Calcitonin Salmon is a polypeptide hormone secreted by the ultimobranchial gland of salmon. It belongs to the calcitonin-like protein family and can be used to treat Paget's disease of bone, postmenopausal osteoporosis(fragile or brittle bones), or high levels of calcium in the blood (hypercalcemia). It appears to have actions essentially identical to calcitonins of mammalian origin, but its potency per mg is greater and it has a longer duration of action.
- Density 1.54±0.1 g/cm3(Predicted)
- storage temp. −20°C
- solubility 0.05 M acetic acid: 1 mg/mL, clear, colorless
- form powder
- Water Solubility Soluble in water at 1mg/ml
- Merck 13,1642
- CAS DataBase Reference47931-85-1(CAS DataBase Reference)
- DescriptionCalcitonin Salmon is a polypeptide hormone secreted by the ultimobranchial gland of salmon. It belongs to the calcitonin-like protein family and can be used to treat Paget's disease of bone, postmenopausal osteoporosis(fragile or brittle bones), or high levels of calcium in the blood (hypercalcemia). It appears to have actions essentially identical to calcitonins of mammalian origin, but its potency per mg is greater and it has a longer duration of action. It works mainly by Inhibiting osteoclastic bone resorption, decreasing serum calcium, and increasing renal excretion of phosphate, calcium, sodium magnesium and potassium by decreasing tubular reabsorption.
- SequenceH-Cys-Ser-Asn-Leu-Ser-Thr-Cys-Val-Leu-Gly-Lys-Leu-Ser-Gln-Glu-Leu-His-Lys-Leu-Gln-Thr-Tyr-Pro-Arg-Thr-Asn-Thr-Gly-Ser-Gly-Thr-Pro-NH2 acetate salt (Disulfide bond)
- Biological ActivityHypocalcemic hormone produced by the parafollicular C cells of the thyroid or by the ultimobranchial bodies of nonmammalian vertebrates. Decreases blood calcium and phosphate due to inhibition of resorption by osteoblasts and osteocytes.
Calcitonin also refers as thyrocalcitonin is a 32 amino acid peptide hormone, which is present abundantly in seminal plasma compare to serum. It acts as a first messenger and hence regulate the the production of cAMP as well as mammalian sperm function. It may also facilitate the regulation of different isoforms of adenylyl cyclase. Additionally, salmon calcitonin stimulates the bone formation and inhibits the bone resorption in postmenopausal osteoporotic women.
- Active SubstanceIn humans, salmon calcitonin is more active than its human analog.
Calcitonin (salmon) positively influences bone remodelling and bone mass density due to its inhibiting effect on osteoclast activity. The beneficial effect of salmon calcitonin in the treatment of osteoporotic bone fractures is also due to the promotion of the cartilaginous phase of fracture healing and to pain relief.[www.bachem.com]
- Application1. Calcitonin salmon can be used for calcitonin receptor/cAMP assay for assessing the presence of calcitonin receptors expressed by TRAP+ cells.The product can also be used as a test compound for studying as well as comparing the impact of calcitonin gene related peptide (CGRP) and salmon calcitonin (sCT) on gastric mucosal barrier in rats exposed to cold + restraint stress (CRS). [sigma-aldrich]
2. Calcitonin, Salmon is a calcium regulating hormone secreted from mammalian thyroid parafollicular cells and in non-mammalian species from the ultimobranchial gland. Calcitonins are single chain polypeptides containing 32 amino-acid residues, showing hypocalcaemic and hypophosphatemic action, with amino-acid structure differing amongst mammalian species. Salmon calcitonin (salcatonin is the synthetic analogue) shows a markedly different sequence to that of the higher vertebrates as well as more potent activity. Eel calcitonin (Elcatonin) possesses a similar amino acid to that of the salmon form but is more stable than natural calcitonins because of the absence of disulfide bridges. [Santa Cruz Biotechnology]
3. It shows hypocalcaemic and hypophosphatemic action, with amino-acid structure differing amongst mammalian species. Salmon calcitonin (salcatonin is the synthetic analogue) shows a markedly different sequence to that of the higher vertebrates as well as more potent activity. It decreases blood calcium and phosphate due to inhibition of resorption by osteoblasts and osteocytes. [alfa-aesar]
4. Calcium-regulating peptide hormone released from the thyroid. Lowers calcium concentration in the blood and decreases bone resorption by osteoclasts. Used for therapeutic applications in osteoporosis. Salmon calcitonin peptide sequence differs from mammalian but is more potent.[Enzo Life Sciences, Inc.]
