ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Aldehydes spices > Acyclic aliphatic aldehydes > Methyl valeraldehyde
Methyl valeraldehyde Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-100℃
- Boiling point:119-120 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.808 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 3.45 (vs air)
- refractive index n
- FEMA 3413 | 2-METHYLPENTANAL
- Flash point:62 °F
- Water Solubility Soluble in water (4.2g/L at 25°C).
- Sensitive Air Sensitive
- JECFA Number260
- BRN 1739423
- CAS DataBase Reference123-15-9(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferencePentanal, 2-methyl-(123-15-9)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemPentanal, 2-methyl- (123-15-9)
- Hazard Codes F,Xi
- Risk Statements 11-36/37/38-52/53-R52/53-R36/37/38-R11
- Safety Statements 16-26-36-S36-S26-S16
- RIDADR UN 2367 3/PG 2
- WGK Germany 1
- RTECS RZ6905000
- F 9-23
- Autoignition Temperature390 °F
- TSCA Yes
- HazardClass 3
- PackingGroup II
- HS Code 29121900
- Hazardous Substances Data123-15-9(Hazardous Substances Data)
Methyl valeraldehyde Usage And Synthesis
- Description2-Methylpentanal has an ethereal, fruity odor. This may be prepared from 2-methylpentanol by catalytic oxidation.
- Chemical PropertiesColorless liquid. Soluble in water 0.42% by wt, flash p68F (20C) (OC).
- OccurrenceReported found in onion, leek, garlic, milk, roasted peanuts, wheat bread, cooked beef, cured pork, coffee, beer, tea, trassi, rice and mango.
- Uses Intermediates for dyes, resins, pharmaceuticals.
- PreparationFrom 2-methylpentanol by catalytic oxidation.
- Aroma threshold valuesDetection: 1.6 to 3.2 ppb
- Taste threshold valuesTaste characteristics at 5.0 ppm: vegetative and green with a fruity, grape-like nuance.
- Synthesis Reference(s)Synthesis, p. 717, 1985 DOI: 10.1055/s-1985-31327
- General DescriptionA colorless liquid. Less dense than water. Flash point near 50°F. Used to make rubber and artificial flavorings.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. Slightly soluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileMethyl valeraldehyde is an aldehyde. Aldehydes are frequently involved in self-condensation or polymerization reactions. These reactions are exothermic; they are often catalyzed by acid. Aldehydes are readily oxidized to give carboxylic acids. Flammable and/or toxic gases are generated by the combination of aldehydes with azo, diazo compounds, dithiocarbamates, nitrides, and strong reducing agents. Aldehydes can react with air to give first peroxo acids, and ultimately carboxylic acids. These autoxidation reactions are activated by light, catalyzed by salts of transition metals, and are autocatalytic (catalyzed by the products of the reaction). The addition of stabilizers (antioxidants) to shipments of aldehydes retards autoxidation.
- HazardFlammable, dangerous fire risk. Strong irri-tant to skin and mucous membranes.
- Health HazardMay cause toxic effects if inhaled or absorbed through skin. Inhalation or contact with material may irritate or burn skin and eyes. Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution.
- Fire HazardHIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames. Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Containers may explode when heated. Many liquids are lighter than water.
Methyl valeraldehyde Preparation Products And Raw materials
- 1-Phenylcyclopentanecarboxylic acid PINONIC ACID Methyl valeraldehyde Pirimiphos-methyl N,N-Dimethylformamide Isovaleraldehyde Valeraldehyde 2,2-Bis(hydroxymethyl)propionic acid Kresoxim-methyl Tribenuron methyl (-)-2-[METHYLAMINO]-1-PHENYLPROPANE Methyl bromide METSULFURON METHYL Methyl acetate 2,6-Lutidine Parathion-methyl Methyl salicylate Methyl
Methyl valeraldehyde SupplierMore
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Beijing Donghualituo Techonlogy Development Co.,Ltd.
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Company Name:Beijing dtftchem Technology Co., Ltd.