ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Ketones spices > Terpene ketone > alpha-Ionone
alpha-Ionone Chemical Properties
- Melting point:25°C
- Boiling point:259-263 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.93 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- FEMA 2594 | ALPHA-IONONE
- refractive index n
- Flash point:230 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility Soluble in ethanol fixed oils, propylene glycol. Slightly soluble in alcohol, ether, mineral oil.
- Water Solubility insoluble
- JECFA Number388
- Merck 14,5056
- BRN 2046084
- CAS DataBase Reference127-41-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference3-Buten-2-one, 4-(2,6,6-trimethyl-2-cyclohexen-1-yl)-, (E)-(127-41-3)
- EPA Substance Registry System.alpha.-Ionone (127-41-3)
alpha-Ionone Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionThe alpha-ionone is the alpha form of ionone. The ionones denote a series of chemical substances belonging to rose ketones including carotene, damascenes and damascenones. It is found in various kinds of essential oils contained in some flowers such as violet. Ionone has three forms including alpha-, beta and gamma-. The alpha-ionone has the aroma odor of violet, which has been widely used in daily chemical flavor and tobacco-used flavor. The alpha-ionone can be made from the thermal decomposition of carotene.
- ReferencesDavis, Daniel L., Kenneth L. Stevens, and Leonard Jurd. "Chemistry of tobacco constituents. Oxidation of. alpha.-ionone and the acid-catalyzed rearrangement of 5-keto-. alpha.-ionone." Journal of agricultural and food chemistry 24.1 (1976): 187-189.
Fukuda, Kazuyuki C/O Kao Corporation. "PERFUME COMPOSITION." (2014).
Laroe, Earl G., and P. A. Shipley. "Whiskey composition:, formation of alpha-and beta-ionone by the thermal decomposition of beta-carotene."Journal of Agricultural & Food Chemistry 18.1(2002):1013-1017.
- Descriptionα-Ionone has a characteristic violet-like odor. α-Ionone may be prepared by condensing citral with acetone to form pseudoionone, which is then cyclized by acid-type reagents.
- Chemical Propertiesα-Ionone has a warm, woody, berry characteristic violet-like odor. The composition of commercial ionones varies widely in the proportion of α- and β-isomers; the specifications given below refer to the best grade of α- and β-ionones and to a commercial grade that contains both α- and β-ionones.
- Chemical Propertiesclear yellow liquid
- UsesAn aroma compound commonly found in essential oils such as rose oil. It is a degradation products of caratenoids produced by caratenoid cleavage dioxygenases (CCD).
- Purification MethodsPurify α-ionone through a spinning band fractionating column. The semicarbazone has m 157-157.5o (from EtOH) and  D +433o (c 4,
alpha-Ionone Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Ionone Diethylstilbestrol Trimethyl borate alpha-Ionone ISOMETHYL-ALPHA-IONONE,3-METHYL-4-(2,6,6-TRIMETHYL-2-CYCLOHEXEN-1-YL)-3-BUTEN-2-ONE Cyclohexene METHYL IONONE GAMMA Methyl vinyl ketone ISOBUTYL IONONE 1-HYDROXY-4-KETO-2-IONONE ALLYL ALPHA-IONONE,ALLYL ALPHA-IONONE 65+% Irone ISOMETHYL-ALPHA-IONONE,8-Methyl-alpha-ionone,alpha-Ionone, isomethyl-,3-METHYL-4-(2,6,6-TRIMETHYL-2-CYCLOHEXEN-1-YL)-3-BUTEN-2-ONE,(3E)-3-Methyl-4-(2,6,6-trimethyl-2-cyclohexen-1-yl)-3-buten-2-one METHYLIONONE FEMA 2597 PIPERONYL METHYL KETONE 4-(2,6,6-trimethyl-1-cyclohexen-1-yl)-3-buten-2-one (beta-ionone),4-(2,6,6-TRIMETHYL-1-CYCLOHEXEN-1-YL)-3-BUTEN-2-ONE,4-(2,6,6-Trimethyl-1-cyclohexen-l-yl)-3-buten-2-one,E-4-(2,6,6-Trimethyl-1-cyclohexen-1-yl)-3-buten-2-on 2-Cyclohexen-1-one
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390