ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > Esters > Propyl Ester compound > Propyl chloroformate
Propyl chloroformate Chemical Properties
- Boiling point:105-106 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.09 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor pressure 0.87 psi ( 20 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:84 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility benzene: miscible(lit.)
- Specific Gravity1.09
- Merck 13,7940
- CAS DataBase Reference109-61-5(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Referencen-Propylchloroformate(109-61-5)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemPropyl chloroformate (109-61-5)
Propyl chloroformate Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesPropyl chloroformate is a colorless liquid.
- UsesOrganic synthesis, military poison gas (lachry- mator).
- Production MethodsPrepared by the reaction of liquid anhydrous n-propyl alcohol with molar excess of dry, chlorine-free phosgene at low temperature.
- General DescriptionA colorless liquid. May be decomposed by water. Severely irritates skin and eyes. Very toxic by ingestion, inhalation or skin absorption. Denser than water and vapors heavier than air. Flash point 50°F. Used to make other chemicals.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. Water (moisture in air or soil) reacts with generation of heat and hydrochloric acid.
- Reactivity ProfileUnstable, decomposes spontaneously to form hydrochloric acid and other products. Avoid moist air. [EPA, 1998]. May react vigorously or explosively if mixed with diisopropyl ether or other ethers in the presence of trace amounts of metal salts [J. Haz. Mat., 1981, 4, 291].
- HazardToxic by inhalation and ingestion, strong irritant to eyes.
- Health HazardStrongly irritating to eyes and mucous membranes. Poisonous; may be fatal if inhaled, swallowed or absorbed through skin.
- Fire HazardWhen heated to decomposition, Propyl chloroformate emits toxic fumes of chlorine containing compounds. Propyl chloroformate is a flammable/combustible material; Propyl chloroformate may be ignited by heat, sparks or flames. Vapors may travel to a source of ignition and flash back. Container may explode in heat or fire. Vapor explosion and poison hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution. Gradually decomposed by water and alcohol. Unstable, decomposes spontaneously to form hydrochloric acid and other products. Avoid moist air.
- Safety ProfilePoison by skin contact. Moderately toxic by ingestion and inhalation. A corrosive irritant to skin, eyes, and mucous membranes. Flammable when exposed to heat or flame, can react vigorously with oxidizing materials. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of Cl-. Used as a reactive intermediate to polymerization initiators.
- Potential ExposurePropyl chloroformate is used in organic synthesis; as an intermediate for polymerization initiators; may have been used as a military poison gas.
- ShippingUN2740 n-Propyl chloroformate, Hazard class: 6.1; Labels: 6.1-Poison Inhalation Hazard, 3-Flammable liquid, 8-Corrosive material. Inhalation Hazard Zone B
- IncompatibilitiesPropyl chloroformate forms explosive mixture with air. Incompatible with oxidizers (chlorates, nitrates, peroxides, permanganates, perchlorates, chlorine, bromine, fluorine, etc.); contact may cause fires or explo- sions. Keep away from alkaline materials, strong bases, strong acids, oxoacids, epoxides, water and alcohols. Reaction with water forms heat and hydrochloric acid. Attacks some metals and coating in the presence of moisture.
Propyl chloroformate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Phenyl chloroformate Isopropylparaben Allyl chloroformate Dimethyl succinate TRIS(TRIMETHYLSILYL) PHOSPHATE Diallyl phthalate Propyl gallate Propyl chloroformate Methyl chloroformate Diisopropyl azodicarboxylate 2'-Hydroxy-3-phenylpropiophenone BUTYL OLEATE Benzyl chloroformate Methyl acrylate Chloroformate Propyl butyrate PROPYL FORMATE Isopropyl alcohol
- Company Name:Suzhou Tianma Specialty Chemicals Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009-
- Company Name:Beijing Ouhe Technology Co., Ltd
- Tel:13552068683 010-82967028-