- IndicationCalcitonin Salmon Can Used in the treatment of symptomatic Paget's disease for patients unresponsive to alternate treatments or intolerant to such treatments. In addition, it is used in emergency situations when serum calcium levels must be decreased quickly until the underlying condition is identified. It can also be added to existing therapeutic regimens for hypercalcemia such as intravenous fluids and furosemide, oral phosphate or corticosteroids, or other agents. Calcitonin can be used in patients with azotemia and cases where intravenous fluids would be contraindicated due to limited cardiac reserves. Also for the treatment of post-menopausal osteoporosis in women more than 5 years post-menopause.
- PharmacodynamicsCalcitonin inhibits bone resorption by osteoclasts (bone remodeling cells) and promotes bone formation by osteoblasts. This leads to a net increase in bone mass and a reduction in plasma calcium levels. It also promotes the renal excretion of ions such as calcium, phosphate, sodium, magnesium, and potassium by decreasing tubular reabsorption. In consequence, there is an increase in the jejunal secretion of water, sodium, potassium, and chloride.
- Mechanism of actionCalcitonin binds to the calcitonin receptor (found primarily in osteoclasts) which then enhances the production of vitamin D producing enzymes (25-hydroxyvitamine D-24-hydroxylase), leading to greater calcium retention and enhanced bone density. Binding of calcitonin to its receptor also activates adenylyl cyclase and the phosphatidyl-inositol-calcium pathway.
- DescriptionCalcitonin is a single-chain polypeptide consisting of 32 amino acid residues. Calcitonins as obtained from different species are identical at seven of the first nine residues, contain Gly at position 28, and all terminate with Pro-NH2. The C-terminal proline amide (ProNH2) is very important for the biological function of CT, as is the disulfide bridge between Cys residues at positions 1 and 7. In contrast, the residues from 10 through 27 can be varied and seem to influence CT's potency as well as its duration of action. Salmon CT differs from human CT at 16 amino acid residues.
- Chemical PropertiesWhite or almost white powder.
- UsesOsteoporosis;Hypercalcemia; Paget’s disease ; Reflex sympathetic dystrophy (algodistrophy or Sudeck’s disease)
- brand nameCalcimar (Rhone- Poulenc Rorer);.
- Clinical UseOnly salmon CT is commercially available for medical use, because on a weight basis, it is approximately 45-fold more potent than human CT. Salmon CT, in parenteral form, is approved for treating Paget's disease of bone (generally seen in older persons; involves increased bone resorption and softening of bones), postmenopausal osteoporosis, and hypercalcemia of malignancy (multiple myeloma or advanced breast carcinoma). Salmon CT also is available in a nasal spray formulation, which is used exclusively in the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis.
- Veterinary Drugs and TreatmentsIn small animals, calcitonin has been used as adjunctive therapy to control hypercalcemia. Its use has been limited by expense, availability and resistance development to its effects after several days of treatment.
- Gonadorelin acetate THYROCALCITONIN RAT Calcitonin M, human C carcinoma, Calcitonin, human reduced cyclic (1-7)-disulfide, hCT, Thyrocalcitonin,THYROCALCITONIN HUMAN Thyrocalcitonin trihydrochloride【human】 THYROCALCITONIN 27-32 THYROCALCITONIN EEL Thyrocalcitonin【salmon reduced】 THYROCALCITONIN 23-32 THYROCALCITONIN TCA POWDER FROM BOVINE*THYROID GLAND,thyrocalcitonin tca THYROCALCITONIN 30-32 THYROCALCITONIN PORCINE,alpha-thyrocalcitonin(porcine (3-[125I]IODOTYROSYL22)CALCITONIN, SALMON CALCITONIN (8-32) (SALMON I) SMOKEDSALMON THYROCALCITONIN SALMON Elcatonin Oils, salmon Calcitonin salmon
- Company Name:Shanghai EFE Biological Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Products Intro:Product Name:Calcitonin (salmon)
- Company Name:Shanghai Boyle Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Products Intro:Product Name:Calcitonin salmon
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Calcitonin (salMon) xAcetate
- Company Name:INTATRADE GmbH
- Tel:+49 3493/605464
- Products Intro:Product Name:Salcatonin Acetate
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Products Intro:Product Name:Calcitonin (salMon)
Purity:99% HPLC Package:1Mg ; 5Mg;10Mg ;100Mg;250Mg ;500Mg ;1g;2.5g ;5g ;10g