2-Mercaptoethanol Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-100 °C
- Boiling point:157 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.115 g/mL at 20 °C
- vapor density 2.69 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 1 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- FEMA 4582 | 2-HYDROXYETHANETHIOL
- refractive index n
- Flash point:165 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility H2O: 1 mL/mL
- pka9.72(at 25℃)
- form liquid
- color Clear colorless to slightly yellow
- Specific Gravity1.119 (20/4℃)
- OdorDisagreeable odor
- PH4.5-6 (500g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- PH Range4.5 - 6 at 500 g/l at 20 °C
- explosive limit2.3-18%(V)
- Water Solubility soluble
- FreezingPoint <100℃
- Sensitive Air Sensitive & Hygroscopic
- λmaxλ: 260 nm Amax: 1.5
λ: 280 nm Amax: 0.3
- JECFA Number1925
- Merck 14,5869
- BRN 773648
- CAS DataBase Reference60-24-2(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceEthanol, 2-mercapto-(60-24-2)
- EPA Substance Registry System2-Mercaptoethanol (60-24-2)
- Hazard Codes T,N
- Risk Statements 20/22-24-34-51/53-36/37/38-22-23/24/25-50/53-48/22-43-41-38
- Safety Statements 26-36/37/39-45-61-29-23-27-60
- RIDADR UN 2966 6.1/PG 2
- WGK Germany 3
- RTECS KL5600000
- F 3-10-13-23
- Autoignition Temperature295 °C
- TSCA Yes
- HazardClass 6.1
- PackingGroup II
- HS Code 29309070
- Hazardous Substances Data60-24-2(Hazardous Substances Data)
2-Mercaptoethanol Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesClear colorless liquid
- Uses2-Mercaptoethanol is used in the synthesis of nano-graphene for cellular imaging and drug delivery. Also used in the synthesis of multifunctional polymeric micelle used in specific targeting of tumor disruption.
- General DescriptionA water-white liquid. May be toxic by ingestion, inhalation, or skin absorption.
- Air & Water ReactionsNo rapid reaction with air. No rapid reaction with water.
- Reactivity ProfileOrganosulfides, such as 2-Mercaptoethanol, are incompatible with acids, diazo and azo compounds, halocarbons, isocyanates, aldehydes, alkali metals, nitrides, hydrides, and other strong reducing agents. Reactions with these materials generate heat and in many cases hydrogen gas. Many of these compounds may liberate hydrogen sulfide upon decomposition or reaction with an acid.
- HazardToxic by inhalation and ingestion.
- Health HazardTOXIC; inhalation, ingestion or skin contact with material may cause severe injury or death. Contact with molten substance may cause severe burns to skin and eyes. Avoid any skin contact. Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed. Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may be corrosive and/or toxic and cause pollution.
- Fire HazardCombustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily. When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors and sewers explosion hazards. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated. Runoff may pollute waterways. Substance may be transported in a molten form.
- Safety ProfilePoison by ingestion, skin contact, and intraperitoneal routes. Moderately toxic by intravenous route. A skin and severe eye irritant. Human mutation data reported. A combustible liquid when exposed to heat, flame, or oxidizers. To fight fire, use alcohol foam, CO2, dry chemical. When heated to decomposition it emits highly toxic fumes of SOx. See also MERCAPTANS.
- Purification MethodsPurify it by distilling in a vacuum. Distilling at atmospheric pressure causes some oxidation and should be done in an inert atmosphere. [Woodward J Chem Soc 1892 1948.] It has a foul odour, is irritating t o the eyes, nose and skin — should be handled in an efficient fume cupboard. It is miscible with H2O, EtOH, Et2O and *C6H6 and the UV has max at 235nm. The 2,4-dinitrophenyl thioether has m 101-102o (from EtOH or aqueous MeOH) [Grogen et al. J Org Chem 20 50 1955]. [Beilstein 1 IV 2428.]
2-Mercaptoethanol Preparation Products And Raw materials
- 3,6-Dithia-1,8-octanediol 2,2'-DITHIODIETHANOL (BENZYLTHIO)ACETIC ACID 2-(METHYLTHIO)ETHANOL (ETHANEDIYLIDENETETRATHIO)TETRAACETIC ACID 2,2'-SULFONYLDIETHANOL METHYL (METHYLSULFINYL)ACETATE,80% TECH. BIS(CARBOXYMETHYL) TRITHIOCARBONATE D-GLUCOSE DIETHYL MERCAPTAL Potassium thioacetate 1,2-Ethanedithiol Thioacetic acid Ethanethiol Ammonium thiosulfate 2-Mercaptoethanol Thioacetamide Ethylene glycol Sodium thiosulfate