METHYLCYCLOHEXANOL Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-49.9°C
- Boiling point:171-173 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.92 g/mL at 20 °C(lit.)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:68°C
- form Colorless viscous liquid that usually exists as a mixture of isomers in which the meta and para forms predominate.
- Exposure limitsTWA-TWA 235 mg/m3 (50 ppm) (ACGIH), 470 mg/m3 (100 ppm) (NIOSH); IDLH 10,000 ppm (NIOSH).
- EPA Substance Registry SystemMethylcyclohexanol (25639-42-3)
METHYLCYCLOHEXANOL Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesColorless, viscous liquid; aromaticmenthol-like odor. Combustible.
- Chemical Properties2-Methylcyclohexanol is a straw-colored liquid. Weak, menthol-like odor. The odor threshold is 490 ppm. (higher than the OEL).
- UsesMethylcyclohexanol is used as a blendingagent in textile soaps as an antioxidant inlubricants, and as a solvent for lacquers.
- UsesSolvent for lacquers; blending agent in textile soaps; antioxidant in lubricants
- UsesSolvent for cellulose esters and ethers and forlacquers, antioxidant for lubricants, blending agentfor special textile soaps and detergents.
- Production MethodsMethylcyclohexanol is produced by hydrogenating m- and p-cresols. Methylcyclohexanol can exist as three separate isomers, ortho, meta, and para, or as a mixture of isomers. The commercial product consists essentially of the meta and para isomers. Methylcyclohexanol is used as a solvent in lacquers, a blending agent in textile soaps, and an antioxidant in lubricants. In addition, methylcyclohexanol dissolves gums, oils, resins, and waxes.
- General DescriptionColorless viscous liquids with a menthol-like odor. Less dense than water. Flash point 136°F. Vapors heavier than air. May be toxic by ingestion. Used as a solvent and to make soaps and detergents.
- Air & Water ReactionsFlammable. Soluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileMETHYLCYCLOHEXANOL is incompatible with the following: Strong oxidizers .
- HazardToxic by ingestion. Eye and upper respira-tory tract irritant.
- Health HazardMay cause toxic effects if inhaled or absorbed through skin. Inhalation or contact with material may irritate or burn skin and eyes. Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution.
- Health HazardMethylcyclohexanol is mildly toxic. Inhalationmay produce mild irritation of the eyesand the respiratory system, and headache.Studies in rabbits showed that this compoundcould cause rapid narcosis and convulsion atsublethal doses. The minimum lethal dose byoral administration was 2000 mg/kg. Severeexposure may produce narcosis in humans.Skin absorption may cause dermatitis.
- Fire HazardHIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames. Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Containers may explode when heated. Many liquids are lighter than water.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by ingestion and subcutaneous routes. Mildly toxic by skin contact. Human system effects by inhalation: antipsychotic, unspecified liver and kidney effects. Combustible when exposed to heat, flame, or oxidizers. On heating it emits acrid fumes; can react with oxidizing materials. To fight fire, use alcohol foam, CO2, dry chemical.
- Potential ExposureMethylcyclohexanol is used as a lacquer solvent; as a blending agent in textile soaps and as an antioxidant in lubricants.
- ShippingUN2617 Methylhexylhexanone, flammable, Hazard Class: 3; Labels: 3-Flammable liquid.
- IncompatibilitiesVapors may form explosive mixture with air. Incompatible with oxidizers (chlorates, nitrates, peroxides, permanganates, perchlorates, chlorine, bromine, fluorine, etc.); contact may cause fires or explosions. Keep away from alkaline materials, strong bases, strong acids, oxoacids, epoxides. Attacks some plastics, rubber, and coatings.
- Waste DisposalDissolve or mix the material with a combustible solvent and burn in a chemical incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber. All federal, state, and local environmental regulations must be observed
- 3-[(1R,4S,4β)-1,7,7-Trimethylbicyclo[2.2.1]heptan-2β-yl]-1-methylcyclohexanol rac-(1R*,2S*)-2-Methylcyclohexanol 4-(Diphenylmethylene)-2-ethyl-3-methylcyclohexanol acetate COBALT ETHYLENE DIAMINE CHLORIDE Ethyl isocyanoacetate TRIS(2,2,6,6-TETRAMETHYL-3,5-HEPTANEDIONATO)EUROPIUM(III) Tosylmethyl isocyanide 2,4-PENTANEDIONE, SILVER DERIVATIVE TRIS(2,2,6,6-TETRAMETHYL-3,5-HEPTANEDIONATO)DYSPROSIUM(III) Tris(2,4-pentanedionato)chroMiuM(III) Aluminum acetylacetonate Ferric acetylacetonate Cupric acetylacetonate BENZYL ISOCYANIDE TERT-BUTYL ISOCYANIDE COBALT(II) ACETYLACETONATE N-BUTYLISOCYANIDE METHYL ISOCYANOACETATE
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009-
- Company Name:Shanghai Hanhong Scientific Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:021-54302127 021-54306202-
- Company Name:BEST-REAGENT
- Tel:18981987031 400-1166-196