ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Hydrocarbons and derivatives > Acyclic hydrocarbons > 1-Pentene
1-Pentene Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-165 °C
- Boiling point:30 °C
- Density 0.641 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 2.4 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 10.27 psi ( 20 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:−20 °F
- storage temp. Keep Cold
- solubility alcohol: miscible(lit.)
- form Liquid
- pka>14 (Schwarzenbach et al., 1993)
- Specific Gravity0.64
- color Clear colorless
- OdorLike gasoline.
- Odor Threshold0.1ppm
- explosive limit8.7%
- Water Solubility 0.15 g/L (20 ºC)
- Merck 14,7122
- BRN 1731629
- Henry's Law Constant0.406 at 25 °C (Hine and Mookerjee, 1975)
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents. Highly flammable - readily forms explosive mixtures with air.
- CAS DataBase Reference109-67-1(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference1-Pentene(109-67-1)
- EPA Substance Registry System1-Pentene (109-67-1)
- Hazard Codes F+,Xn,F,Xi
- Risk Statements 12-52/53-65
- Safety Statements 61-62-16
- RIDADR UN 1108 3/PG 1
- WGK Germany 3
- RTECS SB2179000
- Autoignition Temperature522 °F
- Hazard Note Irritant/Extremely Flammable/Keep Cold
- TSCA Yes
- HazardClass 3
- PackingGroup I
- HS Code 29321900
- Hazardous Substances Data109-67-1(Hazardous Substances Data)
1-Pentene Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Properties1-Pentene, C5H10, is a flammable liquid with specific gravity 0.641. It occurs in coal tar and in petroleum cracking mixtures, and polymerizes on extended periods of storage (15, 320).
- Physical propertiesClear, colorless, volatile, very flammable liquid with a disagreeable odor. An odor threshold concentration of 10 ppbv was determined by a triangular odor bag method (Nagata and Takeuchi, 1990).
- UsesBlending agent for high octane motor fuel; organic synthesis.
- Production Methods1-Pentene is prepared from allyl bromide and ethyl magnesium bromide in ether or in dipropyl ether.
- General DescriptionColorless liquid with an odor of gasoline. Flash point -20°F(Aldrich). Insoluble in water and less dense than water. Hence floats on water. Flammable vapor is produced. Boiling point 86°F.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity Profile1-Pentene may react vigorously with strong oxidizing agents. May react exothermically with reducing agents to release hydrogen gas. May undergo exothermic polymerization reactions in the presence of various catalysts (such as acids) or initiators.
- Health HazardActs as a simple asphyxiant or weak anesthetic in high vapor concentrations. Similar to effects caused by gasoline vapors.
- Fire HazardBehavior in Fire: Containers may explode in fire.
- Chemical ReactivityReactivity with Water No reaction; Reactivity with Common Materials: No reaction; Stability During Transport: Stable; Neutralizing Agents for Acids and Caustics: Not pertinent; Polymerization: Not pertinent; Inhibitor of Polymerization: Not pertinent.
- Potential ExposureWorkers in petroleum refineries and petrochemical plants.
- SourceSchauer et al. (2001) measured organic compound emission rates for volatile organic
compounds, gas-phase semi-volatile organic compounds, and particle-phase organic compounds
from the residential (fireplace) combustion of pine, oak, and eucalyptus. The gas-phase emission
rate of 1-pentene was 8.6 mg/kg of pine burned. Emission rates of 1-pentene were not measured
during the combustion of oak and eucalyptus.
California Phase II reformulated gasoline contained 1-pentene at a concentration of 1.48 g/kg. Gas-phase tailpipe emission rates from gasoline-powered automobiles with and without catalytic converters were 0.40 and 51.8 mg/km, respectively (Schauer et al., 2002).
- Environmental FateBiological. Biooxidation of 1-pentene may occur yielding 4-penten-1-ol, which may oxidize to
give 4-pentenoic acid (Dugan, 1972). Washed cell suspensions of bacteria belonging to the genera
Mycobacterium, Nocardia, Xanthobacter, and Pseudomonas and growing on selected alkenes
metabolized 1-pentene to 1,2-epoxypentane. Mycobacterium sp., growing on ethene, hydrolyzed
1,2-epoxypropane to 1,2-propanediol (Van Ginkel et al., 1987).
Photolytic. The following rate constants were reported for the reaction of 1-pentene and OH radicals in the atmosphere: 1.8 x 10-13 cm3/molecule?sec at 300 K (Hendry and Kenley, 1979); 3.14 x 10-11 cm3/molecule?sec (Atkinson, 1990). Atkinson (1990) also reported a photooxidation rate constant of 1.10 x 10-17 cm3/molecule?sec for the reaction of 1-pentene and ozone.
Chemical/Physical. Complete combustion in air yields carbon dioxide and water.
- ShippingUN1108 1-Pentene, Hazard Class: 3; Labels: 3-Flammable liquid
- IncompatibilitiesVapors may form explosive mixture with air. Incompatible with oxidizers (chlorates, nitrates, peroxides, permanganates, perchlorates, chlorine, bromine, fluorine, etc.); contact may cause fires or explosions. Excessive heat may cause polymerization. Keep away from alkaline materials, strong bases, strong acids, oxoacids, epoxides, heat. Incompatible with strong reducing agents such as hydrides; oxidizers (chlorates, nitrates, peroxides, permanganates, perchlorates, chlorine, bromine, fluorine, etc.); contact may cause fires or explosions. Keep away from alkaline materials, strong bases, strong acids, oxoacids, epoxides.
- Waste DisposalDissolve or mix the material with a combustible solvent and burn in a chemical incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber. All federal, state, and local environmental regulations must be observed.
1-Pentene Preparation Products And Raw materials
- TRIS(2,2,6,6-TETRAMETHYL-3,5-HEPTANEDIONATO)EUROPIUM(III) TRIS(2,2,6,6-TETRAMETHYL-3,5-HEPTANEDIONATO)YTTERBIUM 8-Bromo-1-octene Ethyl chrysanthemumate α-Lipoic Acid Cyclopentene DL-Limonene Refine C5 1-Pentene-3-ol Diethylstilbestrol METHYLCYCLOPENTADIENE DIMER TRANS-1,3-PENTADIENE 1,3-Cyclopentadiene 1-Pentene 5-Bromo-1-pentene 4-Methyl-1-pentene 1,2-PENTADIENE Ethyl vinyl ketone
- Company Name:West Asia Chemical Technology (Shandong) Co. Ltd Gold
- Company Name:Wuhan eastop Technology Co., ltd.6 Gold
- Tel:18086641195 027-87382885-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar