ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Antibiotics > Tetracycline drugs > Oxytetracycline hydrochloride
Oxytetracycline hydrochloride Chemical Properties
- Melting point:180°C
- alpha -188～-200°(D/20℃)(c=1,0.1mol/l HCl) (calculated on the dried basis)
- storage temp. 0-6°C
- solubility Freely soluble in water, sparingly soluble in ethanol (96 per cent). Solutions in water become turbid on standing, owing to the precipitation of oxytetracycline.
- form crystalline
- color yellow
- PH2.0～3.0 (10g/l, 25℃)
- Water Solubility >100 g/L
- Sensitive Light Sensitive
- Merck 14,6976
- BRN 3853107
- CAS DataBase Reference2058-46-0(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemOxytetracycline hydrochloride (2058-46-0)
Oxytetracycline hydrochloride Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionOxytetracycline is a tetracycline analog isolated from the actinomycete Streptomyces rimosus. Oxytetracycline is an antibiotic indicated for treatment of infections caused by Gram positive and Gram negative microorganisms such as Mycoplasma pneumoniae, Pasteurella pestis, Escherichia coli, Haemophilus influenzae, and Diplococcus pneumoniae. It is used in studies on the oxytetracycline-resistance gene (otrA). Oxytetracycline hydrochloride is used to study phagosome-lysosome (P-L) fusion in P388D1 cells and antibiotic susceptibilities of Mycoplasma bovis isolates.
- Chemical PropertiesYellow Crystalline Solid
- UsesOxytetracycline hydrochloride is a salt prepared from oxytetracycline taking advantage of the basic dimethylamino group which protonates readily to form the salt in hydrochloric acid solutions. The hydrochloride is the preferred formulation for pharmaceutical applications. Like all tetracyclines, oxytetracycline shows broad spectrum antibacterial and antiprotozoan activity and acts by binding to the 30S and 50S ribosomal sub-units, blocking protein synthesis.
- UsesAntibiotic substance isolated from the elaboration products of the actinomycete, Streptomyces rimosus, grown on a suitable medium. Antibacterial
- Manufacturing ProcessThe pH was adjusted to 7.0 with sodium hydroxide and calcium carbonate was added at the rate of 1 g/l.
500 ml portions of the above medium were added to Fernbach flasks which were then sterilized at 121°C for 30 minutes. Upon cooling, the flasks were inoculated with a suspension of the growth of s. rimosus obtained from the surface of beef lactose agar slants, and the flasks were shaken for 4 days at 28°C on a rotary shaker having a displacement of 2" at an rpm of 200. At the end of this period the broth was found to contain 640 C.D.U/ml and 400 chloramphenicol units/ml. The mycelium was separated from the broth by filtration and the latter was adjusted to pH 9.0. The antibiotic was extracted from the broth with n-butanol, and when the ultraviolet absorption spectrum was observed on the butanol solution of the antibiotic, peaks in the absorption curve were found at 385 and 270 millimicrons.
- brand nameTerramycin (Pfizer).
- Therapeutic Function Antibiotic
- General DescriptionEarly in 1950, Finlay et al.182 reported the isolation of oxytetracycline(Terramycin) from S. rimosus. This compoundwas soon identified as a chemical analog of chlortetracycline that showed similar antibiotic properties. The structureof oxytetracycline was elucidated by Hochstein et al.183 andthis work provided the basis for the confirmation of thestructure of the other tetracyclines.
Oxytetracycline hydrochloride is a pale yellow, bitter,crystalline compound. The amphoteric base is only slightlysoluble in water and slightly soluble in alcohol. It is odorlessand stable in air but darkens on exposure to strong sunlight.The hydrochloride salt is a stable yellow powder that ismore bitter than the free base. It is much more soluble inwater, 1 g dissolving in 2 mL, and more soluble in alcoholthan the free base. Both compounds are inactivated rapidlyby alkali hydroxides and by acid solutions below pH 2. Bothforms of oxytetracycline are absorbed rapidly and equallywell from the digestive tract, so the only real advantage thefree base offers over the hydrochloride salt is that it is lessbitter. Oxytetracycline hydrochloride is also used for parenteraladministration (intravenously and intramuscularly).
- General DescriptionOdorless fluffy yellow solid or yellow powder. Bitter taste.
- Air & Water ReactionsOxytetracycline hydrochloride is hygroscopic. Water soluble. Undergoes slow hydrolysis in the presence of water. Concentrated aqueous solutions at neutral pH hydrolyze on standing.
- Reactivity ProfileOxytetracycline hydrochloride is sensitive to light. Oxytetracycline hydrochloride may be unstable at temperatures above 77° F. Oxytetracycline hydrochloride darkens on exposure to sunlight or to moist air above 194° F. Concentrated aqueous solutions at neutral pH hydrolyze on standing. Oxytetracycline hydrochloride undergoes hydrolysis in the presence of water. Oxytetracycline hydrochloride may be incompatible with alkalis.
- Fire HazardFlash point data for Oxytetracycline hydrochloride are not available. Oxytetracycline hydrochloride is probably combustible.
Oxytetracycline hydrochloride Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Metoclopramide hydrochloride Cefcapene pivoxil hydrochloride Bromhexine hydrochloride Ceftiofur hydrochloride Cefotiam hydrochloride Tetracycline hydrochloride Oxytetracycline hydrochloride USP24 3-(3-METHYL-BUT-3-ENYL)-PHENOL (S)-(+)-1,2,3,4-Tetrahydro-1-naphthol 3-METHYL-2-CYCLOHEXEN-1-OL (S)-1-PHENYL-BUT-3-EN-1-OL 1-PHENYL-1-OCTANOL 2,4-DIETHYL-2,6-HEPTADIENAL (+)-TRANS-P-MENTH-2-ENE 2,4-DIMETHYL-3-CYCLOHEXENE-1-METHANOL (S)-2-METHYL-1-PHENYL-BUT-3-EN-1-OL (E,Z)-2,6-DODECADIEN-1-AL 2,4-DIMETHYL-2,6-HEPTADIENAL
- Company Name:Wuhan HongxinKang Fine Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:027-59362599 18674037007
- Company Name:Zhejiang Zetian Fine Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18957127338 0571-87682782-
- Company Name:Hebei mo Jin biotechnology co., ltd Gold
- Company Name:Jinhua Fanshuo Biological Technology Co. LTD Gold
- Company Name:Yongkang Qihong Biological Technology Co., LTD Gold