
- UsesAntineoplastic; radioactive agent.
- Aroma threshold valuesDetection: 75 ppb to 1.38 ppm
- Taste threshold valuesTaste characteristics at 10 ppm: camphoreous, woody, mentholic, berry and seedy with soapy, woody nuances.
- Chemical Synthesisl-Bornyl acetate occurs naturally in many oils distilled from the leaves of plants of the family Pinaceae; d-bornyl acetate is found in the oils distilled from plants of the family Cupressaceae; bornyl acetate, therefore may be isolated by distillation and crystallization from these; however, it is commonly prepared by direct acetylation of borneol; the first synthesis dates to 1889.
Bornyl acetate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsTurpentine oil
- Ruthenium acetate STANNOUS ACETATE MYRISTYL ACETATE Guanidineacetic acid Lithium acetate CADMIUM ACETATE HYDRATE Cupric acetate Hydrazine acetate Cobalt acetate Lead acetate trihydrate STRONTIUM ACETATE Potassium Acetate MANGANESE(II) ACETATE Magnesium acetate Sodium acetate L-(-)-BORNYL ACETATE,L-BORNYL ACETATE,BORNYL ACETATE, L-,(+)-BORNYL ACETATE, TERPENE STANDARD,D-Bornyl acetate,(1R,2S,4R)-bornyl acetate BORNYL ACETATE (ISO),exo-Bornyl acetate TRIS(TRIMETHYLSILYL) PHOSPHATE
- Company Name:Wuhan kemike Biomedical Technology Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:future industrial shanghai co., ltd
- Company Name:BOC Sciences
- Company Name:ShangHai YuanYe Biotechnology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:15800763013 021-61312847-
- Company Name:S.Z. PhyStandard Bio-Tech. Co., Ltd.