ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Alcohols spices > Acyclic aliphatic alcohols > 2-Pentanol
2-Pentanol Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-50 °C
- Boiling point:118-119 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.812 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 3 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 3 hPa (20 °C)
- FEMA 3316 | 2-PENTANOL
- refractive index n
- Flash point:93 °F
- storage temp. Flammables area
- solubility 166g/l
- form Liquid
- color Clear colorless
- Relative polarity0.488
- Odor Threshold0.29ppm
- explosive limit1.2-10.5%(V)
- Water Solubility 16.6 g/ 100 mL (20 ºC)
- JECFA Number280
- Merck 14,7119
- BRN 1718819
- CAS DataBase Reference6032-29-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference2-Pentanol(6032-29-7)
- EPA Substance Registry System2-Pentanol (6032-29-7)
2-Pentanol Usage And Synthesis
- Description2-Pentanol is a clear liquid that is soluble in water and alcohol. It has a fermented, alcoholic smell. It is used as a flavor and fragrance agent and applied in foods which require a crisp herbal or fruity smell and flavors such as dill, cucumber, cilantro, melon, rhubarb, guava, or tomato. It is used in baked goods, puddings, gravies, meat products, seasonings, soups, and non-alcoholic beverages. 2-pentanol is also used as a solvent and intermediate for the synthesis of other chemicals.
- References https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-Pentanol
- Chemical Propertiesclear colourless liquid
- Chemical PropertiesAmyl alcohols (pentanols) have eight isomers. All are flammable, colorless liquids, except the isomer 2,2- dimethyl-1-propanol, which is a crystalline solid.
- Chemical Properties2-Pentanol has a mild green, fusel-oil odor. This compound is also reported as having a winy, ethereal odor.
- OccurrenceReported found in banana, Satsuma mandarin peel oil, peach, raw asparagus, vinegar, wheaten bread, cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese, other cheeses, roasted barley, roasted filbert, roasted peanut, plum brandy, Bourbon vanilla, Chinese quince, apple, orange juice, bilberry, cranberry, guava, grapes, melon, papaya, pineapple, strawberry, ginger, butter, chicken fat, hop oil, beer, cognac, Scotch whiskey, rum, cider, red wine, cocoa, tea, oats, honey, soybean, coconut meat, passion fruit, beans, mushroom, starfruit, mango, malt, mountain papaya, endive, shrimp, naranjilla fruit and cape gooseberry.
- PreparationBy catalytic reduction of methyl n-propyl ketone.
- DefinitionChEBI: A secondary alcohol that is pentane substituted at position 2 by a hydroxy group.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by ingestion and intraperitoneal routes. A narcotic. A skin and severe eye irritant. Flammable liquid when exposed to heat or flame; can react with oxidzing materials. A severe explosion hazard when exposed to heat or flame. To fight fire, use alcohol foam, dry chemical. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. See also ALCOHOLS
- Potential Exposure(n-isomer); Suspected reprotoxic hazard, Primary irritant (w/o allergic reaction), (iso-, primary): Possible risk of forming tumors, Primary irritant (w/o allergic reaction), (sec-, active primary-, and other isomers) Primary irritant (w/o allergic reaction). Used as a solvent in organic synthesis and synthetic flavoring, pharmaceuticals, corrosion inhibitors; making plastics and other chemicals; as a flotation agent. The (n-isomer) is used in preparation of oil additives, plasticizers, synthetic lubricants, and as a solvent.
- ShippingUN2811 Pentanols, Hazard Class: 3; Labels: 3- Flammable liquid. UN1987 Alcohols, n.o.s., Hazard Class: 3; Labels: 3-Flammable liquid.
- Purification MethodsRefluxed it with CaO, distil it, then reflux it with magnesium and again fractionally distil it. [Beilstein 1 IV 1655.]
- IncompatibilitiesForms an explosive mixture with air. Contact with strong oxidizers and hydrogen trisulfide may cause fire and explosions. Incompatible with strong acids. Violent reaction with alkaline earth metals forming hydrogen, a flammable gas.
- Waste DisposalDissolve or mix the material with a combustible solvent and burn in a chemical incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber. All federal, state, and local environmental regulations must be observed.
2-Pentanol Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation Products2-Pentanone
- Raw materials
- Pentanol Pentaerythritol triacrylate (S)-(-)-2-Methyl-1-butanol Methyl bromide Methyl acrylate Rosin pentaerythrityl ester 3-Pentanol Pentaerythritol Methylparaben Parathion-methyl Bensulfuron methyl Ethyl acetate Methyl Kresoxim-methyl 2-Methyl-2-butanol Thiophanate-methyl 1-Pentanol METHYL THIOPHENE-2-CARBOXYLATE
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Company Name:ShangHai DEMO Chemical Co.,Ltd
- Tel:400-021-7337 qq:2355568890
- Email:firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com