ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal halide and Halogen salt > Metal fluoride and salt > Potassium fluorosilicate
Potassium fluorosilicate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:°Cd ec.)
- Boiling point:dec
- Density 2.665 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- refractive index 1.3991
- form Powder
- Specific Gravity2.665
- color White
- Water Solubility Slightly soluble in water.
- Sensitive Moisture Sensitive
- Hydrolytic Sensitivity0: forms stable aqueous solutions
- Merck 14,7638
- Solubility Product Constant (Ksp)pKsp: 6.06
- CAS DataBase Reference16871-90-2(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemSilicate(2-), hexafluoro-, dipotassium (16871-90-2)
Potassium fluorosilicate Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionAs a type of fluorosilicate, potassium fluorosilicate can be used as fluoridizing agents for water supplies, in the production of synthetic cryolite, and in metal plating. Potassium fluorosilicate can be used as oral care ingredient, as a fluxing ingredient in porcelain enamels, and as wood preservative elements. Potassium fluorosilicate can also be used for the manufacture of ceramic materials and optical glasses.
- References W. John Williams, Handbook of Anion Determination, 1979
 Ruth Winter, A Consumer's Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients, 7th Edition, 2009
 B. A. Richardson, Wood Preservation, 2nd Edition, 1993
 Werner Vogel, Glass Chemistry, 2nd Edition, 1994
- Chemical PropertiesWhite, odorless, crystalline powder. D 3.0. Slightly soluble in water; soluble in hydrochlo- ric acid.
- UsesIn the manufacture of opalescent glass, in porcelain enamels, in insecticides. Also used in aluminum metallurgy.
- General DescriptionA white, odorless crystalline powder. Denser than water. Contact may cause irritation to skin, eyes, and mucous membranes. May be toxic by ingestion. Used to make other chemicals.
- Air & Water ReactionsSlightly soluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfilePotassium fluorosilicate has weak oxidizing or reducing powers. Redox reactions can however still occur. The majority of compounds in this class are slightly soluble or insoluble in water. If soluble in water, then the solutions are usually neither strongly acidic nor strongly basic. These compounds are not water-reactive.
- HazardToxic by ingestion and inhalation, strong irritant to tissue.
- Health HazardHighly toxic, may be fatal if inhaled, swallowed or absorbed through skin. Avoid any skin contact. Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed. Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may be corrosive and/or toxic and cause pollution.
- Fire HazardNon-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes. Containers may explode when heated. Runoff may pollute waterways.
- Industrial usesPotassium fluorosilicate is a white to yellowish powder, poorly soluble in water (0.68% at 20 °C). Because of its poor solubility, it is not commonly used as a modifying reagent.
- Safety ProfileA poison by ingestion and subcutaneous routes. Ingestion can cause vomiting and dtarrhea. A strong irritant. Incompatible with hydrofluoric acid. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of SiF4, K3SiF7, and KF.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise it several times from conductivity water (100mL/g) between 100o and 0o.
Potassium fluorosilicate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Potassium chloride Sodium fluorosilicate Potassium fluorosilicate Potassium Citrate Magnesium hexafluorosilicate hexahydrate Potassium silicate Potassium bromate Hexafluorosilicic acid Potassium Potassium lactate Potassium persulfate Potassium nitrate Fluorine MAGNESIUM POTASSIUM FLUOROSILICATE TRIFLUOROSILANE Fluorosilicate Seractide Zinc silicofluoride
Potassium fluorosilicate SupplierMore
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009-
- Company Name:Shanghai Mintchem Development Co., Ltd
- Tel:021 6845 0923