POTASSIUM ALGINATE Chemical Properties
- solubility Potassium alginate is soluble in water, dissolving to form a viscous hydrophilic colloidal solution. It is insoluble in ethanol (95%) and in hydroalcoholic solutions in which the alcohol content is greater than 30% by weight; also insoluble in chloroform, ether, and acids having a pH lower than about 3. When preparing solutions of potassium alginate it is important to ensure proper dispersion of the particles, as poor dispersion will lead to the formation of large lumps of unhydrated powder and significantly extended hydration times.
POTASSIUM ALGINATE Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesOccurs in filamentous, grainy, granular, and powdered forms. It is colorless or slightly yel- low and may have a slight characteristic smell and taste. Slowly soluble in water, forming a viscous solution; insoluble in alcohol.
- Chemical PropertiesPotassium alginate occurs as a white to yellowish, fibrous or granular powder; it is almost odorless and tasteless.
- UsesPotassium Alginate is a gum that is the potassium salt of alginic acid. It is soluble in cold water, forming a viscous colloidal solution. It functions as a stabilizer, thickener, and gelling agent. It is used in dietetic foods, low-sodium foods, dry mixes, and dental impression material. Typical usage levels range from 0.05 to 0.50%.
- UsesThickening agent and stabilizer in dairy prod- ucts, canned fruits, and sausage casings; emulsifier. See alginic acid.
- DefinitionHydrophilic colloid having a molecular weight of 32,000–250,000.
- Production MethodsAlginate obtained from brown seaweed is subjected to demineralization, extraction, and precipitation of alginic acid. Following neutralization, the potassium alginate obtained is dried and milled.
- Pharmaceutical ApplicationsPotassium alginate is widely used in foods as a stabilizer, thickener, and emulsifier; however, its use as a pharmaceutical excipient is currently limited to experimental hydrogel systems. The viscosity, adhesiveness, elasticity, stiffness, and cohesiveness of potassium alginate hydrogels have been determined and compared with values from a range of other hydrogel-forming materials.The effect of calcium ions on the rheological properties of procyanidin hydrogels containing potassium alginate and intended for oral administration has also been investigated.
- SafetyPotassium alginate is widely used in food products. It is currently used as an excipient only in experimental pharmaceutical formulations.
- storageIn the solid state, potassium alginate is a stable material that is not
prone to microbial spoilage. Over time, a slow reduction in the
degree of polymerization can occur, which may be reflected in a
reduction in the viscosity of solutions. As both temperature and
moisture can impair the performance of potassium alginate, storage
below 25°C is recommended.
Potassium alginate solutions are stable at pH 4–10; long-term storage outside this range can result in depolymerization of the polymer through hydrolysis. Gelation or precipitation of the alginate can occur at pH values less than 4. Liquid or semisolid alginate formulations should be preserved: suitable preservatives are sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, or parabens.
Potassium alginate should be stored under cool, dry conditions in a well-closed container.
- IncompatibilitiesIncompatible with strong oxidizers.
- Regulatory StatusGRAS listed. Accepted for use in foods in the USA and Europe.
POTASSIUM ALGINATE Preparation Products And Raw materials
- TRIS(2,2,6,6-TETRAMETHYL-3,5-HEPTANEDIONATO)EUROPIUM(III) COBALT ETHYLENE DIAMINE CHLORIDE Aluminum acetylacetonate METHYL ISOCYANOACETATE CHROMIUM(III) ACETYLACETONATE SALCOMINE DICHLORO(ETHYLENEDIAMINE)PLATINUM(II) TRIS(2,2,6,6-TETRAMETHYL-3,5-HEPTANEDIONATO)DYSPROSIUM(III) Ethyl isocyanoacetate N-BUTYLISOCYANIDE 2,4-PENTANEDIONE, SILVER DERIVATIVE Tosylmethyl isocyanide TERT-BUTYL ISOCYANIDE Ferric acetylacetonate Cupric acetylacetonate PHENYLSELENOL 1,1,3,3-TETRAMETHYLBUTYL ISOCYANIDE BENZYL ISOCYANIDE
- Company Name:Beijing HuaMeiHuLiBiological Chemical
- Company Name:Chizhou Kailong Import and Export Trade Co., Ltd.
- Tel:Please Email
- Company Name:Wuhan Magic Biological Technology Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:Guangzhou Kafen Biotech Co.,Ltd
- Tel:18029243487 QQ：2355327168
- Company Name:Shanghai Orgchem Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:+86-21-5877 1921