ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Hydrocarbons and derivatives > Aromatic hydrocarbons > METHYLSTYRENE
METHYLSTYRENE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-77 °C
- Boiling point:169-172 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.896 g/mL at 20 °C
- refractive index n
- Flash point:127 °F
- storage temp. Refrigerator
- form Colorless liquid
- BRN 1209317
- Stability:Stable. Flammable. Incompatible with oxidizing agents, peroxides, strong acids, aluminium chloride. May contain small amounts of t-butylcatechol to inhibit polymerization.
- CAS DataBase Reference25013-15-4
- IARC3 (Vol. 60) 1994
- EPA Substance Registry SystemVinyltoluene (25013-15-4)
METHYLSTYRENE Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesColourless liquid with a strong and unpleasant odour. Very slightly soluble in water; soluble in methanol, ether. Combustible.
- Chemical PropertiesVinyl toluene is a colorless liquid. Strong disagreeable odor. It consists of mixed meta-and para-isomers. The odor threshold is 50 ppm.
- UsesSolvent, intermediate.
- UsesAs a reactive monomer in the production of polymers and coatings.
- General DescriptionA clear colorless liquid with an aromatic odor. Flash point 130°F. Density 7.5 lb /gal. Insoluble in water. May polymerize exothermically if heated or contaminated. If polymerization takes place inside a container, the container may rupture violently. Inhibitor is usually tert-butyl catechol. Vapors heavier than air. Used as a solvent and to make other chemicals.
- Air & Water ReactionsFlammable. Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileMETHYLSTYRENE polymerizes readily and exothermically [Handling Chemicals Safely 1980. p. 961].
- Health HazardLIQUID: Irritating to skin and eyes. Harmful if swallowed.
- Chemical ReactivityReactivity with Water No reaction; Reactivity with Common Materials: No reactions; Stability During Transport: Stable; Neutralizing Agents for Acids and Caustics: Not pertinent; Polymerization: Slow at ordinary temperatures but when hot may rupture container. Also polymerized by metal salts such as those of iron or aluminum; Inhibitor of Polymerization: Tertiary Butylcatechol (typically 10 to 50 ppm).
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by ingestion and inhalation. An experimental teratogen. Human systemic effects by inhalation: eye and olfactory effects. Experimental reproductive effects. Mutation data reported. A skin and eye irritant. Flammable when exposed to heat or flame; can react vigorously with oxidrzing materials. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
- Potential Exposure(mixed isomers): Vinyl toluene is used in copolymers and as specialty monomer for paint, varnish, and polyester preparations; as a solvent and an organic intermediate.
- CarcinogenicityThe IARC has determined that there is evidence suggesting the lack of carcinogenicity of vinyltoluene in experimental animals and inadequate evidence in humans.
- ShippingUN2618 Vinyltoluenes, stabilized, Hazard Class: 3; Labels: 3-Flammable liquid.
- IncompatibilitiesVapors may form explosive mixture with air. Violent reaction with oxidizers (chlorates, nitrates, peroxides, permanganates, perchlorates, chlorine, bromine, fluorine, etc.); contact may cause fires or explosions. Keep away from alkaline materials, strong bases, strong acids, oxoacids, epoxides, catalysts for vinyl polymerization, such as peroxides, strong acids; iron or aluminum salts. Usually inhibited with tert-butylcatechol to prevent polymerization.
- Waste DisposalDissolve or mix the material with a combustible solvent and burn in a chemical incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber. All federal, state, and local environmental regulations must be observed.
- 4-PHENYLCINNAMIC ACID P-DIVINYLBENZENE 85 3,3'-DITHIODIPROPIONIC ACID DIOCTADECYL ESTER DIVINYLBENZENE 4-Vinylbenzoic acid 2,4,6-TRIMETHYLSTYRENE 1-(2-HYDROXYPHENYL)-3-(4-ISOPROPYLPHENYL)PROP-2-EN-1-ONE HYDROXYMETHYLSTYRENE 1,4-BIS(2-METHYLSTYRYL)BENZENE 4-CHLOROMETHYLSTILBENE 7-METHYLCOUMARIN T-BUTYL STYRENE 4-VINYLBIPHENYL 4-PHENYLENEDIACRYLIC ACID 4-(Trifluoromethyl)cinnamic acid TRANS-4,4'-DIPHENYLSTILBENE DIVINYLBENZENE MONOMER TRANS-4-STILBENEMETHANOL 2,4-DIMETHYLSTYRENE
- Company Name:Beyond IndustriesChina Limited Gold
- Tel:18721906063 021-62570235
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009
- Company Name:Adamas Reagent, Ltd.