Succimer Chemical Properties
- Melting point:196-198 °C (dec.)(lit.)
- Boiling point:285.62°C (rough estimate)
- Density 1.439 (estimate)
- refractive index 1.5220 (estimate)
- storage temp. −20°C
- pkapK1:2.71;pK2:3.48;pK3:8.89(SH);pK4:10.79(SH) (25°C)
- form Powder
- color White to off-white
- Water Solubility Soluble in water, and ethanol (25 mg/ml, results in colorless to light yellow, clear).
- Merck 14,8865
- BRN 1725150
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference304-55-2(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemButanedioic acid, 2,3-dimercapto-, (2R,3S)-rel- (304-55-2)
Succimer Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionSuccimer is a newly available oral chelator of lead and other heavy metals. The compound is indicated for the treatment of lead poisoning in children. Succimer does not bind iron, calcium or magnesium and preferentially binds lead, mercury and arsenic over copper or zinc. The metal-bound succimer is excreted in the urine. The drug may also be effective in adults.
- Chemical Propertieswhite or off-white powder
- OriginatorJohnson and Johnson (J&J) (U.S.A.)
- UsesA selective masking agent for cadmium in EDTA titration of zinc.
- Useschelating agent, antihypertensive
- Usesmeso-2,3-Dimercaptosuccinic Acid is used as a chelating agent and masking agent for cadmium in EDTA titration of zinc.
- Useschelating agent, treatment of lead poisoning
- UsesA water-soluble chelating agent.
- UsesChelating agent.
- DefinitionChEBI: A sulfur-containing carboxylic acid that is succinic acid bearing two mercapto substituents at positions 2 and 3. A lead chelator used as an antedote to lead poisoning.
- brand nameChemet (Ovation).
- Pharmaceutical ApplicationsDimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA) is a modification of BAL containing two thiol groups, which are responsible for the unpleasant
smell, and two carboxylic acid groups. DMSA is also known under the name Succimer. It chemical name
is meso-2,3-dimercaptosuccinic acid and the chemical formula is HO2CCH(SH)CH(SH)CO2H. There are
two diastereomeric forms, meso and the chiral DL forms, with the meso isomer being used as chelating agent.
DMSA was developed in the 1960s and replaced BAL and edetate in some countries for the treatment of lead, arsenic and mercury poisoning. Furthermore, the dimethylester modification of DMSA has been successfully used for the treatment of heavy-metal poisoning.
- Pharmaceutical ApplicationsThe unlicensed drug Succimer (DMSA, meso-2,3-dimercaptosuccinic acid) may be valuable in the treatment of most forms of heavy-metal poisoning including lead, arsenic and mercury. These and other chelating agents such as unithiol (DMPS, 2,3-dimercapto-1-propanesulfonic acid) and α-lipoic acid (ALA) are also used in alternative medicine, which has led to much criticism and discussion. So far, no medical study has proven the effectiveness of chelation therapy for any clinical application other than heavy-metal poisoning.
- Veterinary Drugs and TreatmentsIn veterinary medicine, succimer may be useful for the oral treatment of lead poisoning in small animals (including birds). Potentially, it also may be of benefit for the treatment of other toxic heavy metals such as arsenic or mercury, but more research must be done before this can be recommended.
- Purification MethodsPurify the acid by dissolving it in NaOH and precipitating with dilute HCl, drying and recrystallising from MeOH. IR has at 2544 (SH) and max 1689 (CO2H) cm-1 . The bis-S-acetyl derivative has m 183-185o (from EtOAc or Me2CO), and its Me ester has m 119-120o (from pet ether) [Gerecke et al. Helv Chim Acta 44 957 1961, Owen & Sultanbawa J Chem Soc 3112 1949]. [Beilstein 3 III 1033.]
Succimer Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsmeso-2,3-Dibromosuccinic acid
- 2-Ethylhexyl mercaptoacetate Mercaptoacetic acid Calcium thioglycolate 1,2-PROPANEDITHIOL 2,3-dimercaptopropionic acid (S)-(-)-THIOLACTIC ACID 2-Mercaptobutyric acid 2,3-Butanedithiol 2,3-Dimercapto-1-propanol DMSA Mercaptosuccinic acid Succimer POTASSIUM THIOGLYCOLATE 3-Mercaptopropionic acid Disodium succinate Folic acid Ascoric Acid Succinic acid
- Company Name:Shijiazhuang Aocheng Biotech Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Hubei Speed ??Pur Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:15387132319 027-87737261-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:INTATRADE GmbH
- Tel:+49 3493/605464