4,4'-DDE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:88-90 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:403.45°C (rough estimate)
- Density 1.3406 (rough estimate)
- vapor pressure 13 at 30 °C (Wescott et al., 1981)
- refractive index 1.6000 (estimate)
- Flash point:11 °C
- storage temp. APPROX 4°C
- solubility ethanol: soluble
- form neat
- color White, crystalline, odorless powder
- Water Solubility 292mg/L(25 ºC)
- BRN 1913355
- Henry's Law Constant0.33 at 25 °C (gas stripping-GC, Jantunen and Bidleman, 2006)
- Stability:Stable, but light-sensitive. Incompatible with strong bases, strong oxidizing agents.
- EPA Substance Registry Systemp,p'-DDE (72-55-9)
- Hazard Codes Xn,N,T,F
- Risk Statements 22-40-50/53-52/53-39/23/24/25-23/24/25-11-67-65-38-51/53
- Safety Statements 36/37-60-61-45-16-7-62-33-29-9
- RIDADR UN 3077 9/PG 3
- WGK Germany 3
- RTECS KV9450000
- HazardClass 9
- PackingGroup III
- HS Code 29036990
- ToxicityAcute oral LD50 for rats 880 mg/kg (RTECS, 1985).
4,4'-DDE Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertieswhite crystalline powder
- UsesMilitary product; chemical research. Degradation product of p,p′-DDT.
- DefinitionChEBI: A chlorophenylethylene that is ethylene substituted by two 4-chlorophenyl groups at position 1 and two chlorine atoms at position 2.
- General DescriptionWhite crystalline solid or white powder.
- Air & Water ReactionsInsoluble in water.
- Reactivity Profile4,4'-DDE is sensitive to exposure to light. 4,4'-DDE is incompatible with strong oxidizing agents and strong bases. Oxidation is catalyzed by UV radiation.
- Health HazardA derivative of DDT; structurally and toxicproperties are similar to those of DDT;however, the acute effects are somewhatmilder; moderately toxic by ingestion; ateratogenic substance; adequate evidence ofcarcinogenicity in experimental animals
LD50 oral (rat): 880 mg/kg
LD50 oral (mouse): 700 mg/kg.
- Fire HazardFlash point data for 4,4'-DDE are not available. 4,4'-DDE is probably combustible.
- Safety ProfileSuspected carcinogen withexperimental carcinogenic and neoplastigenic data. Poisonby ingestion. Experimental reproductive effects. Mutationdata reported. An insecticide. When heated todecomposition it emits very toxic fumes of Cl-.
- SourceAgricultural runoff degradation of p,p′-DDT (quoted, Verschueren, 1983).
- Environmental FateBiological. In four successive 7-day incubation periods, p,p′-DDE (5 and 10 mg/L) was recalcitrant to degradation in a settled domestic wastewater inoculum (Tabak et al.,1981).
Photolytic. When an aqueous solution of p,p′-DDE (0.004uM) in natural water samples collected from California and Hawaii was irradiated (maximum λ= 240 nm) for 120 hours, 62% was photooxidized to p,p′-dichlorobenzophenone (Ross and Crosby, 1985).
When p,p′-DDE in water was irradiated at 313 nm, a quantum yield of 0.3 was achieved. A photolysis half-life of 0.9 days in summer and 6.1 days in winter by direct sunlight at 40° latitude was observed. Photolysis products included DDMU (yield 20%), o-chl
When p,p′-DDE in a methanol solvent was photolyzed at 260 nm, a dichloro-benzophenone, a dichlorobiphenyl, DDMU and 3,6-dichlorofluorenone (yield 10%) formed as the major products (Plimmer et al., 1970). Chemical/Physical. May degrade to bis(chlorophenyl)acetic acid (DDA) and hydrochloric acid in water (Verschueren, 1983) or oxidize to p,p′-dichlorobenzophenone using UV light as a catalyst (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1989).
- Purification MethodsCrystallise DDE from MeOH or EtOH and dry it in vacuo. The purity is checked by TLC. [G.tzi & Stammbach Helv Chim Acta 28 569 1946, Beilstein 5 H 639, 5 III1891.] POSSIBLE CARCINOGEN.
- 1,1-Diphenylethylene 4-Chlorostyrene 4,4'-DDE D8 Styrene 4-CHLORODIPHENYLMETHANE CIS-1-CHLOROPROPENE 4,4'-DDE 4,4'-DDE (13C12),4,4'-DDE (RING-13C12) 1-(1-(4-CHLOROPHENYL)VINYL)BENZENE 4-Chlorotoluene 1-CHLORO-1-PROPENE DCM VINYL CHLORIDE BETA-CHLOROSTYRENE VINYLIDENE CHLORIDE ISOBUTYLENE 1-CHLORO-2-METHYL-1-PROPENE 4,4'-DDMU
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009-
- Company Name:BEST-REAGENT
- Tel:18981987031 400-1166-196