ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > Esters > Methyl ester compound > METHYL LAURATE
METHYL LAURATE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:4-5 °C (lit.)
- Boiling point:262 °C/766 mmHg (lit.)
- Density 0.87 g/mL at 25 °C (lit.)
- FEMA 2715 | METHYL LAURATE
- refractive index n
- Flash point:>230 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility water: insoluble0.00759g/L at 25°C (practically)
- form Liquid
- color Clear colorless to slightly yellow
- Water Solubility Not miscible in water. Soluble in alcohol, dipropylene glycol.
- JECFA Number180
- BRN 1767780
- CAS DataBase Reference111-82-0(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemMethyl laurate (111-82-0)
METHYL LAURATE Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionMethyl laurate has a fatty, floral odor reminiscent of wine. It can be used as a flavor ingredient in foods and pharmaceuticals, and as fragrance in perfumes. As an intermediate, methyl laurate is used for detergents, emulsifier, wetting agents, stabilizers, lubricants, plasticizers, textiles, plastics, and cosmetics. It can also be used as lubricant in textile spin finishes and emollient in cosmetics. It can be used as solvent, co-solvent, oil carrier for agric, pesticides and herbicides. It is also used as defoamer in food-contact coatings and paper/paperboards and it is used in resin-bonded filters for food contact.
- References Michael Ash, Handbook of Green Chemicals, 2004
 George A. Burdock, Encyclopedia of Food and Color Additives, Volume 1, 1996
- DescriptionMethyl laurate has a fatty, floral odor reminiscent of wine. May be prepared by prolonged boiling of lauric acid with methanol in the presence of sulfuric acid. Methyl Laurate is a flavour ketone produced in a reaction biocatalyzed by microencapsulated fungal spores. Also used in production of biodiesel.
- Chemical Propertiesclear colorless to slightly yellow liquid
- Chemical PropertiesMethyl laurate has a fatty, floral odor reminiscent of wine.
- OccurrenceReported found in orris absolute, strawberry, apple, bilberry, rum, coconut, grapes, melon, papaya, pineapple, blackberry, mustard, cheeses, hop oil, cognac, white wine, cocoa, oats, plumcot, elderberry juice, loquat, babaco fruit (Carica pentagona Heilborn), Bourbon vanilla, mountain papaya, Chinese cabbage, mussels, cape gooseberry, pawpaw, banana, berries and blue cheese
- DefinitionChEBI: A fatty acid methyl ester of lauric acid.
- Taste threshold valuesTaste characteristics at 20 ppm: waxy, creamy, fatty with soapy, coconut nuances
- Synthesis Reference(s)The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 54, p. 1213, 1989 DOI: 10.1021/jo00266a046
Synthetic Communications, 9, p. 539, 1979 DOI: 10.1080/00397917908060958
- Purification MethodsPass the ester through alumina before use, and distil it in a vacuum. [Beilstein 2 IV 1090.]
METHYL LAURATE Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Polyoxyethylene laurate (LAE-9) ISOPROPYL LAURATE Ethyl laurate MONOLAURIN POTASSIUM LAURATE Palmitic anhydride CHOLESTERYL STEARATE Span 60 Isopropyl palmitate Span 20 Cholesteryl palmitate METHYL TRIDECANOATE DIMETHYL BRASSYLATE Ascorbyl Palmitate TRIPALMITIN METHYL MYRISTATE Methyl palmitate METHYL HEPTADECANOATE
- Company Name:Shanghai Dingfen Chemical Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:02157450129 021-37590756-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:future industrial shanghai co., ltd
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar