ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal Sulphides and sulphates > SODIUM SULFATE DECAHYDRATE
SODIUM SULFATE DECAHYDRATE
- Product Name:SODIUM SULFATE DECAHYDRATE
- Synonyms: SodiumSulphate10H2OFcc SodiumSulphate10H2OAcs SodiumSulphate10H2OBp SODIUM SULFATE 10 H2O SODIUM SULFATE, DECAHYDRATE REAGENT (ACS) Sulfuric acid disodium salt, decahydrate SODIUMSULFATE,ANHYDROUSREAGENT,ACS(BULK SODIUMSULFATE,DECAHYDRATE,USP
- Product Categories:
- Mol File:7727-73-3.mol
SODIUM SULFATE DECAHYDRATE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:32-38°C
- Density 1.46 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility H2O: 1 M at 20 °C, clear, colorless
- form Solid
- color White
- Specific Gravity1.46
- PH5.2-8.0 (50g/l, H2O, 25℃)(anhydrous substance)
- Water Solubility Soluble in water and glycerin. Insoluble in ethanol and methanol.
- λmaxλ: 260 nm Amax: ≤0.025
λ: 280 nm Amax: ≤0.021
- Merck 14,8680
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong acids, aluminium, magnesium.
- CAS DataBase Reference7727-73-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- Safety Statements 24/25
- WGK Germany 1
- TSCA Yes
- HS Code 28331900
SODIUM SULFATE DECAHYDRATE Usage And Synthesis
- OccurrenceSodium sulfate occurs in nature as the minerals mirabilite and thenardite. While thenardite is the anhydrous form of Na2SO4, mirabilite is a naturallyoccurring decahydrate, Na2SO4•10H2O.
Sodium sulfate is one of the most important sodium salts. The decahydrate,commonly known as the Glauber’s salt, was first prepared by Johann Glauber in the seventeenth century as a by-product in making hydrochloric acid from sulfuric acid and sodium chloride.
- Physical PropertiesAnhydrous sodium sulfate is a white crystalline powder; orthorhombic or hexagonal structure; hygroscopic; refractive index 1.468; hardness 2.8 Mohs; density 2.664 g/cm3; melts at 884°C; soluble in water, insoluble in ethanol.
The decahydrate consists of colorless monoclinic crystals; refractive index 1.394; hardness 1.8 Mohs; density 1.4 6g/cm3; decomposes at 32°C; soluble in water; insoluble in ethanol.
- ProductionSodium sulfate is mined from its natural mineral deposits and subjected to purification. Sodium sulfate is synthesized by the Mannheim process or Hargreaves process. Manheim’s process is based on Glauber’s reaction between sulfuric acid and sodium chloride:
2NaCl + H2SO4 → Na2SO4 + 2HCl↑
The process was devised by Johann Glauber to produce hydrochloric acid. Sodium sulfate is isolated from the solution by fractional crystallization. Hargreaves’ process also was developed to produce hydrochloric acid. It is a variation of Mannheim’s method. In this method, sulfur dioxide is used instead of sulfuric acid. The reaction is as follows:
4NaCl + 2SO2 + O2 + 2H2O → 2Na2SO4 + 4HCl↑
Sodium sulfate also is obtained as a byproduct of manufacturing phenol by caustic fusion.
- Chemical PropertiesWhite or almost white, crystalline powder or colourless, transparent crystals.
- UsesSodium sulfate decahydrate is used in manufacturing paper pulp by the Kraft Process. Other uses are in manufacturing glass and ultramarine; in dyeing and printing textiles; as a filler in synthetic detergents; and for standardizing dyes. A major use of anhydrous sodium sulfate is as an agent to remove water from organic solvents and their extracts for organic synthesis and instrumental analysis. Sodium sulfate decahydrate is a common laboratory reagent. Also, it is used to prepare other sodium salts.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise sodium sulfate from water at 30o (1.1mL/g) by cooling to 0o. It becomes anhydrous at 32o.
SODIUM SULFATE DECAHYDRATE Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsSodium sulfateSodium chloridePotassium chloride BITTERN
- Preparation ProductsSodium carbonateSodium sulfateSodium sulfideBarium sulfateSodium silicate Calcium phosphate2,6-Difluoro-4-hydroxybenzonitrileStrontium carbonate 2-EthylpiperazineTocopheryl acetateSilk softener LTanning agent,chromic2-AMINO-4,6-DIFLUOROBENZOIC ACIDChromium sulfate,basic,solidSodium bisulfate monohydratebloedite
SODIUM SULFATE DECAHYDRATESupplierMore
- Company Name:Xuzhou Sunyu Chemical Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 +86-10-82848833
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:+86-(0)21-61259100(Shanghai) +86-(0)755-86170099(ShenZhen) +86-(0)10-62670440(Beijing)
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Tel:400-610-6006; 021-67582000
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:021-58432009 / 400-005-6266