ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Balance > Electrolyte Balance Pharmacology > Calcitonin
Calcitonin Chemical Properties
- storage temp. −20°C
- solubility 0.05 M acetic acid: 1 mg/mL, clear, colorless
- form powder
Calcitonin Usage And Synthesis
- Application in Particular DiseasesIn Osteoporosis:
- Calcitonin is released from the thyroid gland when serum calcium is elevated. Salmon calcitonin is used clinically because it is more potent and longer lasting than the mammalian form. Calcitonin is reserved as a third-line agent because efficacy is less robust than with the other antiresorptive therapies.
- Calcitonin is indicated for osteoporosis treatment for women at least 5 years past menopause. Although limited data suggest beneficial effects in men and concomitantly with glucocorticoids, these indications are not FDA approved.
- Only vertebral fractures have been documented to decrease with intranasal calcitonin therapy. Calcitonin does not consistently affect hip BMD and does not decrease hip fracture risk.
- Calcitonin may provide pain relief to some patients with acute vertebral fractures. If used, it should be prescribed for short-term treatment (4 weeks) and should not be used in place of other more effective and less expensive analgesics, nor should it preclude the use of more appropriate osteoporosis therapy.
- The intranasal dose is 200 units daily, alternating nares every other day. Subcutaneous administration of 100 units daily is available but rarely used because of adverse effects and cost.
- Chemical PropertiesCalcitonin is a single-chain polypeptide composed of 32 amino acid residues having a molecular weight of approximately 3600. A cysteine disulfide bridge at the 1-7 position of the amino terminal end of the peptide is essential for biological activity; however, the entire amino acid sequence is required for optimal activity.
- UsesRegulator (calcium).
- IndicationsCalcitonin (Miacalcin, Miacalcin Nasal Spray) is a synthetic 32–amino acid polypeptide that is identical to salmon calcitonin. Salmon calcitonin is more potent than human calcitonin because of its higher affinity for the human calcitonin receptor and its slower metabolic clearance. Administration is by subcutaneous or intramuscular injection or by nasal spray. The absorption of the nasal form is slower than that of the parenteral routes.
- IndicationsCalcitonin release is normally stimulated by rising serum calcium levels and suppressed by hypocalcemia. The major physiological effects of calcitonin are inhibition of bone resorption and deposition of postabsorptive calcium into bone following a meal, which prevents postprandial hypercalcemia.
- brand nameCalcimar (Rhone- Poulenc Rorer);.
- BiosynthesisThe regulation of calcitonin synthesis and release from
the parafollicular C cells of the thyroid gland is calcium
dependent. Rising serum calcium is the principal
stimulus responsible for calcitonin synthesis and release.
Other hormones, such as glucagon, gastrin, and
serotonin, also stimulate calcitonin release. Calcitonin
has been isolated in tissues other than the parafollicular
C cells (parathyroid, pancreas, thymus, adrenal),
but it is not known whether this material is biologically
Secretagogues, such as gastrin and pancreozymin, may contribute significantly to the regulation of endogenous calcitonin. In fact, it has been postulated that gastrin-induced calcitonin release following meals may help regulate the postprandial calcium deposition in bone.
A calcitonin precursor has been identified within the thyroid parafollicular C cells. It is thought to function in a manner analogous to that of proPTH to facilitate intracellular transport and secretion of the hormone. The metabolic degradation of calcitonin appears to occur in both the liver and kidney.
Although blood calcitonin levels are normally low, excessive levels have been found in association with medullary carcinoma of the thyroid and more rarely carcinoid tumors of the bronchus and stomach. Serum calcitonin levels are used to screen and monitor patients who have or are suspected of having medullary carcinoma of the thyroid.
- General DescriptionCalcitonin (thyrocalcitonin) is a 32-amino-acid polypeptidehormone secreted by parafollicular cells of the thyroidglands in response to hypocalcemia. The entire 32-residuepeptide appears to be required for activity, because smallerfragments are totally inactive. Common structural featuresof calcitonin isolated from different species are a COOHterminalprolinamide, a disulfide bond between residues 1and 7 at the NH2 terminus, and a chain length of 32 residues.Calcitonin inhibits calcium resorption from bone, causinghypocalcemia, with parallel changes in plasma phosphateconcentration. In general, calcitonin negates the osteolyticeffects of parathyroid hormone.
The potential therapeutic uses of calcitonin are in thetreatment of hyperparathyroidism, osteoporosis and otherbone disorders, hypercalcemia of malignancy, and idiopathichypercalcemia.
- Mechanism of actionCalcitonin interacts with specific plasma membrane receptors within target organs to initiate biological effects. This interaction has been directly linked to the generation of cAMP via adenylyl cyclase activation.
Calcitonin Preparation Products And Raw materials
- (TYR27)-ALPHA-CALCITONIN GENE-RELATED PEPTIDE (27-37) (RAT) [TYR0, CYS (ET)2,7]ALPHA-CALCITONIN GENE RELATED PEPTIDE, HUMAN TYR-ALPHA-CALCITONIN GENE-RELATED PEPTIDE (HUMAN) ANTI-CALCITONIN DEVELOPED IN RABBIT WH CALCITONIN, RAT MONOCLONAL ANTI-CALCITONIN GENE-RELATED CT （Calcitonin ) Calcitonin Gene Related Peptide (β-CGRP), Rabbit anti-Human, RIA Calcitonin Gene Related Peptide, alpha (CGRPa) (human) Calcitonin C-terminal Flanking Peptide, Rabbit anti-Human, IF Kit CALCITONIN GENE RELATED PEPTIDE POLYCLONAL ANTIBODY CARBACALCITONIN Calcitonin (100 tests) OXYTOCIN/DESMOPRESSIN VALIDATION MIXTURE Calcitonin C-terminal Flanking Peptide, Rabbit anti-Human, RIA ([125I]-TYR)-CALCITONIN N-TERMINAL FLANKING PEPTIDE (HUMAN) Calcitonin CALCITONIN SALMON 250 UG,Salmon Calcitonin Acetate
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:GL Biochem (Shanghai) Ltd
- Tel:86-21-61263452 (tel), 86-13641803416（mobile）
- Company Name:Wuhan Fortuna Chemical Co., Ltd
- Tel:13308628970 027-59207852-
- Company Name:Beijing HuaMeiHuLiBiological Chemical
- Company Name:Hubei XinyuanShun Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Tel:13971561712 / 13995564702 / 027-50664929