ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal halide and Halogen salt > Metal chlorides and salt > Zirconium oxychloride
Zirconium oxychloride Chemical Properties
- Melting point:−15 °C
- Density 1.344 g/mL at 25 °C
- form Liquid
- color Clear colorless
- Merck 13,10237
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, water, moisture, alkali metals.
- CAS DataBase Reference7699-43-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemZirconium, dichlorooxo- (7699-43-6)
- Language:EnglishProvider:Zirconyl chloride
Zirconium oxychloride Usage And Synthesis
- Physical PropertiesThe octahydrate is a white silky solid; tetragonal crystals consisting of tetramers; effloresces; refractive index 1.552; loses six water molecules at 150°C; becomes anhydrous at 210°C; decomposes at 400°C; soluble in water; aqueous solution acidic; also soluble in alcohol and ether; slightly soluble in hydrochloric acid.
- UsesZirconyl chloride is used to make pigment toners and improve properties of color lakes of acid and basic dyes. Also, it is used to prepare body deodorants and antiperspirant, water repellant, dye precipitant, catalysts, and many zirconium compounds.
- PreparationThe compound is prepared by dissolving zirconium tetrachloride, ZrCl4, or sodium zirconate, Na4ZrO4, in hydrochloric acid solution followed by evaporation to obtain crystals of octahydrate.
Also, the compound can be prepared by reacting zirconium tetrachloride with chlorine oxide:
ZrCl4 + Cl2O → ZrOCl2 + 2Cl2
- ToxicityModerately toxic by ingestion, intraperitoneal and subcutaneous routes.
LD50 (intraperitioneal) (rat): 400mg/kg
- Chemical PropertiesZirconium oxychloride exists as white silky crystals, soluble in water and alcohol. With water, the octahydrate is formed as tetragonal white needles. It is extremely hygroscopic and decomposes to zirconium tetrachloride (ZrCl4) and zirconium oxide (ZrO2) at 250 C. It is also formed as the octahydrate [13520-92-8] as white, tetrahedral crystals that are very soluble in water, ethyl alcohol, ether, and methanol, among others, but only slightly soluble in hydrochloric acid. When heated to decomposition, it emits toxic fumes of hydrogen chloride.
- UsesTextile, cosmetic and grease additive, antiperspirant, water repellents, chemical reagent, zirconium salts, in lakes and toners of acidic and basic dyes, oil-field acidizing aid.
- Reactivity ProfileAcidic salts, such as Zirconium oxychloride, are generally soluble in water. The resulting solutions contain moderate concentrations of hydrogen ions and have pH's of less than 7.0. They react as acids to neutralize bases. These neutralizations generate heat, but less or far less than is generated by neutralization of inorganic acids, inorganic oxoacids, and carboxylic acid. They usually do not react as either oxidizing agents or reducing agents but such behavior is not impossible. Many of these compounds catalyze organic reactions.
- Health HazardHas only a mild pharmacological action. Inhalation of dust may irritate nose and throat. Contact with eyes or skin causes irritation.
- Safety ProfilePoison by intraperitoneal route. Moderately toxic by ingestion and subcutaneous routes. Questionable carcinogen with experimental neoplastigenic data. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of Cl-. Used as an antiperspirant. See also ZIRCONIUM COMPOUNDS and CHLORIDES.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise it repeatedly from 8M HCl to give ZrOCl2.8H2O (see below). On drying, ZrOCl2.6H2O, m 150o, is formed. The product is not free from hafnium. [Blumenthal J Chem Ed 39 607 1962.]
Zirconium oxychloride Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Magnesium Zirconium dioxide Acetyl chloride Calcium chloride ETHYLENE OXIDE Zirconium ZIRCONIUMDICHLORIDE Cobalt chloride Zirconium tetrachloride Choline chloride Methylene Chloride Boron oxide Benzyl chloride Zinc oxide Phosphorus oxychloride CHLORIDE STANDARD (Diethoxymethyl)diphenylphosphine oxide Sodium chloride
- Company Name:Secco work (Beijing) chemical technology co., LTD
- Company Name:Chengdu XiYa Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:China Langchem Inc.
- Company Name:Tianjin heowns Biochemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400 638 7771
- Company Name:Chengdu Ai Keda Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:4008-755-333 028-85911938-