Thioridazine Chemical Properties
- Melting point:72-74°
- Boiling point:bp0.02 230°
- Density 1.1693 (rough estimate)
- refractive index 1.5800 (estimate)
- Flash point:9℃
- storage temp. ?20°C
- solubility Practically insoluble in water, very soluble in methylene chloride, freely soluble in methanol, soluble in ethanol (96 per cent).
- form neat
- pka9.5(at 25℃)
- Water Solubility 1.113mg/L(22.5 ºC)
- NIST Chemistry Reference10H-Phenothiazine, 10-[2-(1-methyl-2-piperidyl)ethyl]-2-methylthio-(50-52-2)
Thioridazine Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesColorless crystals. Soluble in water and alcohol.
- UsesIn terms of antipsychotic activity, thioridazine is inferior to aminazine. It is most effective in mental and emotional disorders accompanied by fear, stress, and excitement. It is prescribed for various forms of schizophrenia, psychosis, and neurosis.
- DefinitionChEBI: A phenothiazine derivative having a methylsulfanyl subsitituent at the 2-position and a (1-methylpiperidin-2-yl)ethyl] group at the N-10 position.
- Manufacturing ProcessN-(m-methylmercapto-phenyl)-aniline (MP 59° to 61°C) is prepared by
condensing m-methylmercapto-aniline (BP 163° to 165°C/16 mm Hg) with the
potassium salt of o-chloro-benzoic acid and decarboxylating the resultant N-
(m-methylmercapto-phenyl)-anthranilic acid (MP 139° to 141°C) by heating,
and then distilling.
9.87 parts of N-(m-methylmercapto-phenyl)-aniline are heated with 2.93 parts of sulfur and 0.15 part of powdered iodine for 15 minutes in a bath at about 160°C. Upon termination of the ensuing evolution of hydrogen sulfide, animal charcoal is added to the reaction mixture and recrystallization carried out first from 40 parts by volume of chlorobenzene, and then from 25 to 30 parts by volume of benzene at the boiling temperature. The obtained citronyellow 3-methylmercapto-phenothiazine has a MP of 138° to 140°C.
17.82 parts of 2-methylmercapto-phenothiazine, 3.4 parts of finely pulverized sodamide and 80 parts by volume of absolute xylene are heated to boiling for two hours at a bath temperature of 180°C under a reflux condenser and while stirring the reaction mixture. Without interrupting the heating, a solution of 13.2 parts of 2-(N-methyl-piperidyl-2')-1chloro-ethane in 40 parts by volume of absolute xylene is then added dropwise in the course of 1 1/2 hours. After further heating for 3 hours, the reaction mixture is cooled and, after the addition of 5 parts of ammonium chloride, is shaken three times with water, using 25 parts by volume each time. The xylene solution is extracted once with 35 parts by volume of 3 normal acetic acid and then three times, each time with 15 parts by volume of the said acid, after which the acetic acid extract is washed with 60 parts by volume of ether and is then made phenolphthalein-alkaline by means of 25 parts by volume of concentrated aqueous caustic soda solution.
The precipitated oily base is taken up in a total of 100 parts by volume of benzene. The benzene layer, dried over potassium carbonate, is filtered and then evaporated under reduced pressure. The residue from the evaporation is distilled in a high vacuum; after separating a preliminary distillate which passes over up to 228°C under a pressure of 0.92 mm Hg, the principal fraction, 2-methylmercapto-10-[2'-(N-methyl-piperidyl-2'')-ethyl- 1']phenothiazine, which distills over at 228° to 232°C under the lastmentioned pressure, is collected. The analytically pure base has a BP of 230°C/0.02 mm Hg.
- Therapeutic FunctionTranquilizer
- Chemical SynthesisThioridazine, 10-[2-(1-methyl-2-piperidyl)ethyl]-2-(methylthio)phenothiazine (6.1.9), is synthesized in an analogous manner by alkylating 2-methylthiophenothiazine with 2-(2-chloroethyl)-1-methylpiperidine [29,30].
- Voriconazole Mesoridazine Besylate mesoridazine THIORIDAZINE HYDROCHLORIDE sulforidazine Thioridazine-d3 Hydrochloride Thioridazine sulfoxide,thioridazine-5-sulfoxide Thiophanate-methyl ISOMETHIOZIN Parathion-methyl Methyl Triacetonediamine Kresoxim-methyl Methylparaben Bensulfuron methyl Methyl 2-hydroxyethyl cellulose Thioridazine chloridate,THIORIDAZINE HCL Thioridazine
- Company Name:Nanjing Chemlin Chemical Co., Ltd
- Company Name:Shanghai Hanhong Scientific Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:021-54306202 021-54306202-
- Company Name:Sinopharm Chemical Reagent Co,Ltd.
- Company Name:Hangzhou Yuhao Chemical Technology Co., Ltd
- Company Name:BOC Sciences