ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Carboxylic acids and esters > Aliphatic dicarboxylic acid esters > Dibutyl sebacate
Dibutyl sebacate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:205 °C (dec.)(lit.)
- Boiling point:178-179 °C3 mm Hg(lit.)
- Density 0.94
- FEMA 2373 | DIBUTYL SEBACATE
- refractive index n
- Flash point:>230 °F
- storage temp. Sealed in dry,Room Temperature
- solubility hexane, toluene, ethanol and acetone: soluble
- form Liquid
- Specific Gravity0.937 (20/4℃)
- color Clear
- Water Solubility 50mg/L(temperature not stated)
- JECFA Number625
- BRN 1798308
- CAS DataBase Reference109-43-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceDi-n-butyl sebacate(109-43-3)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemDibutyl sebacate (109-43-3)
Dibutyl sebacate Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertiesclear liquid
- Chemical PropertiesDibutyl sebacate is a clear, colorless, oily liquid with a bland to slight butyl odor.
- UsesDibutyl sebacate (DBS) is a dibutyl ester of sebacic acid. Dibutyl sebacate can be used for plastics in use in the food packaging industry, in plastics used for medical devices, and for pharmaceutical applications. Dibutyl sebacate is also used as a desensitizer in Otto fuel II, a torpedo monopropellant.
- Production MethodsDibutyl sebacate is manufactured by the esterification of n-butanol and sebacic acid in the presence of a suitable catalyst, and by the distillation of sebacic acid with n-butanol in the presence of concentrated acid.
- PreparationBy distillation of sebacic acid with butyl alcohol in the presence of concentrated HCl in benzene solution or by reacting butyl alcohol and sebacyl chloride
- Pharmaceutical ApplicationsDibutyl sebacate is used in oral pharmaceutical formulations as a plasticizer for film coatings on tablets, beads, and granules, at concentrations of 10–30% by weight of polymer. It is also used as a plasticizer in controlled-release tablets and microcapsule preparations.
Dibutyl sebacate is also used as a synthetic flavor and flavor adjuvant in food products;for example,up to 5ppm is used in ice cream and nonalcoholic beverages.
- Safety ProfileMddly toxic by ingestion. Experimental reproductive effects. Combustible liquid when exposed to heat or flame; can react with oxidzing materials. To fight fire, use CO2 position it emits acrid smoke and fumes. See also ESTERS and n-BUTYL. ALCOHOL.
- SafetyDibutyl sebacate is used in cosmetics, foods, and oral pharmaceutical formulations, and is generally regarded as a nontoxic and nonirritant material. Following oral administration, dibutyl sebacate is metabolized in the same way as fats. In humans, direct eye contact and prolonged or repeated contact with the skin may cause very mild irritation. Acute animal toxicity tests and long-term animal feeding studies have shown no serious adverse effects to be associated with orally administered dibutyl sebacate.
LD50 (rat, oral): 16g/kg
- storageDibutyl sebacate should be stored in a closed container in a cool, dry location. Dibutyl sebacate is stable under the recommended storage conditions and as used in specified applications under most conditions ofuse.Asanester,dibutylsebacatemayhydrolyzeinthe presence of water at high or low pH conditions.
- IncompatibilitiesDibutyl sebacate is incompatible with strong oxidizing materials and strong alkalis.
- Regulatory StatusIncluded in the FDA Inactive Ingredients Database (oral capsules, granules, film-coated, sustained action, and tablets). Included in the Canadian List of Acceptable Non-medicinal Ingredients.
Dibutyl sebacate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Diethyl sebacate PARAROSANILINE HYDROCHLORIDE ETHYLATED HEXAMETHYL PARAROSANILINE Dibutyl sebacate (DBS) GOST 87 28 PARAROSANILINE SOLUTION Pararosaniline (Feulgen) Dibutyl Sebacate(DBS) PARAROSANILINE,PARAROSANILINE BASE,PARAROSANILINE FREE BASE (C.I. 42500) SCHIFF'S REAGENT PARAROSANILINE CHLORIDE DIBUTYL SEBACATE SOLUTION 5000UG/ML IN METHYLENE CHLORIDE 5X1ML DIDECYL SEBACATE Bis-(1-octyloxy-2,2,6,6-tetramethyl-4-piperidinyl) sebacate DINONYL SEBACATE dioctyl succinate Poly(maleicanhydride-acrylicacidcopolymer) DI-ISO-OCTYL SEBACATE DITRIDECYL SEBACATE Decanedihydrazide
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Company Name:BeiJing Hwrk Chemicals Limted
- Tel:18516978288 0757-86329057-