ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Aldehydes spices > Acyclic aliphatic aldehydes > Dodecyl aldehyde
Dodecyl aldehyde Chemical Properties
- Melting point:12 °C
- Boiling point:185 °C/100 mmHg (lit.)
- Density 0.831 g/mL at 25 °C (lit.)
- vapor pressure <300 hPa (50 °C)
- FEMA 2615 | LAURIC ALDEHYDE
- refractive index n
- Flash point:215 °F
- storage temp. Store at +2°C to +8°C.
- form neat
- Water Solubility Insoluble
- JECFA Number110
- BRN 1703917
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong reducing agents, strong bases.
- CAS DataBase Reference112-54-9(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceDodecanal(112-54-9)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemDodecanal (112-54-9)
Dodecyl aldehyde Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesDodecanal is a colorless liquid with a waxy odor; in high dilution, it is reminiscent of violets. Dodecanal occurs in several citrus oils and has been found in small amounts in essential oils obtained from several Pinus species. It is used in perfumery in conifer fragrances with fatty, waxy notes, but also in many other odor types. It is added to aroma compositions to obtain citrus notes.
- Chemical PropertiesLauric aldehyde has a characteristic fatty odor reminiscent of violet on dilution and a fatty, woody taste.
- Chemical Propertiescolourless liquid
- OccurrenceReported found in the essential oils of lemon, sweet orange, bitter orange, mandarin, Mexican lime and petitgrain bigarade and in the turpentine of some varieties of pine. Also reported found in berries, apple, carrot, celery, cucumber, rutabaga, ginger, wheat bread, cheeses, milk, butter, caviar, fatty fish, roast chicken, cooked beef and pork, hop oil, beer, rum, peanut, mango, kelp, coriander seed and leaf, lovage leaf, buckwheat, cherimoya, mountain papaya, clam, scallop, loganberry and mate.
- UsesDodecanal is a fragrance agent that is found in soaps, perfumes as well as in food flavoring materials.
- PreparationBy oxidation of the corresponding alcohol or reduction of the acid
- Aroma threshold valuesDetection: 0.5 to 1.5 ppb; aroma characteristics at 2.0%: soapy, waxy, aldehydic, citrus, orange rindy with floral nuances
- Taste threshold valuesTaste characteristics at 2.0 ppm: soapy, waxy, citrus, orange mandarin.
- Synthesis Reference(s)Chemistry Letters, 11, p. 1081, 1982
Journal of the American Chemical Society, 99, p. 7365, 1977 DOI: 10.1021/ja00464a051
Tetrahedron Letters, 17, p. 2503, 1976
- Safety ProfileMildly toxic by ingestion. A human and experimental skin irritant. Combustible liquid. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. See also ALDEHYDES.
- MetabolismSee monograph on aldehyde C-8*
- Purification MethodsConvert lauraldehyde to the bisufite addition compound by shaking with saturated aqueous NaHSO3 for 1hour. The precipitate is filtered off, washed with ice cold water, EtOH and ether, then decomposed with aqueous Na2CO3. The aldehyde is extracted into diethyl ether which, after drying and evaporating, gives an oil which is fractionally distilled under vacuum. [Beilstein 1 IV 3380.]
Dodecyl aldehyde Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Dodecanenitrile 1-Dodecanol Dodecanedioic acid Dodecane Dodecylamine Ammonium ferric sulfate dodecahydrate 1-Dodecanethiol TRIETHANOLAMINE LAURATE Lauric acid Dodecanal O-[(pentafluorophenyl)methyl]oxime DODECANOIC ACID-1-13C CYCLOTRIDECANONE BRASSIDIC ACID Myristoyl chloride 11-CYANO-1-UNDECANOIC ACID 12-Bromododecanoic acid STEAROYL CHLORIDE 12-HYDROXYDODECANOIC ACID
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390